Page 15 of 181 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 15

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Shop Now
    Ahh tiny apartments in Boston...I could tell you about them.

Boyfriend and I went apartment hunting in Boston in the summer of 2010. We viewed a number of places and they were all...tiny. And expensive! I don't know the square footage, but we found a place right next to the statehouse that was $1700 a month for an open-plan apartment on a top floor. It was beautiful and we were willing to spend the money at the time, but didn't have enough saved up for the 3-4 months work of rent required for the agency, deposits, and first/last month's rent. That apartment is still a dream for me, I'd love to work with such a wide open space as that apartment had, but I'm sure it will be well beyond my budget for some time. We viewed a lot of apartments around Beacon St, Newbury St, and in the Back Bay area in general. Let me tell you, wandering between brick buildings on crooked streets... It's fun, but to be going to and from the place everyday, I'm sure it would be a pain, despite the closeness of the T. It's also surprisingly quiet in between those closely packed buildings, but you end up sacrificing light, and parking would be a nightmare.

I could never live in Boston now because of the commute, though it was an option at the time due to the potential of working in Boston (I was interviewing at the Apple store on Boylston St, and then the Sony Store in Copley). It'd probably take me 90 min to get to work, with T & bus, instead of 15-20min depending on traffic and whether I'm riding the scooter. I'm happy to be living in the suburbs for now.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Also, thank you for the inspiration! Thinking about those apartments in Boston, they're a perfect setting for some flash fiction or a poem. My brain is too sleepy to manage it now/today, but maybe later.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I love Boston! Driving there sucks- apparently no one needs signs- but you're right about the fun of walking down the narrow streets. You see so much- and there's so much to see! Last time I was there I visited the Old North Church and it was so . . . Boston. And it's only a few hours by bus up to my parents

Speaking of- I was talking to my baby brother last night. Poor kid is finally at the point that he knows a job with things like health insurance really is necessary. But he's still working on how long he will need to work before he can buy his boat and become a sail bum. Neither of us is very positive about where the world is going in the future, and his preference is the ability to remove himself from it at will. And sailboats are awesome. But he is looking at concerns much like mine. He's got a line on a good job and it would get him to a more socially . . . alive place. On the other hand, if he goes back to school he could end up with a six-figure job and still be on the ocean, even if it is in a really, really big stinkpot instead of a blow-boat.

So- what is it? Follow your dreams or be able to pay for them? Why is it that we have to choose?

For those tracking what's up on the man-front- Grill Guy asked for my number! Cool! He has two kids. Not cool. They're in England with their mother and he hasn't actually seen them in years. Umm- ok. Kids are usually a dealbreaker for me. I don't want my own and I sure as hell don't want someone else's! (idle dream of foster kids aside- they don't have interfering parents) I told him that I don't do kids (which is when I found out they were in England) but that I'd think about it. Crap. Well, at least he was honest about it. The guy I was seeing before I moved said he had never been married and didn't have any kids- and he was great fun! Until I found out he had two kids- then met the mother of one of them- his wife.

The married guy was the inspiration for a story, however. About an angel. After all, the fact that he sauntered into my personal space and I was really ok with it was something I needed to know. Then he disapeared in a way that really left me not pining after him. This is important because not long before that I was seriously contemplating getting a cat. After all, I was doomed to be a crazy cat lady and my cat collection was the only thing I was missing. I'm still comfortable with the idea that I may remain single- but I also know now that I'm not completely immune to charm and that if the right man comes along, I would be willing to make room for him in my life. This is good to know.

At this point- I really need to hear from the search and rescue group. I don't care any more whether I get in or not, I just need to know whether or not it's worth my time to start other things with my time. If I get in, then it isn't, because the training is wicked intense and during overtime season at work. If I'm not, then I really need to find a local horse rescue or I heard that the local riding therapy program works with returned soldiers. I need to make myself needed somewhere so that I have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. The only reason I rolled out of bed this morning for work was because I'm too broke to call out and get my car registered, and I've only got two sick days left to use. Once upon a time it was because it was a good company- but they're getting damn cheap. Then it was because I liked my department and my coworkers, and I could see that my contribution made a difference. I didn't like this department the first time I was in it. Then it was because I was in a new place and I liked saying Hi to Pikes Peak every morning. The last couple of mornings, when it hasn't been too cloudy it's been too dark. I know that the good things in life are worth working for. But why do the crappy things have to be such hard work, too?

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I think both of those sound like fantastic outlets! I'm a big fan of volunteering to stay out of the blues.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

It would be very good to get me out of my own head. It can be fun in there, as long as I'm moving forward- but lately it's been more like a twisted "funhouse"- creepy mirrors included.

Official weigh-in: 204.5#

You'd think with as little actual food as I've been eating lately, that it'd be going the other way. Apparently, drinking your calories is a bad idea. Who'da thunk?

So- I haven't been sleeping well. Everything is off right now, except my brain. Which refuses to have it's plug pulled. I was a snarly mess this morning- then I started doing some research on urban homesteading. I have this business idea in my head and realizing that no one seems to have gone there, yet, was helpful. It's like a switch flipped in my head. Yeah, the customers are still morons, but I'll just answer the questions and not care. Because they don't pay me enough to care. (Don't get me wrong, I'm accurate and thorough, I just don't care.) In the meantime, between customers, I can work on something that actually matters.

I've always been fascinated by Native Americans. Probably helped by the fact that a very dear friend of mine growing up was 1/4 native and very much into that part of his heritage at that time. (Speaking of, I really need to call his mother. I miss her.) I was watching a movie- Older than America- last night about them. (Yes, I am fully aware that looks, culture, etc varied widely from nation to nation, but I am going to generalize here.) Did you know that they were sent to boarding schools to "cleanse" them of their culture as recently as 1975? After women were allowed to vote, after slavery was abolished, after all of the free-love of the 60's, these people were still being told they were unacceptable. The world amazes me. It really does.

However, I also realized something about them. I've always found them to be attractive (naturally, this varies from person to person, but overall . . .) and after the "Old Pictures" thread, I think I know what part of it is. Amazing facial structure. Every one of the Native Americans in that movie was fully developed. One of them, IMDB doesn't have a picture, but his name is Dan Harrison, was particularly impressive. Broad shoulders, a barrel chest, narrow hips, long legs, and a profile to die for. Ok, technically, his eyes might be a little on the smaller side- but that could be an illusion considering his epic cheekbones and jawline. So- this post probably makes me sound like a very shallow person, but I was just stunned by the similarities of fantastic genetics despite the wide differences in the details. Knowing what to look for, you could also see the devistation that a few generations of "civilized" food have also wreaked upon them.

My boyfriend is maybe 1/4 Native American. He has a narrow jaw, but still a very prominent chin, forehead, and cheek bones you could cut steak with. And he's got such gorgeously huge eyes (he won't get contacts to show them off, sadly). At a glance, you would not think he has Native American blood in him (he is fair skinned, eyed, haired, and has freckles), but once you know, I think it's quite obvious. I'm ~1/8 Cherokee but I don't think you can see it at all, despite looking a lot like my mom (it comes from her side).

"Cheekbones you could cut steak with." Hmm- beginning to see why you keep him around . . . Now that you mention your Native American blood, I'm not surprised, but you're right, I wouldn't have guessed.

It occurred to me yesterday that the funk might be because I'm replete on my neurotransmitters. On of the symptems of, I believe, seratonin overdose is that you become depressed again. I've been off my supps since Tuesday night, since I didn't get around to refilling my tubs- and Thursday morning- snap!- I was ok. Nothing had really changed externally. Ok, I did get a kick-start on a project, but that shouldn't have been enough to kick me out of that much of a funk, I don't think. I'll have to look further into this, this weekend. It would be really nice to be able to reduce or eliminate some or all of the supps. Although I do need to be better about getting in the basics. Particularly since my vegetable intake has been- ah- nil- and I'm still not eating my offal. Although I did have a dream the other night that I was eating Offal Soup. That, and Fowl Soup, are a couple of things I want to get good at- mostly to say I make them

As far as the homesteading consultant goes- Rhee has a good point- I need to rethink the wording. However- I'm still convinced that there IS a target audience. Maybe just not the ones clever enough to already be on MDA After all, as little as I know, I'm discovering that there are others that know less and could benefit from what I do know. So- it won't happen just yet, but watch out for some shameless whoring of a blog within the next couple of months . . . (I needed to come up with one anyway that I could point to when publishers ask if I already have an audience. Since apparently you only get published if you're published.)

Speaking of learning- I'm going to be spending time at the community garden on Saturday. Shoveling shit. Which I not only have a natural talent for, but I went to school to learn. Alright, he called it "humus compost" or something like that- but it sounds like half-cooked horse shit to me! I guess it's easier to find people to help you spread it if you come up with a prettier name . . .

I believe some of those books on supps for brain healing (to simplify it haha) recommend taking a few days to a week off every month or three, just to see how your brain is doing. I seem to do this accidentally when I run out. So far it's only helped me figure out that I can take less 5-HTP than I initially tried, and that I cannot do without L-Tyrosine yet. I plan on going without the Tyrosine again sometime, for about a week, but probably not until next month. I'm not sleeping well enough without the 5-HTP to try going without (again) yet. I'm in a similar boat of having to improve my intake of basics, but, as usual, one thing at a time. "Getting by" is okay sometimes.

I would follow your blog in a heartbeat if you posted a link! I'm going to be linking mine more often, mostly for exposure. I post somewhat sporadically, but I'm thinking of trying to get a bit more focused with it (maybe start a new one specifically about my brain-healing attempts, but then I'd probably just leave links here instead of writing out entries here and I feel like that's abandoning my MDA peeps too much).

Have fun spreading poo!

You're right. She suggests that you stop each one when you get to the end of the bottle. I kind of forgot about it when I was polishing off some of them in as little as 10 days. It just seemed silly to stop them that often. Hey, that means that I don't need to stop and pick up the supp that I forgot to pick up yesterday. Sweet!

You should link to yours more often. I admit- I haven't made it over there yet. In my defense, I was wondering why you were posting in your journal about information in your journal for a while. Yes- I need to think a little harder about these things sometimes But I will check it out! I promise! And it's good to know that I'll have one reader. After all, one needs an audience, right?