Page 95 of 181 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 95

Primal Fuel
    Sweet banana peppers and cowhorn hot peppers (until this year) was the only thing I've attempted to grow. I can eat 4 or 5 peppers per meal in the summer, I loves em.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    It was three each of a yellow bell, a chili, and a jalapeno. I think mine is a green bell? I don't eat peppers, but she swears she loves 'em. *shrug*

I have beets and turnips in my beds, and we put parsnips in hers. I, um, hope they put up with the dog-prints that are in the bed. The dog is still learning "get out of the garden!" I'm also still learning to close the gate when I'm in there.

I have radish sprouts in my beds! Woo hoo! (there's a reason people grow them, they pop up quick!)

Um, Mud Flinger- I kinda just grabbed beans and figured I'd pick 'em young for greenbeans. Will that work? I also re-read the package and they're bush beans instead of climbing beans. Drat. They get the trellis anyway.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I eat the bean young - then it's mostly the pod and not the seed you are consuming and better for you. Plant your bush beans in another spot and buy some pole beans for your trellis later. It's best to stagger bean plantings so that you can spread out the harvest instead of a bumper crop and then nothing. You can always share any extra bean seeds with a fellow gardener or plant them in one of your showcase gardens. I'm a brat so I would probably plant them in an unplated neighbor's square and mark them with "bean" markers and let them wonder who the phantom planter was. They may even be grateful!

Dang it, already planted the beans beside the trellis. Hmm, maybe I can just bend the trellis and find some proper greenbeans. I was figuring on just eating them early, whatever they ended up being. Or maybe I can plan them on the other side of the trellis? I wonder how mad they'd be about being a bit shady. They were talking about having some tupperware containers for us to leave extra seeds in for seed sharing. I can always ditch them there if I don't like them.

L- walk, greek yogurt/strawberries
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

How's the walking going? You were saying before your energy during walks = shit.

I'm just getting back to running a bit, but still not back to 3-4 days/week like I was before the fucking foot turned into fucking hamburger. Or as older people sometimes say, "hamburg." I did a short 1.5 miler Saturday, but it was all hills: my lungs flopped out of my chest cavity and swam around on the ground in a pool of blood for a few minutes after that, but overall I felt pretty good. My grand plan to lose 10# before the class reunion, however, has resulted in a net loss of zero pounds.

Strawberries. I am loving strawberries right now.

In the miasma of my back yard, I have some stuff utterly choked out by weeds, including a few strawberry and asparagus plants. Dammit. But, bright side, I have 4 raspberry brambles that have gained the upper hand on the devil weeds and should be kicking out bowls o' lovelies for my greedy consumption in a few weeks.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Beans are super forgiving so do whatever - really! The strawberries are awesome right now - I got some for the kids and tasted them today and WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I did a short 1.5 miler Saturday, but it was all hills: my lungs flopped out of my chest cavity and swam around on the ground in a pool of blood for a few minutes after that, but overall I felt pretty good.
    That's an awesome image. Sorry you had to experiance it, though.

Yeah, what did happen to the two of us, like, behaving ourselves? How long do you have now before the reunion? It might still be possible.

The walking. Yes. Just today I was thinking "my god I'm weak. This is pathetic." Possibly because I haven't been walking at lunch. Or after work. Just possibly.

Berries! Ooh- hey, I think I'll actually be around to go to the farmer's market on Saturday. Wonder what they have . . . Careful with the raspberries- they might become the devil weeds choking out everything else My parents are currently prepping a plot for moving the raspberries Grandpa had put in the garden that's in their care now. Per Dad- *grumble, grumble* You don't plant raspberries in a garden. *grumble, grumble*

I think I'll just plant them on the other side of the trellis, then. It was going to go on the North edge of the garden- so it didn't shade out anything else. Then I realized, duh, I could have summer lettuce growing in said shade instead of skipping it or having to rig up something else.

232#. And I didn't have icecream when they flagged down the icecream truck at the garden. I hate my life.

S- 2 packets of almond butter (the guilty party?)
    D- ground beef and cheese over kale, spiked italian soda.
    B- tea/cream, cottage cheese, coffee/cream

Last night I got pictures of the warm-weather crops that I'd put on on Monday for the blog, and saw that my garlic is sprouting even though it was planted in May. We'll see if it has enough time to make bulbs. Did you know that bulbs are just modified leaves?

I also talked to a friend of mine from Maryland. You know the kind that loves you enough to call you on your bullshit? He's one of them. He helped me get some clarity on the job thing and told me to get out of my head. I do tend to think myself into immobility. Mud Flinger- he told me that what I think of myself really has nothing whatsoever to do with what other people think of me. I grew up in the "Love yourself and others will love you!" BS. The logical inverse of that is, I mostly hate myself, so what's wrong with you people that you like me? (although, I do hate myself less now than I used to) But if they really have nothing to do with each other, then I can chalk it up to something I don't understand, but it's nice that people do like me.

I did not sleep well at all last night. Got to bed at a decent hour, but then I was awake from about 2-4 am. Stress sucks.

When we did our second 5K (off a month+ due to foot, therefore out of shape; also hung the fuck over badly), it was a local one that tackled some of those hills. I realized that if I wanted to improve my 5K speed I needed hill work. And a foot that wasn't mashed potatoes. And, you know, running without being hung over. You don't need a ton of distance when you're doing hills, and your legs feel nice and toned all week. Also want to incorporate more sprint work, been lacking in that lately.

Yeah, you need to get walking. Just do it and stick to it. Think of it as a relaxing stroll slash way to get vitamin D. Work on walking farther and faster later on. Hell, maybe try some jogging at some point.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    FW, I read your description of running to Boyfriend and we both agreed it was an incredibly accurate description of how we feel about running.

I need to get walking to. If only I could join in one of those "Get walking 5k a week in just 5 weeks!" kind of things and actually stick to it. I tried "couch to 5k" last summer and didn't go out once.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).