Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Primal Indian Recipes?? page

FairyRae2 Guest

Primal Fuel

Maba's mention of porkbelly curry got me craving Indian food.

If you love/make Indian food, please share some of your favorite recipes!!!! I used to LOVE going out to a local Indian restaurant, but stopped over a year ago due to my ds's food sensitivities. I'd LOVE to make Indian food more at home, but haven't found recipes I'm madly in love w/.

Also, any Indian cookbooks (mostly primal recipes if possible) you have to recommend would be appreciated! I'd love to find one great one that I could keep going back to!

TIA!

go_ginger_go Guest

The woman with a great Primal blog called www.thisprimallife.com is especially partial to Indian/South Asian food and has some great Primal recipes. Her husband is a photographer, so the pictures are gorgeous. I told her I am ready to move into her house. I love Indian food.

maba is offline Senior Member

FairyRae, most "non-vegetarian" Indian cook-books have a lot of Primal-friendly recipes. Madhur Jaffrey's books are good. Just omit the rice and bread and eat the curries with cauliflower rice. This is a book I got for my sister, she said it's really good (I haven't gone through it myself though):

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Indian-...2717626&sr=8-1

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Holly cow, it's $88.

Maba, how about you just list some of your favorite recipes here?

Oh my, I'm pretty sure I didn't pay more than $25 for the book plus mine was a signed by the author(s).

After turning Primal, I haven't been cooking my usual recipes, but most of them are Indian-inspired, in that I use Indian spices and try to make them primal.

Some Indian pantry staples are:

Cardamom

Cinnamon

cloves

coriander seeds

Cumin

red chili powder

turmeric

bay leaf

ginger-garlic paste

Some quick recipes:

Grilled chicken/lamb marinated in Indian spices

Onion, tomatoes-based meat curry

Coconut milk-based curries

I made this chicken curry when I had guests this weekend and they all enjoyed it.

Heat some oil in a pan, add 2-3 cardamom (optional), 4-5 cloves, 1" cinnamon. After the spices turn fragrant (a few seconds), add thinly sliced onion (2 C or from 1 big onion) and saute till it turns translucent. Add 1 T of ginger-garlic paste (or 3/4 T each of finely chopped ginger and garlic) and fry for a minute making sure the garlic doesn't burn. Add 1/4 tsp of turmeric and fry for a minute. Add 1.5-2 lbs of chicken pieces (I used thighs and tenders) and cook till chicken is 3/4th done. At this point, add chili powder (1/4 - 1 tsp depending on your heat-tolerance and the heat level of the chili powder), 1 T of coriander powder and cook till chicken is fully done. Garnish with lots of chopped cilantro.

Variations:

- Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes before adding the chicken for a sauce-y curry. The above is a dry version.

- Add coconut milk towards the end and cook for a few minutes for a coconut-milk based version.

- Add whisked yoghurt instead of CM for a tangy yoghurty sauce.

- You can play with the spices: add cumin, bay leaf, star anise in the beginning, you can add garam masala along w/ the chili and coriander powders

- You can add fresh mint along with the chicken for a delicious minty flavor

- Replace chili powder with chopped green chilis (must be added along w/ onion)

The variations are endless. You can use lamb, beef or any other meat.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Oh, my. I'm having a hunger attack.

I'm going to have to try that yogurt variation tonight.

What about that porkbelly curry? That sounds great!

CC, replace the chicken in the recipe w/ pork-belly for a pork-belly curry.

This is a South-Beach blog but you'll find plenty of Primal-friendly Indian recipes.

http://blog.sigsiv.com/

Annika is offline Senior Member

Thanks, maba! I will definitely try some of your variations. I used to make a lot of Indian-type veggie or chickpea curries, but I'm not used to making them with meat. I often make a Thai coconut curry, but I LOVE Indian food!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

FairyRae2 Guest

Mmmmm...thanks Maba! Can't wait to try some of your ideas!

And I 2nd the pork belly curry request!

Annika--Thai coconut curry sounds yum! Would you share it even though this is an Indian food thread? I'd love to try it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast