Thread: My success story - I think I'm finally off the roller coaster page

Pseudomotive is offline Junior Member

My success story - I think I'm finally off the roller coaster

Back in April of 2006 this is what I looked like:

I was 20 years old. I weighed about 235 pounds - the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I was in my sophomore year at college, and I spent an alarming amount of time playing video games online. My diet consisted of the worst selections at the dining hall, and every meal there left me stuffed. I also drank a lot. Lots of beer, and lots of booze. Not a healthy lifestyle.

When I left college that year I decided I needed to make change. I cancelled my subscription to my online video game and joined a gym with two friends. I worked out there 5 or 6 times a week for about 1.5 hours a day. I changed my diet - I counted calories, I watched my fat intake, I ate a lot of soup and turkey sandwiches, and I rarely had any alcohol.

When I went back to school for my Junior year I looked like this:

I weighed in at about 190 lbs (the only metric I had for weight loss until very recently). I felt amazing. I was so happy to have all that weight off of me. I thought I was a forever transformed man, and that all of my weight loss worries were behind me.

The next year I studied in Germany, where I walked almost everywhere (lots of public transportation and no car) and I also took up rock climbing. I was still weighing myself almost daily and if memory serves me correctly I was down to somewhere around 183ish pounds. I was climbing indoors 3 or 4 times a week for around 4 or 5 hours each visit, and I looked like this:

Then in July of 2008 I came back to the US and had my last year of college. Between school, a small band I played in on weekends at bars, and my new girlfriend (who I'm happy to say I'll be marrying next month!) I didn't leave much time for my health. I was (and still am) obsessed with climbing, but I wasn't doing it as often as in Germany, nor for as long as I had been for each session. Without my knowing it, weight crept back on. I looked like this in winter of 2009:

So in July of that year my girlfriend and I started up P90x. We both finished the program with maybe 3 missed days a piece. It was an incredible time commitment and it took a TON of energy and dedication. I was eating pretty well, but no means was I following the P90X dietary plan. I believe I got down somewhere to around 173 pounds at my most fit during P90X.

But - and maybe you're seeing a pattern here - after our 90 days on the program was over the workout schedule fell apart. My workout routine had no structure, and P90X had left my left knee bothering me. Over the next year I maintained a weight between 180 and 185 lbs, but here's what I looked like (at 180 pounds) ~7 weeks ago, the day that I discovered Mark's Daily Apple and decided to change my life in a way that I've never done bore - with my diet:

I'd like to note that this was the first picture I'd EVER taken of myself with my gut all let out. I honestly can't remember the last time before this picture that I'd let my stomach be anything but fully sucked in and at its least embarrassing. So. You know the drill - I went primal. I'd say I'm about 90% primal - I eat dairy, and an occasional cracker or small piece of pie/cake at celebrations, but other than that I've been pretty strict. I've been primal now for 6 1/2 weeks now, and look what's happened:

(I've been taking photos each week to keep track of my progress.)

So: Over the past 6 weeks I've lost 10 pounds and have a pretty consistant weight of ~170 pounds (the lightest I've EVER been). My pants are all loose - I think I've lost ~1 inch of my waistline, and have lost ~2% body fat (down to ~18% if the online calculators are right). I'm stronger than ever - I've already graduated from mostly level 4 LHT workouts to mostly level 5's, and I have so much energy! Working out my lower body (which I never wanted to do as climber - "I don't want extra bulk to pull up the wall!") has left me feeling balanced and strong. My knee is getting better every day as well! I feel great - and most importantly: this way of life is healthy on every level and 100% sustainable.

The funny thing? I'm workout out less than I have been since I finished P90X, and I'm in much much MUCH better shape.

That's the key. I know I'm not going to just relapse into bad habits again - because there's no 'finishing' being primal - and I don't WANT to eat like I did before.

I would like to thank both Mark and the entire Primal/Paleo community for everything they've done to get the word out about this way of life. You all have changed my life for the better in so many ways.
    Last edited by Pseudomotive; 09-19-2011 at 06:50 AM.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    awesome! great job!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

gingernut is offline Senior Member
    WOW!!! Your fiancee is one lucky lady! ;-)
    Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

BCingyou is offline Member
    Really great, very nice.

I'm sure some of us who aspire to post a success story are wondering... how did you make that .gif with multiple pictures?

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by BCingyou View Post
    I'm sure some of us who aspire to post a success story are wondering... how did you make that .gif with multiple pictures?
    I made the gif in photoshop CS5 - here's a tutorial I found that sums up the steps.

BCingyou is offline Member
    ah ok thanks. Unfortunately I use linux at home so there's no photoshop, but I'm sure that some open-source genius has created a tool for making GIFs.

Congratulations again, I'm not at the point yet of posting a "success story" so reading these really helps.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I was totally excited for you until I saw you're getting married.

No just kidding. Awesome transformation! Congrats on feeling better, as well as looking better

Also, was it Warcraft? Cause yeah, recovering WoW addict here. I quit because of grad school, but I didnt go back because I wanted to be awesome in REAL life and spend my evenings getting exercise and having IRL adventures.

But i do still miss it, sometimes. ;p
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful! And I love the animated gif - awesome.

mammlouk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCingyou View Post
    ah ok thanks. Unfortunately I use linux at home so there's no photoshop, but I'm sure that some open-source genius has created a tool for making GIFs.

Congratulations again, I'm not at the point yet of posting a "success story" so reading these really helps.
    GIMP can make animated gifs easily.
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Also, was it Warcraft? Cause yeah, recovering WoW addict here. I quit because of grad school, but I didnt go back because I wanted to be awesome in REAL life and spend my evenings getting exercise and having IRL adventures.

But i do still miss it, sometimes. ;p
    Hahaha....yyyyyep. It was WoW. I was playing that game for an unholy amount of time. I'm happy to say that I quit cold Turkey one night after I realized it was like 2:30 in the morning and I was clicking mindlessly - killing imaginary electronic monsters to get imaginary electronic items so I could make an imaginary electronic cloak to sell for imaginary electronic gold to buy an imaginary electronic animal to move faster between imaginary electronic places...

So I sold all of my stuff, cancelled my subscription, uninstalled WoW and threw away the DVDs, and joined a gym. Best decision of my life. Glad you and I reached the same decision.