Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Article on Natural Movement and Functional Training page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

New Article on Natural Movement and Functional Training

Shop Now
    I just posted a new article on Natural Movement and Functional Training. Feedback appreciated!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Skimmed it for now. Looked good, I'll be reading it later.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Did you get a chance to check it out yet, Alex?

(Also figured I'd bump this thread for the rest of you in case you missed it!)
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Great article Al. I notice the same thing with my kids (that you mentioned with the father/son). I love the funtional movement (body weight workouts) idea, but I think ditching the oly bar is almost harder than ditching wheat.
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Yup, it's a great article. And I'm now jealous of that kid, because I always fall backwards when I try to do that.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    Al, yoru observation about the little boy picking up the ball with good form is interesting and something I have noticed. last spring I got a truck full of compost for our garden and let my 2 kids help me shovel it. I noticed that both my 5 yo daughter and 3 yo son woulduse perfect form bending, and shoveling and what not. Its really us deconditioning ourselves that leads to bad form in many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Great article Al. I notice the same thing with my kids (that you mentioned with the father/son). I love the funtional movement (body weight workouts) idea, but I think ditching the oly bar is almost harder than ditching wheat.
    You don't have to ditch the bar! Like I said in the article, weighted squats, deadlifts and presses are all excellent, functional choices. Just make sure you get your pull-ups and push-ups in too!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Yup, it's a great article. And I'm now jealous of that kid, because I always fall backwards when I try to do that.
    Haha - thanks! That's my nephew by the way. He doesn't know it yet, but he's gonna be a beast in another few years.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post
    Al, yoru observation about the little boy picking up the ball with good form is interesting and something I have noticed. last spring I got a truck full of compost for our garden and let my 2 kids help me shovel it. I noticed that both my 5 yo daughter and 3 yo son woulduse perfect form bending, and shoveling and what not. Its really us deconditioning ourselves that leads to bad form in many things.
    Exactly!

simplyryde is offline Member
    That was a well written article, AL. You are preaching to the choir with me. For someone that has not thought of functional fitness, this is a great primer.

Now, I work with endurance athletes, and getting them to drop the junk miles, and pick up a weight is impossible.

Thanks! Maybe you could share this article with some of your endurance athletes.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I fully agree with you on the kids having the right form and not thinking about it.

When I am coaching a new athlete in running, I will take them to a local park and just have them sit and watch the kids run for a while, pointing out the ease in which they transition from walking to running and especially sprinting. Its a real eye opener.

I just put a 50 foot rope up high in one of the heritage oaks at my parents house. We now have a grerat climbing rope. Talk about natural movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast