Page 85 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 85

Primal Fuel

^That was me picking a dried tomato seed off of my 2 key.

For some misguided reason, I started out as an engineering major, but I was taking a course on the epics so naturally we were diving into Homer. Loved that prof, coolest dude. Anyway, he goes on this tangent and mentions an obscure book, so I write down the name of the book in the margin. About a year or two later, I'm in a D.C. used bookstore when I see The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, and I literally let out a shriek, cuz dat's da book. I became slightly obsessed with it in my early 20s, and actually got to meet Prof. Jaynes a few years later when he was giving a lecture in NYC. That book plus... some "medicinal activities" engaged in more youthful times... led to me blathering quite a bit, which might explain why I was not the chick magnet at parties.

It is a really interesting read though, if you ever want something completely different. Never considered more than a fringe theory, but man, some of the ideas really stuck with me.

I changed my major to psychology, took abnormal psych and while it was interesting, that class was freaking hard. And...yes ma'am I would like to change majors, thank you.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    SALEM!!! Let's go!

But first, next week's trip to the magical land of Wisconsin.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I love Salem. One problem with moving is that I'm no longer within driving distance of all the cool stuff in New England.

The Psych 101 I took in highschool was awesome- fantastic teacher. In college, about half-way through the semester I asked the prof (politely, after class) to please not refer to God during the BIOLOGY CHAPTER. She then proceeded to inform me (in short) that if I didn't believe in anything (read, her God) then my life would go nowhere. Then she told me that I had to go back to the school councelors. The ones I had stopped seeing because they tried to commit me because I walked out on a meeting because the councelor was not listening to me and I needed to get to work. (Not totally his fault, he was new at it and I was having a very bad day- but I was not suicidal) That is part of the reason that I only got my AS not my BS.

I wish I could go back to school to just take the cool classes. Arthurian Lit. Abnormal Psych. (In other words, the non-requirement classes that make most people want to hit their heads against a wall)
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    you guys are busy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    What career are you thinking of pursuing, Saoirse?
    incidentally, engineering. i start my first semester of the program in the fall, but i have been taking a few courses to get up to speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Oh my, I feel like a huge alkie now in comparison. Maybe I've just got a very finely trained liver?

OK, now I need to know where everyone else delineates drunk, drunkity-drunk, and drunk-assed drunk...
    i'm a light-weight, easily drunk off of one beer. i'm also hyper paranoid about drinking and driving so i don't drink ever if it's not in my home. i'd say drunk is when you're giddy and stupid, drunkity-drunk is when you can't walk straight, and drunk-assed drunk is when you're puking or near-passing out. i've never gone past the drunkity-drunk stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Oh- guys- on the off chance that you were interested in more information on soil, I just posted my review of the class. It's lengthy, but only scratches the surface.
    as a matter of fact, i am. my soil sucks majorly, we have a lot of work ahead of us if we want to produce any food off of this little plot. i'll take a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    pretty advanced reading these days.

Seriously though, I was at a parent-teacher conference once along with an English teacher. She said "Oh *student's name* is one of my best readers. She recently tested on the 4th grade level!" The student was an 8th grader, and yes, the teacher was actually happy she read that well.
    scary. OTOH, kids here read at an earlier age. my kiddo was way behind in reading but is now at the 3rd grade level (he's finishing 2nd grade), and the big thing is "chapter books," which include books like goosebumps. my middle child is reading somewhat independently and she starts kindergarten next year. *g* i don't think either of them are unusual in our school district; reading is pushed hard at the younger ages.

kids read goosebumps in 7th grade? crazy, my favorite topic then was the Holocaust. When i had exhausted all of the books in our school library about concentration camps (in Europe as well as the US), someone mentioned to me that we had a public library and i could check out books there. it was like i won the lotto. then my mom signed the permission slip allowing me to check out "adult" books as well. i moved on to reading everything i could find by Thomas Hardy, starting with Jude. i remember in 9th grade i started to read the english translation of Mein Kampf, and i was so worried that my classmates would think i was a neo-nazi that i used a flowery little book jacket over it.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    as a matter of fact, i am. my soil sucks majorly, we have a lot of work ahead of us if we want to produce any food off of this little plot. i'll take a look.

scary. OTOH, kids here read at an earlier age. my kiddo was way behind in reading but is now at the 3rd grade level (he's finishing 2nd grade), and the big thing is "chapter books," which include books like goosebumps. my middle child is reading somewhat independently and she starts kindergarten next year. *g* i don't think either of them are unusual in our school district; reading is pushed hard at the younger ages.

i remember in 9th grade i started to read the english translation of Mein Kampf, and i was so worried that my classmates would think i was a neo-nazi that i used a flowery little book jacket over it.
    I don't remember when I got in the habit of it, but I always carry my books face down. Because I'm really not going to answer questions about the dragon or half-naked chick or wierd topic.

Yay on the kids reading early! Honestly, I don't understand how parents think their kids are going to learn this stuff unless they're at least somewhat involved. Once I got the hang of it, I read above my grade pretty much from the get-go. It just took time to get the basics. I think a lot of that is that we read as a family. We actually had a chair that Mom and all of the kids could squeeze into that we used for reading.

Have you gotten your soil tested, yet? I wonder if you have the same issues we do down here. I don't think you'd told me you were from the Black Hills. I think I'll have to pop up for a visit at some point. I'd be happy to talk dirt at the same time If you have the time and space, you can get manure from locals (in a raw state it's usually free with a thank you for taking it!) and compost it so that you know it's cooked well before you start working it in.

Hmph- your extension service is being coy with details- but this should get you started: http://denr.sd.gov/des/sw/documents/...Management.pdf

Oh, yeah, and I've always wanted to read Mein Kamph. But it's on my list of "potentially fascinating and will get me flagged as a potential terrorist" list.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I don't remember when I got in the habit of it, but I always carry my books face down. Because I'm really not going to answer questions about the dragon or half-naked chick or wierd topic.

Yay on the kids reading early! Honestly, I don't understand how parents think their kids are going to learn this stuff unless they're at least somewhat involved. Once I got the hang of it, I read above my grade pretty much from the get-go. It just took time to get the basics. I think a lot of that is that we read as a family. We actually had a chair that Mom and all of the kids could squeeze into that we used for reading.
    i was really relieved when my daughter started reading early, because my son read SO LATE, and i felt a lot of guilt for it. i have a history of excelling academically, and i want my kids to as well, but i'm NOT a pushy parent. sometimes i wonder if i should be.
    Have you gotten your soil tested, yet? I wonder if you have the same issues we do down here. I don't think you'd told me you were from the Black Hills. I think I'll have to pop up for a visit at some point. I'd be happy to talk dirt at the same time If you have the time and space, you can get manure from locals (in a raw state it's usually free with a thank you for taking it!) and compost it so that you know it's cooked well before you start working it in.
    i have a little soil test kit. does it matter where i take soil from? is the soil all over the yard probably pretty much the same? i know of a few places where i could get well-rotted manure, but the transportation is the tricky part. i don't have any good containers for it, and the only vehicle i could use is my little minivan. friends have trucks, but i hate asking favors. if i don't get some soil by the time hubby comes back, though, i'll deal with it then.

Hmph- your extension service is being coy with details- but this should get you started: http://denr.sd.gov/des/sw/documents/...Management.pdf
    oh, that answers my questions! yes, come to the hills sometime and we'll find some fun stuff to do. how far away are you from here?

Oh, yeah, and I've always wanted to read Mein Kamph. But it's on my list of "potentially fascinating and will get me flagged as a potential terrorist" list.
    fortunately i read it before the gov't watched every fucking thing we do. unfortunately, i don't really remember a word of it.

how'd you find out where i live? i'm sure i've mentioned it somewhere, but i don't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    how'd you find out where i live? i'm sure i've mentioned it somewhere, but i don't remember where.
    Uh, STALKER!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    bum bum BUUUMM!! It's okay, i'm pretty sure i can take her. i'll make her squeal just like i did to the panda.