Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch! page

Redguy is offline Junior Member

Ouch!

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

As you can see, this is my first post. I elected not to do the Introduce Yourself forum because I wanted to specifically talk about PBF. But here's the lowdown on me anyway...

I'm am 35-year-old redhead. In late 2008 (about this time of year) I was 271 (6' tall). I discovered the Atkins diet plan and read DANDR. Over the next year and a half, I lost 80 pounds. I have maintained that loss for another year and a half. (sort of, but I'll get to that). I have some pictures if people are interested.

Basically, I was sitting at around 190 for that year and a half. My goal weight was 185. It's been very frustrating.

But, I did all of that weight loss with any consistent exercise. I'm pretty out of shape. I decided a couple of months ago to change that. I figured I might be able to lose the the spare tire that I still have and put on some muscle and maybe get 'ripped' for the first time in my life.

I started a routine of my own design. Here it is:

M,W,F: Afternoon "sprint" intervals. 90 seconds moderate pace, 30 seconds maximum effort. Warm up and warm down, 6 intervals, about 25 minutes total.
    M - F: Morning body weight stuff. Assisted pull ups, push ups and lunges
    Sat-Sun: Rest (do nothing)

There were some positive changes to my body composition with this. I'm a little bit more defined and I am a little bit stronger. I can now do 1 unassisted pull up as well. Which is nice to be able to say...

BUT...

I gained 10 pounds right away. We're talking about 3 days into doing this and I was magically 200 pounds, but that's the not the worst part.

My body hurts, even after 2 months of doing this. My joints and my shins ache constantly. And I'm always absolutely dead tired.

I decided there was something wrong with my plan. It just feels wrong. I discovered PBF. I'm going to give it a try. Right now, I'm resting to see if I can get over the soreness. I'm getting better.

So this Sunday or Monday, depending on how I feel, I'm going to start with the Moving Slowly and add in the other parts a few days after that. PBF seems a lot less intense than what I was doing, so if it works, I'm going to hope for shedding the 10 -15 pounds of blubber I've been lugging around. (I'd call myself Skinny-Fat)

My goal: develop a lean, cut physique that allows me to move quickly and play often, without being constantly sore.

Can PBF do that for me?

Galeldor is offline Junior Member
    I ran two marathons and finally my back screamed "NO MORE"! I will tell you that eating the way that is described in the book and the way described in this forum has removed all signs of inflammation and soreness from my body. I can no longer run, but work out in my garage. I body weight exercises only and have also gained weight. However it has been muscle weight only. Give the new way of eating a week or two to flush out the bad things that are causing your pain. For me, this has been life changing. I wish the same for you.

Thanks Galedor.

I haven't read The Primal Blueprint yet. PBF is going to be a trial for me. If I start seeing positive results, I'll grab the book and read it to see what else I can learn.

I know that people's first thought will be, "You need to combine the diet plan with the fitness plan in order for it to work properly." But, after doing a lot of reading on this site, I'd say I already do most of what Mark would recommend doing with my diet. I follow the DANDR version of Atkins, not the Atkins Nutritionals version (with fake foods).

I eat a lot of animals: Pork chops, steak, chicken. I'm not a big fan of fish, however.
    I eat ALOT of plants: I have multiple salads a day. Mostly spinach and romaine, with various other vegetables thrown in. I also eat a lot stand alone stuff like cauliflower and broccoli and asparagus.
    I eat a small amount of berries and nuts: Usually I eat almonds. Maybe 1 handful day. Berries are more rare. Maybe 1 or 2 cups a month.

That being said, there are a couple of changes I'm going to make. I'm going to drop all diet soda from my diet. And I'm going to restrict dairy more (avoid it whenever possible).

But like I said, I'm mainly concerned with PBF in this post. I don't want my first post to be in the wrong place!

Roary is offline Senior Member
    The hardest part is slowing down, believe it or not. I thought, there's no way this can work with a few exercises and "moving slowly." But it did -- I think it has more to do with letting the body relax and function properly instead of being wound up so tight all the time.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Hi there Redguy,

I'll be interested to see how this works out for you. Since you've done Atkins I have a couple of questions - are you in ketosis? Are you clear on the fact that primal is (a) not emphatically low-carb, and (b) encourages healthy fats?

I know you're not looking so much at the intake side of this, but alas it all goes together (eventually). I don't know how many people post here who say they're doing everything right but not seeing results... and then it turns out they're sleeping 5 hours a night and living through constant serious stress (e.g. life or work events as we all have sometimes, beyond our control). You can try one piece without the others but just recognize that it's not a true test of primal living.

The overall system reorients your metabolism to burn fat, not glucose, which alters the way your hormones signal your cells to do different things, like build muscle. And especially when you're looking at the last 10 pounds or so, from what I read that's going to be difficult to assess looking at a scale (since body recomposition will give you a smaller but denser body).

I've read a lot of posts from people who have altered their diet without much effort in the PBF direction and seen results, although more so when folks have more weight to lose. I can't remember reading anyone posting about the other way around, though. I'd say the general thought is that those last 5 or 10 pounds, or becoming really cut, requires a more severe combo of food tweaking AND exercise approaches, a la Leangains for example.

Good luck and I hope it works for you.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    +1 to beachrat...And the Diet Soda absolutely does not help!

Thanks for the input Beachrat. I'm really excited to get started. We'll see how it goes.

I do realize that Primal isn't as strictly low carb as Atkins. That doesn't concern me at all. At this point, I'm not even counting carbs. I haven't done that for a long time. For me, it's more about the type of food I'm eating. The "carb count" takes care of itself.

As far as ketosis goes, I honestly have no idea.

With regard to healthy fats, I think I'm agreement with PB on that too. I'm not aware of any disagreement between PB and Atkins on this point, actually. But I'm far from an expert, of course.

I want to be clear about my expectations too. I don't expect to not do the PB way of living and get all the same results of someone who does. I'm just looking at the exercise plan right now to see if it works for me. If I see a reasonable improvement to my fitness, I plan on getting the PB book and reading it to be able to better understand how it all fits together.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    sounds like you were just over doing it by sprinting 3 times a week plus bodyweight training 5 times a week. id knock that down to m-w-f bodyweight training and sprint once a week.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    As long as Atkins defines healthy fats as saturated animal fats, saturated natural vegetable oils, and olive oil, no problem. To be crystal clear, no processed vegetable oils (soybean, canola, corn, etc.).
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    +1 to Mike Gager. doing proper, all-out running sprints more than once or twice a week is too much. i'd do what you're doing but dial it right back, so you're able to recover from the sprints while still doing other workouts. i went through this a few months ago and was panicking about gaining back all the progress i'd made recently if i took a week off to recover from overtraining... and in that week off, i continued losing weight. magic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast