Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to Look for in Sunglasses? page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

What to Look for in Sunglasses?

Primal Fuel
    I've never been much of a sunglasses wearer and haven't owned a pair in years. Now I read that UV light is a major cause of cataracts and macular degeneration, so naturally I want to take steps to prevent this. Looking online at sunglasses, I realize I don't know what's the best type to get. So far I have: get the lightest tint (so the pupil doesn't dilate) and make sure it has UVA/B protection (finding this out is confusing because many of the glasses online just say "UV protection" or "maximum UV protection"). Anything else I should know before heading out to buy sunglasses?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Nion is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the link, Nion. I did a search on here and didn't see that one. I was surprised to read that there's a possibility that sun exposure might help prevent myopia. I've been nearsighted for nearly 10 years now. My need for driving glasses coincides with an increase in computer use (for a job I took). Before taking that job and needing to stare at a computer screen for hours a day, I had excellent vision and could see very far away. I happened to spot a book today at the library about improving vision with eye exercises and am going to see if the techniques help any. One of the tips in the book is to wear sunglasses outside, so that's why I'm interested now in buying a pair.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Well, some of us HAVE to be sunglass coinneususureres... experts.

My eyes are fairly light sensitive so most days I need to wear sunglasses, I also need them for some of my hobbies. Figure out if you're going to performance from the glass, or look, as there is little quality bleed over in the styles.

If you're going the pragmatic route, higher end brands will say more than just UV protection, and will tell you if it's UVA, UVB, or both. Additionally, there is polarization, which you should avoid IMO because it distorts your vision ever so slightly, which can lead to headaches. I recently dropped $400 on some Oakley Flak Jackets because I needed some particular performance:
    - Large area of protection
    - Tight fit
    - Ballistics Rated ("bulletproof") lenses
    - Light
    - Minimal visual distortion
    - Exchangable lenses

The frames were spendy, but I've bought three different sets of lenses for fishing (only time polarization is appropriate), shooting, and sports. All are practically unbreakable, UVA/B resistant, fit perfectly and allow minimal light in from the sides. They look... meh, ok. They are not Maui Jims, that's for sure. I also have a light tint set of throw away lenses that I can use for the computer screen. Additionally, my contacts protect v. uva/uvb.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Go polarized! They are really handy:

When biking, oil spots on the road will show up as pitch black or bright spots, so you can avoid them.
    You can also see through the reflection on windshields of oncoming cars to tell if the driver is looking at you or his/her cellphone. Good information to have whether biking, walking, running or driving!

I love my Maui Jim's, but they were mismarked at Nordstrom for $65 rather than $365, and they have a policy of honoring the tag no matter what. :-)
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big spender. Wal-Mart back in the sporting goods section have safety/shooting glasses. Clear, tinted, yellow, rose, etc. $4.99 per pair and they last me a long time. If I lose them (which I do from time to time), no problem. I have had the expensive Bolles and Oakleys, IMHO, these do just as good a job for hundreds less. If you require safety glasses at work, these meet all the ANSI standards that are required.

I refuse to spend more money on a pair of sunglasses than it takes to feed a family for the month in some countries.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I had to spend a bit on mine anyway, since they are prescription, but I went for polarized aviator-style.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to second the thought on polerization. I probably should look for more things in my glasses past "do they make me look stupid" and whether or not they are polerized. However- with all the water and snow in Michigan- I really think that's a must for the glare-factor.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnk View Post
    Go polarized! They are really handy:

When biking, oil spots on the road will show up as pitch black or bright spots, so you can avoid them.
    You can also see through the reflection on windshields of oncoming cars to tell if the driver is looking at you or his/her cellphone. Good information to have whether biking, walking, running or driving!

I love my Maui Jim's, but they were mismarked at Nordstrom for $65 rather than $365, and they have a policy of honoring the tag no matter what. :-)
    First off, lucky bastard.

I didn't know that about polarization. I only put them in for fishing.

Sunglasses are like cars and computers. Sure, you can go for the cheap seats, like a civic, netbook, or walmart's finest, or you can go midgrade like Spy, Bolle, Camry, Apple. Or you can get the best available like those damn fine Maui Jims, BMW M3s, and Sager computers.

Your choice.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The pros and cons with polarized sunglasses is making my head spin. Reducing the glare of snow in winter and while driving sounds good, but if there's a risk of them giving me headaches, I think I'll probably pass. Before going PB, I had daily headaches and don't want to go back to that.

Randal, that's a good idea about checking out the sporting goods section. I'm looking for the least expensive pair of UVA/B protection I can get my hands on.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast