Page 28 of 180 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 28

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sorry I've been MIA- and I forgot the recipe today. I'll get it up soon. I had a pretty good weekend- but I was a cranky pants on Monday, so I didn't want to post. Then I figured out why I was cranky and probably part of the eating thing. My cubemate took one look at me on Tuesday and told me I needed to go home. Being a mother, she knew what she was talking about. Can we just say the flu sucks? Although at least it was just the fever kind not the stomach issue kind. On the up side, this is the first time I can remember that I've been genuinely ill when I also genuinely didn't want to be at work (clients- gah- why do we get the fallout when they fall apart? Not fair.) Of course- then I got well enough to return in time to drive to work in a blizzard- but- well- these things happen.

The wierdest thing happened while I was sick. I wanted onions. I hate onions. But I really, really wanted some soup with onions in it. It turned out that the beef I made it with was too old- so down the garbage disposal it went (sad face) but just the craving for onions was wierd. Also- I was suffering from my bachelors larder. Daggone thing was all but empty and had nothing easy to make while I was knocked out with a 100 degree fever. I wanted veggies and soup and healthy stuff- and didn't have it. I'd picked up some fruit and OJ on the way home on Tuesday- but I wasn't functional enough to really think through what I needed- and the effort to actually cook with what little I had was rather beyond me.

It was one of the few times I really kinda wished I had a wife. Non-gender-specific here. But "wife" brings to mind the nurturing, cooking, "aaw you'll feel better soon" feeling I'm looking for more than "husband." Not that husbands don't do that too, but you know what I mean, right? Most of the time I like being single- it means that I don't have to burden anyone with my neurosies and I don't have to take anyone else's life goals into consideration when I'm planning my next step in life. But sometimes it's hard to be the breadwinner and the cook and the maid (who should be fired for incompetence) and the nurse on the rare occasion I'm sick. And my nurturing side is getting really tired of being suppressed. I don't have maternal instincts- it's never children I see in my daydreams- but I want to cook for people. I doesn't help that I'm reading Animal Vegetable Miracle and she's extolling the virtues of a family dinner. I didn't really understand what it meant that we had them every night growing up- but I miss that. A lot.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Gay Panda can only send virtual soup, but it is on the way.

I'm sorry that you've been sick!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    It's definitely handy to have a biped with opposable thumbs around when you're feeling sick (I almost said disposable...not quite the same thing). I grew up with family dinners, never really formal, but we were always all there unless my sister or I were at a friend's. Boyfriend had family dinners, but it really fell apart when he moved across the coast, along with other aspects of his family life, so I don't think he looks fondly on them anymore. For now, we eat together, and it's just the two of us anyway, so that's enough.

Sounds like you need a buddy to make you a primal-appropriate ramen-run (those were my favorites in college, when I was feeling under the weather).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Boo! Flu sucks!
    I think onions are anti-viral, maybe that's why you're craving. I'm sending virtual soup too!

My mom used to look around my condo when I was a singleton and tell me I needed a wife.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Thank you for the soup! Virtual or not, it's appreciated! I wonder if it was the anti-viral properties I was after- because then I added garlic and just couldn't wait. I wanted that more than the meat and cheese that were going in later. That's not normal. (although I do love garlic)

You know- there really is something wrong with America that we undervalue food so much that we'd rather pick up more shifts to cover our eating out habits than learn to cook at home. Of course, given the produce we're offered- maybe that's not so strange. I saw the produce-person in the grocery store the other day "setting out" tomatos. Actually- what I did was whip my head around when I heard thumping- like something falling. It was just the produce person dumping the tomatos out of the box onto the shelf where they would be arranged. *wince*

I'm glad I'm not the only woman out there that needs a wife It really is hard to keep up with everything if you don't have anyone to share the chores with. Cooking for two doesn't make that many more dishes, but it does make a pair of hands to help with the cleanup.

Son of Grok Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 400

Crust
    1+ C almond flour
    3 Tbsp butter/coconut oil
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Melt butter, add cinnnamon, add flour until crumbly consistancy. Press thinly into pan- springform recommended but not required.

Filling
    2C Berries
    2 8 oz packages cream cheese
    2 dollops sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs

Mix until smooth. Pour over crust. Cook at 400 for 5 minutes- reduce to 200 and cook for 60-90 minutes until firm. Cool and refrigerate to chill.

Notes: I made it in a regular ol' pie-plate. No issue with the cooking, but it didn't all fit. He makes a very big fuss about the dairy all being organic. I did my best- but I imagine it's not ruined if it's not. I also cranked my oven back up to about 350 after a while because I got tired of waiting. Other cheesecake recipes don't go as low as 200 and so don't take hours to bake. The first slice was a bit of a surprise- because it isn't "sweet" and the almond crust is a new thing for me- but the rest of the slices were really nummy.

Ok- so- I'm still sick. No fever- but this sneezing ain't allergies- and the snot is undoubtedly contageous. However, I'm at work. Why, you might ask? I wish I could say it's because I'm a vital part of the company and I just can't stand to not be at work being useful. But I can't. No- I'm at work infecting my less immunologically-robust coworkers because of an asinine sick-day policy.

When I started, the policy was that we got a black-mark on our record- an "occurance"- if we called out, and we got a stern talking-to once we racked up 6 occurances in a rolling 12-month period. Being late could also give partial occurances. However, if we were still sick, we could still call out and still get paid for it. There was the risk of getting fired if they thought we were excessive- but that took a lot.

