Page 59 of 181 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 59

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    My goodness y'all have been busy in here!
    Yeah, invite (not really) us in and we make ourselves at home...although I feel like the person that invited the vampire in the house (speaking of the one whose name shall not be mentioned).

Speaking of infamous- here's a random tidbit for y'all. America's first pirate was named Dixie Bull. No, really.
    That's awesome, see the internet can be a place of learning, right? I'll have to investigate this pirate further, my mom's name is Dixie...is that maybe just a little too southern? Nah, perfectly normal.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    You will be blamed for that if it gets out of hand. However, I'll still give you a start on Dixie's career Dixie Bull. He was in Maine. Not southern at all I mean, aside from the fact that New England is "down east."

Mud Flinger- did you guys get the rain last night into this morning? I heard there was snow in Monument. Where I started a garden on Thursday. Good thing it's all cool-weather veggies and they're still seeds. The rain is great- and may have been caused by everyone watering their beds at the opening of the community garden yesterday- but man it made rolling out of bed difficult.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Gadsie = Prince Herbert in Python's Holy Grail?

E. Gadsie!

You will be blamed for that if it gets out of hand.

However, I'll still give you a start on Dixie's career Dixie Bull. He was in Maine. Not southern at all I mean, aside from the fact that New England is "down east."
    Buzzkill, not even going to look into now.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Gadsie = Prince Herbert in Python's Holy Grail?
    *Sigh* I'm slipping, why didn't I see that?

Hey, in the 1600s the folk in the South didn't tend to live long enough to get pissed with the legal system and make a name for themselves by taking the law into their own hands. Just sayin'

And, FW- yes. So yes.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Oh cont rare , in the 1600s the folks in the south lived long lives until the nasty white man brought all those diseases. I'll take "who schooled your ass" for 2000, Alex...

*bows down to the irrefutable logic presented*

I need to rant, but on the off chance that there is someone here who's more interested in numbers and facts than rants, I'll post that first.

Numbers:

I am starting the week at last week's official weight. Acceptable.
    B- tea/cream, coffee/cream/CO/D, "salami and cheese cup" from the cafe. I made some lunches, but no breakfast and I'm hungry.
    It's raining which doesn't help my mood (or getting to work on time) but we really need it, so I can't begrudge the plants.

Rant:

Our world is SO FUCKED UP! On so many levels! In so many ways! I just finished Eating Animals by, ah, Foer? I don't have it on me. It's clear through the whole book what his solution to the issue is, but he also does his best to point out that being a veggie is not the only solution- just the best one for him. I've avoided learning about factory farming in any detail because I know it's a fucked up system, but I just haven't the resources/setup to go 100% sustainable on my meat. That, and, he doesn't take into account that going veg means that you're STILL relying on factory farming. Thing is- animals are sexier/more saleable than factory wheat and soy. I mean- ffs- soy IS NOT FOOD! It is a condiment- AT BEST! It is eaten by buddhist monks to suppress their sexual urges. THAT'S NOT HEALTHY!!! (I understand their religious reasons for doing so- just saying it's not healthy from a physical standpoint)

In the definition chapter- a very entertaining read- he calls "stress" the euphamism that the industry uses in place of "suffering" or the inability to express their animalness in a factory format. When reading that I should NOT have immediately thought that my cubicle is remarkably like a veal cage. Although on further reading, it's more like the cages they use for breeding sows. The forced immobility causes all sorts of mental issues along with so much loss of bone mass and muscle mass that broken legs are normal and the birthing crates are almost a requirement because the poor girl can't control herself well enough NOT to crush the piglets. Not to mention the fact that they are taking an intellegent animal and squeezing as much product out of her as they can without any care for the suffering it causes- just how it affects the bottom line. Although I do have- slightly- more control over how much I give them than the sow has control over how often she's knocked up.

Then I took my dirt class on Saturday. Do you have any idea how fragile dirt is? Under average circumstances, it takes about 150 years to make 1" of topsoil. Colorado would undoubtedly be far slower than average. One inch. Do you know how easy that is to LOSE? She showed us a picture of natural soil- with clearly defined horizons- and what it looks like after construction. Well, Mud Flinger might like that stuff. I'm pretty sure it was pure clay at that point. I also asked the instructor briefly about the best way to reclaim old farmland. She pretty much indicated not to bother. It is VERY expensive and VERY time-consuming and VERY likely to fail. So the solution to NOT needing to do that? STOP FUCKING UP THE LAND!

Then, Sunday, our minister was telling us a story about an anti-death-penalty table he was helping to host. My church is liberal, so anti-death-penalty and pro-choice is pretty normal. All I could think was that we needed to be pro choice AND pro death penalty. THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE! They need to have the information/option to NOT breed and we need to be more willing to let them die. Call me cold. Fine. The population WILL be thinned one way or another. We are animals. We are in a closed system. We are past capacity. We thin ourselves or it is done for us. Read the chapter in the book on disease. If we don't stop this shit and start behaving as if we DO have brains, then the shit will hit the fan, and it will be ugly. Very, very ugly.

This world is so fucked.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I've always found the position of anti-death penalty but pro-choice amusing. Kill them before they are born but not after they have lived and murdered/whatever others.

Not that the opposite is any less funny - all life is sacred but fry the bastards!

ah, people, they make me smile.

That said, I agree there are too many people but too many of what people? Who do we start eliminating? Sadly it seems to be the intelligent folks who are choosing not to breed while illiterates/idiots/and such breed like rats.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Interesting/conflicting church.
    I'm not following the whole losing the soil, I can see creating soil from trees, rocks, etc., but once it IS, isn't it always?