Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFF-based foot shrinkage?! page

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member

VFF-based foot shrinkage?!

Shop Now
    I have weird feet...
    I think they've shrunk one VFF shoe size. This spring I bought my first pair of Bikila LS size 39 (after being unable to cram into a velcro Komodosport 39 without mashing a ring toe into oblivion) and worked out in them all summer, and picked up a Komodosport LS 39 as well. (I was in the States all summer and VFFs are virtually unfindable in the UK, so I thought I'd stock up.) And errr.... now they're both too... big?

Wtf happened there??? They certainly aren't too voluminous or wide. God knows that's where my feet NEED to shrink (and in fact they've gotten wider - BUGGER ). No, they appeared to drop one size in length - so now I have two very lovely pairs of VFFs that are just a hair too long. WHAT? and WHY?

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    What may have happened your feet got stronger and tightened up causing the shortening. Normally feet elongate from musculature getting weaker.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Do you have flat feet? Walking barefoot strengthens your arch muscles, so as you rebuild your arch your feet will contract. The opposite effect will happen if you were to have high arches.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 09-17-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    How much did you weigh before, and how much do you weigh now?

When I lost weight I also lost shoe sizes. I not only had to replace my entire wardrobe, I had to replace my shoes too.

I'm only 15 pounds down. I guess I have high arches, but they've always (according to CW!) caused major major overpronation hence shin splints hence orthotics -- till this March when I went barefoot and stopped with the chronic cardio running in favor of bodyweight intervals. I suppose I'll wear out these pairs of VFFs and pick up some 38s when I go back to the US next year or something!

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I lost weight and so did my feet. Now my Wesco boots are comfortably loose so I can wear thick wool socks again. I had been unjustly blaming their excessive tightness on the factory rebuild. Also, those handbuilt White ropers that I got from Goodwill will be just right.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Tiki is offline Junior Member
    Another thought...the VFFs are sized differently depending on the style. So you may be a 39 in the Classic and a 40 in the Bikila. Worth checking the size chart before any worry.
    --------------------------------
    Primal since July 2011

i tried everything on before i bought, and they DEFINITELY fit at the time. they were even a little snug at the time. now both - both the more broken in pair and the new pair - are definitely slightly slack. it's my feet for sure.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Melissa from Hunt Gather Love had a whole blog post about shrinking feet (the consensus was that as our arches get stronger, the foot is more contracted and shorter).
    My shoes have def. gotten bigger since I started walking in minimalist shoes (and I didn't lose appreciable weight, so that's not the case).

peril is offline Senior Member
    You can adjust the velcro on the heel of the komodos to shorten them. I thought mine were too small till I figured this out
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast