Page 94 of 180 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 94

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I'd move to Maine in a minute. Even with black fly season. However, I am not yet independantly wealthy, and there are no jobs.

On the other hand, I love the wide open spaces out here...
    Yeah I looked for fun and there are no jobs up there. After college I thought for a little while I'd find a job (any job really) and live with/near my grandma while I figured out what I wanted to do, but then I fell in love and didn't want to move away from Boyfriend. Living is cheap up there, but jobs are scarce, or maybe just scarce on the internet. As for acreage, yeah, you can really only get trees up there. Which is great, if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Went to Portland ME last August for a wedding, and loved the place. Had always wanted to visit Maine. Wedding was on Peaks Island in Casco Bay, unbelievably beautiful. Portland has a real nice vibe, and everything is walkind distance. Can't go a block without tripping over a great place to eat or cool little pub.

Best bet would be to live ~6 summer months in, say, Maine, and ~6 winter months in some Caribbean spot. Living off one's fabulous independent wealth, natch.
    I actually haven't been to Portland much, but my family vacationed on Peak's Island in the tiniest little cabin for a week maybe 13 years ago (my brother was a baby). It was great, we had a blast checking out the small beaches and biking around the island. Portland definitely has more of a cool urban vibe (I mean, urban for Maine), but definitely not for urban-suburban dwellers like Boyfriend. I appreciate the influence of nature on everything Maine has and could probably spend a lot of time wandering the local shops and sites. Maybe a personal (just me) vacation there will be warranted sometime.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    My baby brother lives in Portland. Um, that Portland. The one on the Right Coast. I had tossed around the idea (you know, when I become a fabulously wealthy author) of having a townhouse in Boston for a few weeks/a month here and there throughout the year and my ranch out here. However, an apartment in Portland wouldn't be a bad idea either . . . Casco Bay is gorgeous.
    Yes there is always a moment of confusion when people talk about Portland...Oregon. I am accustomed to the one on the East coast.

I have only been in one town house in Boston and it was the most beautiful town house on Earth, hands down. The place had been lived in by an elderly couple for a long time until they passed away and they painted the most amazing (what is the painting term for something painted on a wall?) of Biblical scenes everywhere. They were absolutely breath-taking. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to live there. The place was renovated and well-kept too. Some friends of my parents lived there when I saw it, and the people they sold it to painted over everything It seems like the kind of place to be preserved and wait for the right owners, but I guess they wanted a townhouse, not a work of art.

Mural?

Fresco?

Mural (that's what I was thinking of) is in the definition of fresco on Wikipedia, but I'm not sure what the difference is still. My one art history course (on Renaissance painters, fun times) was not enough for my memory.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I looked up bus fair to Portland one time. It said 3 days. What the hell? It's an 8-hour drive! Oh, right, forgot to specify the state. My bad.

I feel like fresco has something to do with the style/paint. But I could be imagining things.

Well, part of not needing to move to Maine is that there are lots of people up there that are environmentally focused already. There are lots of people working on preservation/reforesting/ that sort of thing. I feel like I could do more good out here. Oh. And there are rodeos and cowboys out here.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Cowboys

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    We have the Redstone Arsenal pretty dang close to us...is that in your line?
    I'll give the entire state of AL a look. It will give me something to do at work tomorrow
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Cowboys
    Uuuh huh

D- cottage cheese, black russian, chocolates But they're gone now! Again. For now.

B- tea, coffee/half and half, cheese and bacon omelette.

I really hope my new roomie likes peppers as much as she claims. Because I just planted 9 pepper plants in her garden and the one I picked up for her in mine.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I've never had much luck with growing peppers. I hear that they like to be sprayed w/ epsom salt but don't know if that's true either. I like growing zucchinni as it always produces plenty! Green beans as well. I usually have tomatoes to but they can be hit or miss. Cucumbers have never been a strong one for me either. Beets though are awesome. They grow well, and wait for you even after a frost or two. I also eat the greens. I planted onions for the first time this year and they are starting to come up