Page 170 of 181 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1801

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 170

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    No, that's season 7. I was happy about that
    We just watched the end of season 8 as well. Soooo pissed.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Better lawn ornaments... Mini donkeys!!!

So freaking cute it hurts.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I made it to the end of season 8 because I was so annoyed at her being knocked up

Mini donkeys are darling!

This is mostly aimed at Mud Flinger, but I'll make it public because you never know who else might benefit from it

I was at the barn today, and it occurred to me that an even better start than an old, chill horse, would be to foster a horse for a local rescue. They usually have a few that it would be convenient to get off the property so they can bring in more. It's for all intents and purposes "your" horse in that you pay for feed, vet bills, etc, but with the caveat that if you decide it's not for you, you can just hand it back to the rescue without having to jump through additional hoops.

I asked the lady that runs Ruby Ranch what she thought of fostering with someone who isn't already a horse person. The short answer is "no," but the long answer is, as with most things, "it depends." The biggest problems she has had with that are that they come back spoiled absolutely rotten, which is even less cute in a horse than it is in a teenager, and there's a lot more oversight to make sure that they're actually taken care of correctly. She also requires that there be a companion animal which must be a horse unless the foster horse is willing to bond with a donkey. (Herd animals, so a friend reduces stress.)

So what I'm thinking is (and I have no idea how much experience you actually have, so this is just the basics)- hang out at your local rescue. Aside from mending fences and shoveling manure, you should get some time to start learning the differences between predators and prey. With your dogs, I bet you are familiar with putting your foot down when they try and walk all over you. Same thing with horses, but not necessarily the same communication techniques. This also gives them a chance to assess you. Maybe you aren't a "horse person," but if you prove yourself to be trainable, they might be willing to take the risk- particularly if your neighbors would be willing to look in on your fosters. Then next summer, ask if they have a horse that just needs a few months on pasture before it goes into training. Some need fattening up first. That way you can try the lawn ornament thing with a finite ending period to give you a chance to assess whether you really want one in the family or not.

Anyway- hope that's helpful. It was a bit of a tangent
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

According to one of today's links- more coffee= less suicide. Huh, guess I need to go back to coffee

I've been a mess lately. At least part of it is because of all the clouds and rain we've been having. Horizon-to-horizon grey should be the exception, not the rule. Our daily thunder storm should just roll through and be gone again, not hang out for hours. And pea-soup fog? Really? Where did that come from? My feed has been off, and I'm not consistent enough with my supps which feeds back into itself making my eating worse and my supps less reliable. I am moving more, but my sinuses are being a pain, so aside from being weak, I am also having more trouble breathing than I should. And it's August. Summer is essentially gone and, honestly, it feels like I missed almost as much of it as I did last summer. Which wouldn't be such a problem if winter weren't already considered a loss before it even begins.

Yes, i'm whining. It was a long week, plus PMS, so . . . yeah.

I do wish I could breathe, though. I need to find my neti pot.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    According to one of today's links- more coffee= less suicide. Huh, guess I need to go back to coffee
    One of two reasons I stay around on this green earth.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    One of two reasons I stay around on this green earth.
    Dare we ask the other?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I like you fostering idea. It makes lots of sense. As for hanging out at a horse rescue, well not enough time for that which leads to the reality that I peobably don't have time for horses. Too much work needs to be done here and I'm the main one doing it all. People always want a property like this one but they don't realize the work and money it takes. I'm sure the same is true with horses. I haven't even finished the hugelkultur yet and the kids start school next week. Summer is truly almost over!

Well, having the animals on your property will make it easier to fold them into your regular chores, but it is feeding, daily stall/run-in mucking, etc.

Hang on- don't you have kids to do the farm chores for you?

Do you still need help with putting the hugelkulture together, or are you still just stuck on where to get the turf from?

Went to yoga today- it sucked. Weighed myself- 270#, so re-added that damn 5#. I hate PMS, and I really need to get my shit together so that every time I see myself in the mirror I don't want to break the mirror. Or myself.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Dare we ask the other?
    I told K I wouldn't ever commit suicide

cori93437 is offline Senior Member

I have no idea what her little mouth keeps yapping... but I thought you could use a really squeezy hug.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.