Page 96 of 181 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 96

Shop Now
    I actually got to my best distance in February (9 miles), but overdid it, hence the beginning of the end of my foot. Went out for a trail run with Mrs. FW and Ralphie the Wonder Dog last night, which again is not a great distance, but you start by going up almost 45 degrees (much like the hill runs), and then you're up and down along the spine of the trail, avoiding roots, slick spots, and making sure you have stable footing, so it can be a real killer, too. Have to stop at the top just to catch your breath before you get going. On good days, like yesterday, I feel light and fast, core tight, feet dancing perfectly. Mrs. FW kept a nice pace right behind me. It's a fun thing, and the dog loves it too.

When I started running, I could barely go a half mile without killer shin splints, and of course huffing my lungs out. Guess that's what 25 years of getting your exercise by lifting a beer mug/wine glass will do for you. Did some research into chi running/Pose/Evolution, ditched the sneakers for water shoes, and aside from this foot thing have had zero pain in the usual stress areas (knees, ankles, heels). It's kind of cool because I felt like my progress was really, really slow, a lot of work, just gutting it out, and then gradually it shifted over to something enjoyable, especially running in the woods. You get to the point where you can even run in extreme weather (cold, hot), and miss it when you don't get out for a while. Worked great for me, and I think as I transition back to more running I'll crunch my plateau and get down some more weight.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I really love walking. I can work stuff out in my head much better when my feet are moving and since I usually have at least one furry friend with me, the happy vibes seem to sprial

Can't wait for this ankle thing to resolve - icing it right now (gives me an excuse to screw around on the computer instead of getting some work done).

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I do need to get walking, I know. However, I am at least spending time most days outside in the garden. It's a step in the right direction-ish. And I'll be picking up a bale of straw this afternoon, so there's a little lifting. It's straw, so it's not exactly LHT, but at least it's the right motion?

Wonder- I think what you did was review Couch to 5k. (I tried it once, I lasted a week)

Oh- my friend also told me that I'd be "a challenge" for any corporate manager. I told him that was a nice way of putting it. (He's management- which works for him)

Men. All I want is strong, intelligent, and interesting in a single body. I keep tripping over Patrick's posts recently. Oh, Patrick! The mountains are still practically in my back yard! *sigh* until then, I need to tell "strong" that he might miss me, but it ain't gonna happen, and tell "intelligent and interesting" that I'm going to see the Avengers with or without him because I'm tired of waiting. Still waiting to hear back from Garden Guy. Oh well. Whatever on that front. (I am going to chase him down to pick his brain, but it's looking like that will be it)

L- WF salad and sparkly water
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I have found that working outside in the garden or otherwise = lots of walking. With 2 acres and forgetful brain plus things that are always breaking I spend lots of time walking back to the garage or house to get stuff I forgot. And bales of straw are not all that light plus if you have to carry that sucker a ways, you need to have some strength/endurance - so maybe you aren't the weakling you pretend to be!

As they say, it's all relatives. If it isn't one thing, it's your mother I'm weak compared to what I have been/should be. For a girl, particularly a girl my size, I'm not terrible. Just not impressive.

I was thinking straw relative to hay. And forget alfalfa. The bale was heavier than I remember (probably because I'm weaker) and it was bigger than I'd expected. Oh well. Lots to use, then I ended up mulching a little around the peppers and tomatoes, too, to help with moisture retention since they're plants not seedlings. I'll mulch more around the 'taters when they get a little bigger. I got the straw down before the rain got serious, so it should be nice and wet.

Ok, folks, so how do I get a picture up? I can't remember and I don't feel like searching when it'd be easy for one of you computer people to explain it to me.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you upload to a site like imageshack.us or photobucket.com, you can use the codes in the [ ] to share here. Just copy and paste.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Mine was saved as a jpg file and bam it just comes up.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Mine was saved as a jpg file and bam it just comes up.
    Yup, if you have it saved on your computer as a jpg you can upload it directly.

Ah hah! Me in chaps

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by drssgchic; 05-24-2012 at 08:52 AM.

canio6 Guest
    wtb magnifying glass.