Page 132 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1801

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 132

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yesterday:
    L- coffee/half and half, (very small) cottage cheese and apple sauce
    D- burger, parsley potatoes over a bed of lambsquarters

I did dig around for more, and didn't find many. The ones I did find were attached to another plant. A couple of them are still growing, though, so I'll see what I can do about some fertilizer. And more water. Because if you fertilize without water, you can actually further dehydrate a plant. Nifty, huh?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how much this dry summer has effected them also. I need to check my soils too, since what you describe has been my exact experience. I don't care much now since I don't eat the taters anymore, but I'm sure the other growing things would appreciate it!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking about checking out one of the awesome farmer's markets I have heard about in the springs. Which one do you reccommend? Have the fires put a damper on any of that? Have you been to many this summer?

I go to this one: Colorado Farm & Art Market at the Margarita - Colorado Springs, CO | Local-Farmers-Markets.Com I haven't been this year. Hmm, I think I need to roll out of bed at a reasonable hour on Saturday and see what veggies I can scare up

I sent off a soil test, but I never got the results. I need to chase them down. I'm sure the heat and dry (and inconsistant/insufficient watering) wasn't doing me any favors.

B: tea/cream, coffee/half and half/whole milk/D, cottage cheese/banana
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

L- ham and cheddar on a croissant with chips and a coke. For which I am going to Primal Hell. After I revive from my food coma. Zzzzz.

I just had them re-send the garden results. Turns out the phospherous and potassium are high. However, the nitrogen is very high- potentially resulting in bushy plants with small fruit and poor root systems. Well, gee. I'm really not used to seeing nitrogen being HIGH. Then I remembered that the back yard was home to three dogs. Urea, of course, being a great nitrogen fertilizer. Well, once it cools off, we should have the potential for some nice greens

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    L- ham and cheddar on a croissant with chips and a coke. For which I am going to Primal Hell. After I revive from my food coma. Zzzzz.

I just had them re-send the garden results. Turns out the phospherous and potassium are high. However, the nitrogen is very high- potentially resulting in bushy plants with small fruit and poor root systems. Well, gee. I'm really not used to seeing nitrogen being HIGH. Then I remembered that the back yard was home to three dogs. Urea, of course, being a great nitrogen fertilizer. Well, once it cools off, we should have the potential for some nice greens
    Actually... GOOD news...
    Since decomposition of added organic matter can deplete Nitrogen, you are in good shape.
    A lot of people have to add nitrogen when adding organic matter to combat that problem.
    Compost... add it and the buggy things that eat it and move it into the soil will come!
    But, for this year... yep, bushy plants and small fruits.
    Fall green stuff should be AWESOME though!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    I think the volunteer tomato plants in my garden are actually potato plants because they're forming white bell- shaped blooms at the tops of the plants. they're growing literally in rotting kitchen scraps. this should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I think the volunteer tomato plants in my garden are actually potato plants because they're forming white bell- shaped blooms at the tops of the plants. they're growing literally in rotting kitchen scraps. this should be interesting.
    If the scrap peels had good eyes on them... yep.
    Potatoes!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    i know i tossed out a few whole potatoes because they were too full of eyes and squishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    i know i tossed out a few whole potatoes because they were too full of eyes and squishy.
    Definitely potatoes.

They really don't mind a little decaying organic matter in their area... if they are still growing taller consider adding compost and old rotty hay or straw mounded up around their stems... just always leaving 10-12 inches exposed to sun.
    They root along their stems like tomatoes will, and will grow more potatoes that way.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche