Page 178 of 181 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1801

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 178

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    When I went and visited a few weeks ago, there were several cows that he said were ready. Well, I guess they were all claimed, because the one I'm getting is still fattening up. Won't have it until around Thanksgiving. *pout* I was really looking forward to it, too.

I went down to the apple orchard to get more apples. They were out. And the farmers markets are closed. I hate it when I lose months at a time- it really puts a kink in the works. I did pick up some chicken bits (no turkey necks and backs this time, dangit) so I'll be making some more stock soon. Funny how fast you go through it when you cook at home

So- Whole 30 for November. An exception, of course, for Thanksgiving, but that's a given. I'm dropping dairy(except butter), grain, HFCS, and time-wasting on my computer. I just got a book on how to write a book in 30 days, so that's getting paired with cleaning up my diet. I am also going to make myself get out of bed when my grow light is on, which is between about 7 and 9:30. (It's not a gradual increase in light, since it's fluorescent, but it's still a nice, gentle wake-up.)

The plan is most of my meals at home and totally homemade. I will do my writing things every day. I will get up at a reasonable time. I will go to yoga at least once per week, and the gym in general at least twice. I will not watch tv before 8 pm, and I'm only allowed to read one chapter of the Twilight sporkings per day. (OMG- my story is nowhere near abusive, pedaphilic, and rapetastic enough to follow in 50 Shades of Twilight's footsteps. So much rewriting to do!)

There may be a little shuffling of priorities if I manage to get a seasonable job, but not much.

So how're y'all's lives going?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

namelesswonder is offline Moderator

Happy Halloween! Hulky and I just started watching Supernatural again. We're catching up with the latest season on Netflix.

Life is stress. I am getting by.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

For the briefest moment I thought you were talking about Dean when you said Hulky. Whoops

Mmmm, Dean . . .

*hugs* and woo saa for the stress. Guess I need to get caught up in your journal to hear the story.

I stopped at the grocery store for some cheap makeup for my Halloween costume and took a gander at the apples. The good apples were Romes, not Romas. Oops. Oh well, whatever. Got more of those, and cleaned out their stock of McIntoshes. Not organic, and not (probably) local, but at least I'll get my applesauce for the winter. Three different kinds, too. Although next year, not doing the Jonathans. They turned my spurtle pink. (I had my suspicions when the lady at the orchard said she bakes with those and Golden Delicious. The Delicious apples are not baking apples.)

Thus far, I have applesauce, tomato puree soup base, and a few single-serve, one-dish meals in the freezer. It's pretty empty, but it's getting better. I made a pumpkin/apple soup yesterday, but it's still in the fridge until I get the chicken cooked up and doled out to those bowls. I'm all about one-dish meals whenever possible. Bugger- I just remembered that I need to go to the store to get more bits and pieces for soups and stock. Next year, must grow onions. I might not like 'em, but they're necessary for cooking.

An idea to run past y'all: You've seen those cookie-in-a-jar and soup-in-a-jar gifts, right? As primal people, what would you think about getting a non-bean soup-in-a-jar? I'm thinking, like, dried squashes, onions, jerky, garlic, etc with instructions to reconstitute with your broth of choice? Or would requiring broth kind of remove the point? Oooh- beef stew in a jar. Just something that popped into my head as a possible gift and/or way to store my own food since I cook for one.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I store all kinds of stuff in mason jars. You need to pressure steam broth and soups though to be shelf stable. It's not like apples sauce or jelly. Google it. I checked since I have so much turkey broth. I keep mine dated and in the ridge in mason jars and use it up as fast as possible.

Wide-mouth, pint canning jars are turning into an obsession. Everything but the meals are saved in those for easy use. I do want to get into canning, but between not having cupboard space, and not currently having a canning setup, I think that's going to be put off for now.

Mom always did the hot water bath canning. That's not good enough for meat products? Dang it- I might have to get two canning setups, then. Eventually. After I manage to stuff my little freezer with all the meaty goodness that will fit

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Wide-mouth, pint canning jars are turning into an obsession. Everything but the meals are saved in those for easy use. I do want to get into canning, but between not having cupboard space, and not currently having a canning setup, I think that's going to be put off for now.

Mom always did the hot water bath canning. That's not good enough for meat products? Dang it- I might have to get two canning setups, then. Eventually. After I manage to stuff my little freezer with all the meaty goodness that will fit
    not... water bath canning can only be used for high acid and high sugar products (pickles and jellies etc). Meats and low acid veggies need to be done in a pressure cooker.... The acid and the sugar are preservatives. They create an environment that the bad bacteria can't live in. Meats and low acid veggies don't have that protection, so they require pressure canning.

Grumph. Maybe I should just go with pressure canning, then, since I don't really want to get into lots of sugar. Eh, well, that's in the future anyway

So, I've screwed up on the food every day but today in one way or another. However, they were minor screw ups, so I'm still 99% on track. Also, most of them were worth it I'm still putting off today's writing, and I've already determined that I'm not doing my character sketches today, like I should. *slaps wrist* I'll do them tomorrow.

I did go to yoga, today, and I'm mostly getting up with my light. Ok, usually just as it turns off, but it's still earlier than I have been. I did sleep through it on Saturday, but I got home at, like, 3 am from a party, so sleeping until 11 ain't bad. Man- rednecks are just my people. As much as I feel like I "should" go along with more mainstream groups, it's the rednecks that I'm comfortable with.

I didn't so much fall off the wagon today as measure the distance and swandive. At least I'm making the most of it? Gah.

Anybody got any suggestions for a friend with pre-preclampsia?

Wonder- Have you seen Ten Inch Hero? I haven't yet, but Jensen Ackels with a mohawk and a kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I didn't so much fall off the wagon today as measure the distance and swandive. At least I'm making the most of it? Gah.

Anybody got any suggestions for a friend with pre-preclampsia?

Wonder- Have you seen Ten Inch Hero? I haven't yet, but Jensen Ackels with a mohawk and a kilt.
    Do you have signs of leptin resistance? Just curious, because if you don't, Peat recommendations might be helpful for you to try. At the very least, get some collagen hydrosylate to add to any flavored beverage you drink. It should help fill you up and maybe help with the amino acid processing (assuming you are still taking those?).

Pre-eclampsia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Low dose aspirin? Selenium?

OMG NO but now I have to.

I watched Ten Inch Hero. It was awful and it's really only worth it for the eye candy. Priestly (Ackles' character) has so much potential, but then he ends up being a huge cliche and stereotype for alternative guys. If you want to watch it, I won't ruin it for you, but I was very disappointed. It was hard for me too because he looked a lot like my ex so I was holding him to a higher standard. It was kind of like how your average person might imagine a "punk rock" alternative guy might be.