Now- we get 6 paid sick days per calendar year- use-em or lose-em. I lost one or two last year because, well, I don't get sick that often. And I didn't get around to taking all the mental days I needed. However, because I'm starting this year with my 6, and I've already used 2.5 due to the fever last week, I didn't feel that I could stay home on Friday to deal with the phleghm (and avoid driving to work in a blizzard). I have 3.5 paid sick days to use for the last 10.5 months of the year. There is an excellent chance that I may hit December with all of them still intact. But I don't know that for a fact. Which means that I can't stay home to heal my germy self and not share this bug.

What really pisses me off about this, though, is that we have no incentive to NOT be sick, but at the same time, we'll get in trouble if we're TOO sick. There are companies that let you rack up unused sick days. Ok, so set a limit on what can be rolled over. We can only roll over 5 days of unused vacation. So, say 3 unused sick days. (I'm not even going to ask for the companies that let you rack up the fallout for good health over years or decades- that would make our HRs heads explode) If I was going into this year with 9 sick days, I'd feel I could take the time to actually get healthy. I'd also be more inclined to not take "sick" days if I thought I'd get credit for, you know, being healthy. Not to mention the fact that the reset happens in the middle of flu season. So I have to cut myself off for being sick at the middle/end of this flu season because I might need the days for the beginning of the next one. So I'm bringing germs into an enclosed environment where we are immobilized in our chairs and plied with regular donuts and pasta lunches. Brilliant.

I'm just so . . . frustrated. I'm not a machine. I'm NOT functional for 40 hours per week for 49 weeks of the year, always the same. (never mind the last two busy seasons that I got in trouble for being TOO functional. My bad.) I'm human. That means I have off days. Maybe because I'm physically off, maybe because I'm mentally off- whatever. I also have wicked functional days- but this isn't something that can be done in fits and starts. No no, it must be the same. Every day. All day. No matter what. I really need to get my credit cards back to zero, a little cash set aside, and figure out how to get the hell out of here.

So- would anybody pay for a week or two at a time (or maybe a couple of months) to be my roommate and do my gardening for me so we can be primal together? An, ah, working homestead retreat? I won't even call you my stand-in wife if you don't want me to

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Ugh that is a really terrible system. My job has vacation and sick days and everything all combined into one: paid-time off days. If you use it, great. If you don't, they keep accumulating every pay period until you max out at something absurd like 200 hrs (25 days...maybe it's more, maybe it's 240 so you can take a full month [thinking of maternity leave]). Then you can't get any more until you use some. Since I'm non-exempt (hourly as opposed to salaried), I can choose to use PTO for sick days, or just not get paid. But then...I don't get paid.

I can't pay you to be a roommate, but I would help cook and clean and be decent company If I win the lottery and can do absurd things with the money after the essentials (squaring myself and family away for life), I want to throw a Primal Beach party and invite various forum members, flight and hotel costs covered.

But yeah. The whole sick day system and health care are tied into one big WTFTHISISFUCKINGSTUPID ball that needs to be kicked. Hourly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Beach party . . . in Massachusets . . . There are beaches there? Kidding- I know there are- that's where we had to go when we were up in Maine and wanted to go to the beach. A primal beach party would be awesome!

If you're willing to clean, rent is negotiable. You would be decent company too. Hmm. We are the same planting zone as you. How do you feel about moving West? (Kidding- mostly)

It's not just the sick days/healthcare system. It's the whole damn civilization.

I just found out that my best friend lost her son. Ok, he had four legs, not two- but she delivered him and bottle fed him. He was her son. Poor girl has been dealing with a lot of bad news lately- and I just- don't know what to do. I suck at this supportive thing. For Rayden, I replied to her e-mail, and I'm sending her flowers (she loves cut flowers, but the other dog is a klutz so she doesn't have them very often), and I'll call her later- but, like, I don't know how to handle this. It's just one of those moments that make me wonder how human I actually am. I mean- I think I got this one right- but this is a much bigger response than for her aunt (who she didn't like) or her riding instructor (who was like a second father, but a real pain in her ass at the end). I also wince hard when animals (particularly horses) get hurt or die in movies- not so much when it's a human. Just- thinking out loud I guess.

I don't know what to post today, but I just wanted to pop in and say hi to y'all. I'm 206.5# but I'm blaming that at least in part on the fact that I'm eating a lot- and a lot of fruit- due to being sick. And I just- fail to give a shit today. I'm fat, it happens, moving on.

I just found out that the new healthcare our company provides basically screws the healthy. You know, something new and different. It's not co-pays until I hit my $2,000 limit for the year. No, no- I pay everything until I hit that limit. I almost never go to the doctor. Unless I have another major incident- I may as well not have insurance for all the good it's doing me. So- they just basically removed another reason for me to stay here. If I'm going to have catastrophic only insurance- then why am I bothering to get it through an employer? Hell- I'm paying almost as much for mine as my brother is for his- and he's a climber. And self-employed.

I want to live, I want to do, I want to be- and I'm getting really fucking tired of sitting around waiting for my phone to beep so I can answer yet another asanine question. I can't drop the paycheck until my credit card debt is zero- and this job would look pretty good on a mortgage application. But- it's time to get serious about other sources of income.

So- yeah- hi.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula