Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me set a goal weight! And other things. page

kcarol is offline Senior Member

Old thread!

Old thread!
    Last edited by kcarol; 03-29-2013 at 12:32 AM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I would really encourage you to read today's success story, the followup on the Unconquerable Dave (and the original piece done on him, if you haven't seen that). He embodies the true spirit of everything this is about. See how he's not hung up on any numbers and he just goes outside and lifts things and carries them around in "God's gym" and he's zen about it all?

I truly mean this in a loving way: you're coming off as a bit neurotic. It's likely you don't even realize it. Don't worry -- it's nothing that some sunshine, climbing a tree, unplugging, and some yoga won't fix.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

you do not want to lose muscle. actually that answers your second question, the reason the folks you see dont have sagging skin after losing fat is because they have maintained or increased their lean body mass (muscle)

as for #3 i avoid fruit since im trying to lose a bunch of weight some people do ok with it though

i found this list that might help

High Fructose foods:
    Apple, Mango, pear, peach (yellow), sugar snap peas, watermelon, honey, fructose/fructose syrup.

High Fructose Loads:
    fruit juice, dried fruit, tinned fruit in natural juice, larges serves of tomato or concentrated sauces.

Polyols (sorbitol & manitol):
    Apple, apricot, blackberry, cherry, lychee, nashi pears, nectarine, pears, plum/prune, watermelon, avocado, snow peas, cauliflower, mushroom, artificially sweetened gums/mints, some low sugar products.

Fructans:
    asparagus, artichoke (globe 7 jerusalem), beetroot, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, fennel, garlic, leek, okra, onion (white, red, shallots, white section of spring onion, and powder), peas, peach(white), watermelon, wheat, rye, chickory root, dandelion tea, inulin/FOS.

* Also
    NO
    honey dew melon, pawpaw/papaya, star fruit, quince, nashi fruit, guava, agave, sultana, currant, red ripe tomato, raisin, figs, chutnet, relish, plum, BBQ sauce, sweet & sour sauce, coconut
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 09-16-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

you do not want to lose muscle. actually that answers your second question, the reason the folks you see dont have sagging skin after losing fat is because they have maintained or increased their lean body mass (muscle)

as for #3 i avoid fruit since im trying to lose a bunch of weight some people do ok with it though

i found this list that might help

High Fructose foods:
    Apple, Mango, pear, peach (yellow), sugar snap peas, watermelon, honey, fructose/fructose syrup.

High Fructose Loads:
    fruit juice, dried fruit, tinned fruit in natural juice, larges serves of tomato or concentrated sauces.

Polyols (sorbitol & manitol):
    Apple, apricot, blackberry, cherry, lychee, nashi pears, nectarine, pears, plum/prune, watermelon, avocado, snow peas, cauliflower, mushroom, artificially sweetened gums/mints, some low sugar products.

Fructans:
    asparagus, artichoke (globe 7 jerusalem), beetroot, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, fennel, garlic, leek, okra, onion (white, red, shallots, white section of spring onion, and powder), peas, peach(white), watermelon, wheat, rye, chickory root, dandelion tea, inulin/FOS.

* Also
    NO
    honey dew melon, pawpaw/papaya, star fruit, quince, nashi fruit, guava, agave, sultana, currant, red ripe tomato, raisin, figs, chutnet, relish, plum, BBQ sauce, sweet & sour sauce, coconut
    Wow, thank you so much for that link!

So there are different types of muscle? There's a possibility I'll lose muscle and replace it with denser muscle, or something like that? That sounds great! I feel like I don't have dense muscle. I'm a weakling.

And the list is fabulous! I really would like to avoid fruit too. Hey--out of curiousity, do you think if I really focused on strength and heavy lifting, the dense muscle gains would sculpt my body better and prevent the loose skin?

I'm sure there's no real true answer, but if it's possible, that would be pretty sick.

Thanks!

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcarol View Post
    Hey--out of curiousity, do you think if I really focused on strength and heavy lifting, the dense muscle gains would sculpt my body better and prevent the loose skin?
    absolutely

Quick question: how did you determine body fat %?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Quick question: how did you determine body fat %?
    Oh, I had a personal trainer friend who lent me um...one of those electric ones that you just hold? Do you know what those are called?

Good point. How accurate are those measurements anyway?

Yeah, the Omron brand? I actually have that. Also recently got calipers but haven't played with them. Seems like the Omron is pretty accurate.

I've got to roll, but will check back on this thread. Short answers: I'd worry less about a hard target goal and just get into the process. You can re-evaluate as you go, but getting into good dietary habits is more important. Also, if you're going LC, I'd avoid some fruits (bananas, apples) and keep it to berries. The PB avoid potatoes, but gives a lot of leeway with veggies. I wouldn't be too afraid of the natural sugars in vegetables though. You'd have to eat a buttload of veggies to really overdo the carbs.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Yeah, the Omron brand? I actually have that. Also recently got calipers but haven't played with them. Seems like the Omron is pretty accurate.

I've got to roll, but will check back on this thread. Short answers: I'd worry less about a hard target goal and just get into the process. You can re-evaluate as you go, but getting into good dietary habits is more important. Also, if you're going LC, I'd avoid some fruits (bananas, apples) and keep it to berries. The PB avoid potatoes, but gives a lot of leeway with veggies. I wouldn't be too afraid of the natural sugars in vegetables though. You'd have to eat a buttload of veggies to really overdo the carbs.

Good luck!
    I can't remember the brand, but it was one of those. Well, I'm glad to hear they're accurate!

I'm also going to go get some probiotics. I don't want dairy, and can't think of stomaching kimchi or sauerkraut. Can I take probiotic supplements and run with that?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alright, so I guess this is day 1 again. I started paleo on the 12th, like many other newcomers, but caved in on the 4th day. I found myself without food in the house and, because I live with my family still, I had only processed junk left. I ate it.

But, today it really starts again. I just have one major problem I'm currently trying to search for: what about low energy?

Honestly, I'm not just talking a little fatigue. Like, I'm yawning right now and my eyes are glazed over. The first 3 days of paleo, I napped in the middle of the day! For about 2 to 3 hours! That's very ridiculous to me.

Of course, I did pull an all-nighter Sunday night, and I am very deficient in vitamin D. I was just looking around the forum, and I heard that these are two big things you must get under control before complaining about lack of energy.

Well, here's my food for the day:

Breakfast:
    1 cup of chamomile tea & a few scoops of coconut milk, 30-60 grams (sweetened with stevia)
    6 strips of bacon

Lunch:
    bunch of greens in vinaigrette
    chicken leg, sprinkled with coconut butter

Dinner:
    8 oz beef
    cup of tea and more coconut milk, 30-60 grams (sweetened with liquid stevia)

(note: may have tea with coconut milk and stevia whenever I feel like it. I try to dilute the coconut milk to only 30ish grams, so I'm only getting about 1.6 g/carbs per cup. I am a recovering Starbucks junkie. This has been helping significantly with the transition!)

Supplements:
    Jarrow's probiotic formula
    Gymnema (which I think I won't take anymore. It's supposed to balance blood sugar levels, but with my diet, I don't need any help with that.)
    Vitamin D, 7500 IU
    I had some L-carnitine lying in the fridge. I remembered some reading I did back in the day on how it helps with energy. I'm going to take at least 2 swigs a day! Hopefully this will help with everything, especially my brain fog. Brain fog is NOT okay when you have a calculus test in 72 hours.

Acetyl L carnitine is able to cross the blood-brain barrier. Although your brain makes up only 2% of your weight, it accounts for 20% of your body’s energy consumption. This is why it’s so vital that the mitochondria in your brain cells work properly – so they can supply your brain cells with the energy they need. In research and clinical studies, acetyl L carnitine benefits have been associated with a number of degenerative brain conditions.
    Carnitine helps “feed” the mitochondria so they can do their job. In fact, without carntine, the long chain fatty acids would not be able to enter the mitochondria membrane. The “short” and “medium” chain fats can do it alone, but the long chain fats need carnitine to transport it through the membrane so they can be metabolized.
    This website also recommends alpha lipoic acid also be taken with L-carnitine. Great, another supplement I don't have the money for.

So it looks like my carb intake is a piece of crap. However, I haven't given this enough time. My mind wants to shut down and sleep. It might be carb detox. What law of motion states that an object at rest stays at rest? I'm trying to think: why would this diet, supposedly healthier than SAD, give me less energy than SAD? If people can subsist off Snickers, I should be able to suck it up and go outside and run. I'm not sure if this is the right mentality, but anyway, I'm hoping I can encourage my body to start kicking into a higher-energy state by being active and forcing my body to realize this isn't a time to save all the energy.

Considering I'm avoiding fructose, nuts and starches, how the hell am I supposed to get carbs up anyway? How can I increase carbs if I'm avoiding carbs? Makes no sense!

Okay, course of action: get more sunlight, regulate sleep, increase fat consumption, and maybe go to the store and fork out some ALA.
    Last edited by kcarol; 09-18-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast