Page 35 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 35

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My next container will be a little mason jar with "It's not yours so bugger off" on it.
    LOL, you could label everything with that!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Hey - just discovered your journal and blog today. Bummer your in the Springs - it's a little different down there (I'm in Littleton - ok, maybe a little different here too). Loved your comments on hair dying! Years ago I got voted to PTA president and had only been to like 2 meetings, but you know - a willing body. Anyway, I really wanted to show up the the first meeting of the year w/ purple hair streaks to freak 'em all out. Chickened out though.

Do you belong to the Urban Homesteader meet-up group (denver)? They have a seed swap tomorrow. I may go - they sound like some like minded individuals. I noticed you attended some classes at the botanical gardens and hoped you lived closer, but you obviously don't mind the drive or wouldn't have bothered. Anyway, I enjoy your writing and can't wait to get to April myself (I hate March - atleast the first half - then things usually get a bit better).

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mud Flinger! Different. Yeah. That's one way to put it. In the words of my great aunt (who lives in Highland Park) to her nephew (my Dad)- How did one of YOUR daughters end up THERE?! However, I've decided that being here instead of in the cooler town means that I have less competition for this start-up gardening thing (and this is where my paying job is located)

I don't belong to that meet-up, but I just spent the weekend with Heirloom Gardens planting garlic and transplanting sprouted seedlings. And petting her goats. They're so cute! She has two miniatures that just get into everything. I actually find the drive up there to be a bit soothing. Going from work (surrounded to people) to class (surrounded by people- although at least these are interesting) or home (surrounded by people- apartments suck) is kinda stressful. In my car- I feel like I have a nice bubble isolating me from people. Although the other day I did top a hill, look at the mountains, and wish fiercely that I could just keep driving into them and disappear for a while. I'm glad you like my writing! And maybe this can become a support thread for the next few weeks

Unofficial weight of 214 today. I'm blaming it on the lousy eating habits culminating in chicken cassarole. But it was free with company and I've been craving mac and cheese lately- so it meant that I only have to pay for it with gas and discomfort and not actual money I'm tired and worn out (lack of sleep and lack of quality introvert time- two different issues) so I was maybe not delightfully sweet. I'm a little torn on that one. On the one hand, being cranky is not a way to make friends. On the other hand, it really sucks when I'm all nice and stuff and then get comfortable enough to whip out an opinion like the only sports worth thinking about learning about are hockey and rugby. Aaron pointed out that they are the most violent. Yeah, well- if sports are the surrogate for war, shouldn't bodily harm be a possibility? (I managed to not say THAT at least) Then I added soccer- I like soccer. It, like, makes sense. Maybe if it's clear that I have an affinity for violence early on it'll be less of a surprise later? I dunno. I am tired of being nice, though. Being mild. There's no point.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Ya - an affinity for violence is like an affinity for fire - once your friends find out what a big piro you are they look at you a little different too! Sports - meh, I just am not that interested either! Playing is fun but watching and getting your panties in a bunch about it - I mean really? I'll take a walk in the woods over any of it any day - even with the cute guys!

Sorry about your food mishap - I just don't go there anymore - I would rather IF and talk to people or just drink some wine (makes the talking to people part easiler anyway). I also have to remember that is easy to say when you've got a couple bucks in your pocket. It sounds like you had a good time gardening anyway so that's what matters. I didn't get much done this weekened. I need more potting soil for a spinach and lettuce garden so plan to run for that today. I'm making a temporary raised bed with some old strawbales around it and plan to cover w/ plastic to keep it from freezing. I'm also putting old gallon milk jugs filled with water inside to help with the temp variations. I just need to remember to open it on days like today so I don't have an oven instead!

Here's a funny for y'all:

I stopped on my way up to Denver for lunch at this yummy BBQ place (Old West Mesquite BBQ in Castle Rock, Mud Flinger). I don't ask about the oil because it's good and I can get a saspirilla if I want one. I didn't this time. I picked up a pound of pulled pork and a serving of fries (yeah, yeah, the weight gain didn't surprise me either). The girl started to ask if it was for here or to go- looked at me- and said "To go, you're not going to eat all of that yourself." Well, it was to go. I ate half of it for lunch on the way up to Denver. The rest was eaten after I got home after the cassarole and (butterless, how sad) asparagus. (My friend that fed me is on Weight Watchers and doing well with it, so it's not like I'm going to say anything)

Actually, it's good that I ate pasta. I've been wondering why I'm even bothering with the Primal thing right now since I'm not losing weight (totally my own fault, and I'm aware of that- just can't do much about it right now) so if I'm going to be fat and cranky why can't I have my pizza and pasta? Well- let's just say- this reminded me most eloquently of why I'm avoiding wheat at the very least. And I used to think this was normal!

Fire . . . yes . . . (add in a little my precioussss) Fortunately, most people don't get to know me well enough to see THAT part. This family's pretty cool, though- they're not sports people- and her husband has promised to teach me how to shoot. Woo hoo! Before I moved I was actually starting to break down and learn about football because that's practically all they talk about in Baltimore. One of the many reasons I just couldn't stay
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

There are things I miss, though. Like my friend that I would go dancing with and I could rely on for a hug as needed. He was good enough to send one via text at my request, but it just isn't the same. Anybody know any men in the Springs- or, heck, even Denver since I'm up there all the time at the moment- that give good hugs? Platonic. I mean, I could use some sympathy, too, but I can deal without that if it's not available. But it has to be a good hug, otherwise there's no point in sharing my personal space.

And the cream from the Amish market that I'm pretty sure was raw and I'm quite sure was non-homoginized. It was awesome- sometimes you had to actually break through the top layer with a spoon to get to the liquid part.

Moving can be tough - it takes so long to re-establish the stuff that means the most. Real friends who get you and love you for your flaws and not just what you have or can do for them is the biggest IMO. Sounds like your meeting lots of people though - a match or two will be found soon I'm sure. Most of my friends think I'm a little nutty I think as I'm the only one around here who does (or atleast attempts) grow chickens, turkeys and looking for more animals as well as garden. I like knowing where my food comes from and have become quite picky buying grass fed and pastured meat locally.

Between the time requirements and not knowing where to look- or having the energy to look- it is tough. I have three people I'd move out here if I could. One, I met in college- we clung to each other as bits of sanity in that nutty major. One I met during training for this job- when HE decided he wanted to get to know ME (major plus for a shy introvert). The third I met through the second after much browbeating of the mutual friend to introduce us. I'm not in college, this campus of the employer doesn't really do the Happy Hour thing (90% are married with kids, not fresh out of college- though some are both), and I need to have friends in order to meet their friends. At the moment, I'm mostly concentrating on keeping my head down and trying to behave so I don't scare off potential friends that will then be persued when I have the energy to do so.

So you already do the homesteady-thing . . . *tucks knowledge away for future use* What kind of turkeys do you have? I'm very curious about them since reading about the trials of breeding stock in Animal Vegetable, Miracle.

Sounds like you have a sane plan for meeting people. I know it can be hard esp. when you don't fit the "norm". Working hard is the best thing you can do when lonely as it will help you build something around you as well as introduce you to people you may want to be friends with. Behaving can be tough when you have a wild streak hiding inside and trying to escape. I try to let mine out daily so that I don't loose complete control, but then again, control is just an illusion anyway. Have you looked on meet-up.com for groups that meet your interests? I found a great group for playdates w/ my son. I had many friends that had kids my teen's age, but needed to make new ones after having my son many years later. While I'm much older than the other moms, it still works enough to keep me sane. Friend groups change as you go through life depending on your availability and interests. I miss many of my old friends, but having a little dude made me much less available to do stuff with them.

I'm working on the homesteading thing - yes. I just bought 10 broadbreasted bronze chicks last Friday. I raised 6 last year and was able to kill them (with help, but now I know what to do) so I'll do it again this year. Their meat is amazing and they are the sweetest birds - much like pets - unlike the rooster I got by accident last year. He is the meanest critter! I can't wait to make a meal from him, but am hatching my first round of eggs now. They should hatch Monday. I wanted to get some chicks before offing him since I've put up with him for this long! He is nice with the hens atleast.

Sooo- I seem to be slowly collecting some regular folks on my blog. I was looking at 5ish visits on a normal day. Now it's more like 10ish. I noticed that I was getting visits mostly from the US, but some from Canada. Nice- international fame and all that. Today I have one visitor from New Zealand! It's gotta be someone here- I can't imagine how else they would have heard of me. Hi, New Zealander! *Waves* Now I can claim world-wide readership! (still much love for the local readers, since that's kind of the point of what I'm doing anyway, but I thought it was pretty cool)

I haven't done much with MeetUp- but it is on my possibility list for when I'm ready to socialize. I find, though, that I have an easier time socializing when I have a task then when the task is to socialize. I mean, if I'm digging in the dirt, then I don't have to worry about eye contact and body language like I would if we're just, like, standing there. That- and we have something to talk about past "Uh, how 'bout them Broncos?" (which is particularly rough for me because I really, really don't care)

I'm still working on integrating and getting comfortable with my wild side, so it's hard to find that balance that doesn't terrify the more moderate, but still announces that I'm not the mild little beige mouse I frequently appear to be.

Last year was the first time I ever cleaned birds- but they were wild. At least I know I can pluck them, now. Still not sure whether or not I can kill them. Although I imagine if they're disagreeable it makes it easier! Ha- Rooster- I get the last laugh! I should be moving into a house with a friend later this year. She said I could do anything I wanted with the yard. Wonder how she feels about coops . . .