Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paleo bread's that actual stick together? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

paleo bread's that actual stick together?

I know gluten is the primary reason traditional bread sticks together, but I'm curious if there are any recipes out there you guys have tried where the bread doesn't crumble up when you pick it up or use it as a sandwich?

I'm going to try this recipe and see what happens. I'll report back and let you guys know if I approve!

Ingredients

* 2/3 cup flax meal
    * 1/3 cup almond meal
    * 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * Pepper to taste
    * Salt to taste
    * Approximately 3 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
    * 2 eggs
    * Optional can add crushed thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary or cinnamon to taste
    * Water to make the batter pourable

Directions
    1. In mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat eggs together. Mix all ingredients and pour batter into regular loaf pan. Oil pan.
    2. 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until baked thru-out.
    Provided by: Group Recipes
    - Flax Meal

Here is a similar recipe from Elana's Pantry: Paleo Bread | Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe | Elana's Pantry

I made it, and really enjoyed it; it was firmer than any other paleo/primal bread I have ever made, and the taste of it was pretty fantastic. I did have to bake it for about 10 more minutes than the recipe states, and I just used a regular loaf pan lined with parchment paper instead of the loaf pan she recommends.
    "Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind."

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Chebe bread mix, which is basically tapioca starch and sea salt, is wonderful, if you eat starches like that. Manioc flour comes from a root, so it's grain-free. I think that it's so much better than baking nut and seed flours at high temps.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by fishergirl106 View Post
    Here is a similar recipe from Elana's Pantry: Paleo Bread | Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe | Elana's Pantry

I made it, and really enjoyed it; it was firmer than any other paleo/primal bread I have ever made, and the taste of it was pretty fantastic. I did have to bake it for about 10 more minutes than the recipe states, and I just used a regular loaf pan lined with parchment paper instead of the loaf pan she recommends.
    Thanks! I'll have to try this one as well.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Chebe bread mix, which is basically tapioca starch and sea salt, is wonderful, if you eat starches like that. Manioc flour comes from a root, so it's grain-free. I think that it's so much better than baking nut and seed flours at high temps.
    +1

Most "primal baking" makes me cringe. Exposing polyunsaturated fats to high heats over long periods of time is just terrible for you body.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    +1

Most "primal baking" makes me cringe. Exposing polyunsaturated fats to high heats over long periods of time is just terrible for you body.
    isn't tapioca starch non-primal? from an amazon source I see the ingredients for the chebe mix as this:

Manioc (tapioca) flour, modified manioc starch (100% manioc), iodine-free sea salt, cream of tartar, sodium bicarbonate.

Where I can get a natural chebe mix free from modified stuff?

thanks guys f

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    You can make the chebe bread rolls using pure tapioca starch with the following recipe:

Gluten Free Pao de Quejo ~ Cheese Bread
    Makes 12 – 1 1/2 inch wide biscuits/rolls

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups tapioca flour (same thing as tapioca starch)

2 cups shredded cheese (we used an Italian blend)

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs

1/4 cup melted butter

2 teaspoons dill

2 teaspoons dried chives
    Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 450F.
    2. Mix together all ingredients in your mixer well.
    3. Form in to balls (about 1 1/2 inches or 2 inches) and slightly flatten. (Almost make them in to small disks, if you want them to look like what is in the picture… or leave them as puffed balls! You decide!)
    4. Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
    5. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden brown.
    6. Serve warm with sandwich fixings or your favorite soup.

so carb wise, is it better to stick with nut based breads (almond flour, coconut flour) as opposed to tapioca starch? Unsure what the nutritional breakdown is for these types of bread.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i just made the bread recipe in the OP. i think its either missing some ingredients or is not intended as a loaf style bread. the ingredients as listed do not rise and in a loaf style pan only covers the bottom 3/4" when done cooking. also taste isnt so great either
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tapioca starch is fine--it's from a root. It's carby, though, if you're worried about such things.

You could also try Rivvin's angry bread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast