Page 62 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 62

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I used to collect my neighbor's leaves each fall and dump them into my garden squares (last house, now I have pleanty of trees myself) and rototill in the spring. If you shread them they break down even faster. Mulching in your grass clippings is great too. It always makes me crazy how people fertilize their grass in the spring, it grows like crazy and then they throw away all that nutrition for their lawn! We always used it for mulch in the garden too. It breaks down pretty quickly in an often watered area.
    This literally makes me frothy, and not Santorum-frothy but more Old Yeller frothy. It literally pisses me off that people do this and then add all those harsh weed killers and NPK fertilizers and they wind up killing not just the microbes, but also the amazing mushroom mycelium. Quick effing with all the living stuff down there, let nature do her thing, instead of turning your little green voodoo patch into some sterile plot of worthlessness. Seriously? A frickin' DANDELION is worth spraying toxins on your lawn?

I mulch my grass and leaves, and compost religiously. Mrs. FW, less so, and she knows she's going to get the glare if she tosses those coffee grounds in the trash, she knows it and yet she does it anyway. Sort of like how I know she does not find it amusing when I put my stinky socks under her pillow but do it anyway.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    A tracvac would be awesome, but a lawn mower will get you atleast part of the way there Also, don't you need a tractor to pull the thing? I used to use a leaf shreader that is really a line trimmer inside a barrel, so it spins and shreads the leaves as they fall through it. I worked pretty well but was fussy about any twigs that got mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    This literally makes me frothy, and not Santorum-frothy but more Old Yeller frothy. It literally pisses me off that people do this and then add all those harsh weed killers and NPK fertilizers and they wind up killing not just the microbes, but also the amazing mushroom mycelium. Quick effing with all the living stuff down there, let nature do her thing, instead of turning your little green voodoo patch into some sterile plot of worthlessness. Seriously? A frickin' DANDELION is worth spraying toxins on your lawn?

I mulch my grass and leaves, and compost religiously. Mrs. FW, less so, and she knows she's going to get the glare if she tosses those coffee grounds in the trash, she knows it and yet she does it anyway. Sort of like how I know she does not find it amusing when I put my stinky socks under her pillow but do it anyway.
    I love my dandelions - I dig 'em up and feed them to the chickens and turkeys. They love them and I think about "dandelions into eggs" while I dig them. Plus the kids leave me alone when I do it as they hate pulling weeds!

There are times when poison may be needed, but I always ask people "why would you poison your environment". Weed and Feed is poisonous as is most of that commercial crap.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I didn't know that, Honeybuns, but it makes a whole lot of sense! I mean, that it is a major pollutant, not why they do it. You know what I mean.

One of my concerns is actually the rampant use of herbicides and pesticides. I don't want to pick up leaves that have been sitting on a poisoned lawn, but I'm also not sure how much the homeowner will really know. (I might be giving them too little credit, but I'm not sure I am) I don't want to pick up leaves and mulch them only to have them kill whatever they mulch. (I have already considered picking up leaves like that separately and mulching them elsewhere so I can test them first)

I hadn't thought about the power source. Hmph. Have to do some research. But I need to find the land first

I don't get people that don't compost. If you have a yard (ok, and some extra fencing apparently, if you have a dog- our dog never got into our compost) then it's not like it's hard! I also grew up in a house where there was trash, recycling, and garbage. The garbage went to the compost pile. But I've got 4 gardens and one of them is doing compost. (and the community garden, thank goodness, but that's not my baby) Two were rather grossed out by the idea. Plus, ugh, it's so ugly! Of course- this just means that I have another possible money-making niche
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Composting kitchen scraps and such does require you to keep them (usually on the counter) until you can take them out where they go. A new habit is a pain and then when you add the potential "ugliness" of it, most people don't bother. I get comments all the time about my container of chicken egg shells that I save. I feed them back to the chickens (crushed of course) or sprinkle them in the garden. Kitchen scraps go straight to the chickens so I don't keep them around to compost (unless, you count the chicken poop of course).

I bet you could get a serious worm farm going and then sell this to your "smarter" customers!

I could if I didn't neglect them to death You have to water EVERYTHING out here! Even your worms! *sigh* time to start again. But I have also considered worms for both vermicompost and local ones for kickstarting gardens to sell A little bit of everything should cover everything once I really get rolling.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Here is my take on composting, thanks to some not healthy soil. I am not doing it for the compost, I am growing earthworms. When we first bought this place and starting planting, no worms! I figured that if I filled my bottomless bins they would come and they did! I have two bins. When one is filled up I ignore it and start filling the other bin. When that is approaching full I empty the first bin with its hundreds of earthworms and start filling it again. My soil loves me, my plants love me and I have wormy guys!!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

It is amazing how if you feed them they will come, be fruitful and multiply (worms, specifically, but many other parts of life as well I suppose). My main chicken pen is in a raised bed area that was barren after construction a few years ago. Now, my chickens regularly peck at the soil and pull those guys up. It's a little eco-system with chicken poop, grass clippings and misc other scraps added in as well. I often consider scraping off that top layer to use in other parts of the yard, but so far, laziness has prevented such

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    It is amazing how if you feed them they will come, be fruitful and multiply (worms, specifically, but many other parts of life as well I suppose). My main chicken pen is in a raised bed area that was barren after construction a few years ago. Now, my chickens regularly peck at the soil and pull those guys up. It's a little eco-system with chicken poop, grass clippings and misc other scraps added in as well. I often consider scraping off that top layer to use in other parts of the yard, but so far, laziness has prevented such
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

One of my gardens is a raised bed totally above her ground. She didn't want to even bother with the dirt she had. Ok, no big deal. The box is going on top of the cloth that is under the gravel that was there first. Permiable to water, but not to any weeds that might be there. Ok. And a clear separation of good dirt versus unknown dirt. I suggested that she poke a few holes in it, though, to let any worms that wanted to migrate into her bed. Worms?! No! Eew! I am so going to smuggle a couple of worms into the raised bed at some point. Mostly because she cringed and I'm mean like that.

D- steak and sweet potatoes, red wine, semi-sweet chocolate chips
    B- tea/cream, coffee/cream/CO/D, squash and sausage soup

One of Mom's techniques, before we had the acres to just have a big ol' pile over yonder, was to take a smallish trashcan and bury it half or 3/4s into the ground. The bottom was cut off, and the lid was well secured to keep out critters. Once the can was full, or full enough, she'd pull the can out and cover the hole with dirt- digging the can back in elsewhere. It occurred to me that it could be a GREAT way to expand a garden, slow, but imagine the dirt! I tried to talk one of my other gardens into it- she's already talking about expanding- but having the trashcan there is eew, ugly! *le sigh*