Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby Girls Thread. . . page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    yeowch! nice one.

i have an epic booty bruise, but htat's because i fell out of my chair about 7 minutes ago. sad, right? here i am, in my office, and i try to stand up for a potty break, and the chair goes flying and i end up on my backside. ouch. unexpected.

there's a practice on tonight, but i can't go because it's on the other side of the universe. OK, the far side of one of the suburbs of town, but without a ride there or home, i'd be in trouble. So, i have to wait until tomorrow night to get on my skates.

no clue about positions yet, i can't even stop properly. i'm working on the t-stop, though everyone tells me the snow plow is easier, but should be learned second anyway.

--

and the way i figure it, if you don't have any other obligations, you could do worse things with your time than derby. LOL

MarissaN is offline Junior Member
    Stopping is something i do well, and not by crashing into a wall or someone else lol. I'm not sure plowing is easier, almost everyone i know in the league as trouble with it, but it is infinitely more useful than a T-Stop. The tomahawk stop is the one i love and am by far the best at. What i do for the Plow stop is go into it on my heels, after i start the plow i apply more pressure to one foot or the other depending on the direction i'm going and lead with it slightly. Usually a noisy process but i stop on a dime.

Anyway, wanted to ask something. You both are eating primal right? I was curious how it has affected your athletic performance. I haven't been doing it very long but so far i feel like i get worn out way to fast.

for me, it's been great. i mean, after i went primal, i just felt better overall. i was vegetarian, and had moved to a new country, so my diet wasn't fab. i wasn't eating the same way i was in the US -- which was mostly green veggies and some beans, eggs and cheese -- but here, it was heavy on grains, potatoes, cheese, and light on everything else (because of prices). Which means that i gained a bit of fat, and i was quite lethargic and stuff.

so, when i went on primal, it was great. first, easy to buy the foods and jsut have a great diet. Second, great sleep. third, lots of energy for exercise -- and we were walking a lot. I would do my sprints home, and did a lot more body-weight stuff.

i've only just started derby, so I don't know how this will change things. i assume that i might need more carbohydrates after hard skates/practices, but not so on more leisurely days. but -- again -- i don't know.

you are your own n=1 really, so you'll figure out what works for you. i practiced t-stopping on the carpet in our offices. LOL

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I plow a lot when I'm positional-blocking because it makes you wide and stable. Basically, if you point your skates inward but don't let your knees come together, you can't move forward. Then if you turn your skates forward you can still slalom in a wide stance.

I use t-stops for casual deceleration, but neither of those are fast stops. For those we usually do turning toe stops (which I suck at). I need to work on tomahawks; I wrecked my ankle doing a tomahawk on my bad side =(
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

skated tonight and managed to get the t-stop (i was, like 8 for 10 or some such), and also did some cool drills. mostly pacing, then zipping from the front of the pacing line around to the back, and then the weaving drill moving in and out of the pacing line. so, that was a lot of fun.

i was showing my husband how the main stance looks like my T-rex impression, and he thought maybe I should be Tea-Rex. LOL

MarissaN is offline Junior Member
    Well the draft was yesterday. I don't think any one wasn't drafted to a team but i went first. I suppose that's good and bad, went to the team with the worst record last year but still a great confidence builder. I'm just happy to be on a team.

The tomahawk stop really does take awhile to get down. If you aren't stepping right and are making a half circle with your back foot, its going to be close to impossible with any kind of speed. For the longest time I could only do that stop to one side but, now i can do it either way but going to the right isn't anywhere near perfect. I tend to drag my foot slightly and wouldn't dare do it at high speeds.

Its funny you mentioned the T-rex things. A friend of mine had a similar idea. She is an official though.

glad that you got onto a team!

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    congrats on getting drafted!

I was just looking at tomahawk stops on YouTube and that's what we call turning toe stops. I killed my ankle doing hockey-stops on the wrong side =)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

my butt hurts today. combination of derby on thursday and gardening like crazy yesterday. pulling up agapanthus is a total pain.

Knocker SocksOff is offline Junior Member
    Hi there, I've been playing derby for almost 5 years and have recently gone Paleo. I'm totally loving the energy I have, but I'm concerned about nutrition before practices. I did open skate last week, and got light headed 45 minutes into it. I did a speed practice on Friday, and made a shake with some protein powder, banana and coconut milk, and that lasted. Is it fine do to this? The thought of a raw egg in my shake makes me gag.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast