Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby Girls Thread. . . page 4

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    i think i'm the only girl keeping this one alive, but i might as well talk to myself. LOL

went to practice yesterday that sets us up for fresh meat in january. 2.5 hr practice, no problems. finished breakfast around 10 am -- eggs, veg, and bacon -- and then had practice from 12 to 2:30. was hungry, but got home around 3 and had burger patty and bell pepper strips for a snack. had dinner around 7, so food is really no issue.

i drank water during practice, but didn't need much else.

felt great.

i love that four-point slide/drop/stop. what a fun drill too, of dropping and getting up ASAP. too much fun.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I'm still reading!
    I've found I have no problem with my energy levels during practice at all. Since I quit last season, I'm technically Fresh Meat again so i get to practice with the newbies. I actually enjoy it a lot more and I think I've even improved. It's good to have that space to play.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

True, true. I'm glad you found that you made it through practices no worries as well. Good stuff.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    Wow. People still do Roller Derby? I thought Roller Derby Queen by Jim Croce was the last reference made to that!

Derby News Network, yo. The World Cup starts this week.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrendek View Post
    Wow. People still do Roller Derby? I thought Roller Derby Queen by Jim Croce was the last reference made to that!
    There was a revival of sorts about 2000 and it's pretty huge now. And now we have safety equipment!

yup, the equipment is nice. i love those slides on the knees. don't feel a thing.

baconandlegs is offline Junior Member
    Hey derby girls, wanted to jump in on this thread to represent from sunny California! So good to see a lot of derby representation on MDA!

I've been doing the derbs since Aug 2009 and have casually dabbled in paleo off/on.

I am sadly on leave at the moment for chronic muscle strains in the hip flexors & glutes. Surprisingly, a year of skating through the pain didn't solve my problems! So I'm taking some time off to take care of myself -- I'm doing physical therapy 3x a week and am hope hope hoping that I'll be able to return to derby in the new year.

I was pretty close to strict paleo in Oct 2010 and felt pretty good considering I was going to 3 2-hour practices each week plus 2 crossfit wods. More of my transition symptoms at the beginning were around feeling fuzzy/tired at work, but that passed after a couple days, and then mental clarity was great. In sport, I performed well but feel that I never really dialed it in to get myself fully optimized. I did find that consuming about half a sweet potato after helped with recovery.

Hoping that with the new year my bod will heal and I can start being active again. And diet-wise, through the holidays the plan is to "do no harm" then will start a primal plan in earnest!

PS I am lusting after a new pair of custom skates, and just bought a pair of Juke 2.0s to prepare for my imminent return!

Hey bacon! very wise of you to take some time off and heal. I'm just skating part time right now and I think my permanent left-cheek bruise is healing!

Everyone: in case you haven't seen this yet

Hey Girl.... Roller Derby

that is hilarious otter cat.

i'm loving the photo of the derby girl breast feeding that is making it's rounds on Facebook!

i'm supposedly signed up for fresh meat; I haven't heard back from them. so, hopefully!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast