Page 131 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1801

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 131

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Um, parched and neglected?

I just set up a sprinkler on the one at the house, so maybe I'll be able to water it enough because I won't get bored holding the hose. *fingers crossed* It also needs some serious weeding. I'm, um, growing "greens" for addition to the compost pile? Yeah, that's what I'm doing . . .

I dug up a potato plant last night. The potatoes are, um, cute? I'm wondering now if I didn't go quite deep enough to get past the quarter-sized ones. I'm also thinking I need to not call myself a gardener just yet.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post

I dug up a potato plant last night. The potatoes are, um, cute? I'm wondering now if I didn't go quite deep enough to get past the quarter-sized ones. I'm also thinking I need to not call myself a gardener just yet.
    lol, that's about how i feel about my gardens.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    If the potato vines are still green and growing then you are just rustling up 'new potatoes'... which are immature.
    This was always a favorite treat back when I gardened/farmed... probably because we had not had any potatoes for a few months by then.

We used to go out after rain when it was good and wet and turn over a few entire bushes, take all the baby potatoes, then plant the bushes back. The bushes tolerate this incredibly well as long as they are wet, and don't get hot and dry during the process. Then they would go on to make more potatoes before the season was over... not as many as an undisturbed bush of course, but more.
    When the tops start to die back naturally at the end of the season is when the potato plant really puts it's big heave-ho of energy into fattening up the potatoes it's making.

If you harvest your potatoes after the season and have found that there just aren't many spuds... your soil needs a boost of P and K. A fertilizer with about half N to P and K is best, something like a 5-10-10 ratio. Too much Nitrogen and you get all tops and no spuds... the Phosphorus stimulates root growth, and the Potassium(K) gives overall vigor. Organic of course.
    And if they are still actively growing... foliar feeding!

If you planted your spuds IN the ground consider going up next year by using a system like straw bales... MUCH better crops in the looser compost and rotting bales as the summer progresses... also... once you harvest just finish composting the bales in place to add organic matter to your plot.
    Lots of people give away straw bales that they use for decoration in the fall... Free is good.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-23-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

*headdesk* *facepalm* Ermagerd!

Can we not make the shooting about guns, maybe? Yes, he had guns to do this. Yes, he purchased them legally. THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM HERE, PEOPLE!!!! I don't know WHAT his issue was, but he clearly, obviously, blatently had one. By putting more obstacles in the way you're just taking guns out of the hands of sane, law-abiding people. The insane and the non-law-abiding WILL STILL GET THEIR HANDS ON GUNS!!! And, as an aside, we know that he purchased the guns and all the other crap within the last couple of months BECAUSE IT WAS LEGAL. If it wasn't legal, there wouldn't be a paper trail, now would there?

As always, as usual, as I predicted, they are fussing the hell out of the symptem. I do feel for the victems, I do mourn the dead, I'm not totally heartless, but I'm also aware that shootings are not random events. They are an outward expression of an inner dis-ease. Normal, healthy, balanced, sane people do not shoot up movie theatres. Or schools. Or post offices. Or military bases. They just don't. But whatever mental imbalance caused him to act out this fantasy of his is way less polarizing/political/sexy than the gun issue. Because people don't kill people, ya know. Guns kill people.

I was talking to a friend who suggested that maybe people should be limited to one gun. So they could have one- their right to bear arms- but just one. Because one assault rifle is safer than an assault rifle, a shotgun, and two .40s. In that case, I'd have to choose between a pistol for self-defense and a hunting rifle. And the folks that took me shooting earlier this month? Do they have to divest their collection? IMO, they're pretty sane and balanced compared to most people. Guns just happen to be their hobby of choice. Guns. Sex. Violence. If we were fucking willing to talk about these in real terms, with real consequences, and a real expectation of learning there'd be a hell of a lot less mistakes made.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

The plants are mostly falling over at this point. I think I need to dig deeper before I cook them up tonight. See if I can find a few more. But you might have a point about the nutrients. I never did get my test results back. I need to get after that.

My concern about planting them above-ground is that I'm having a hard enough time keeping them watered in the ground. If they're above the ground, wouldn't they dry out even faster?

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I've never had luck growing potatoes either - makes me wonder how can they be so cheap! I'm growing onions this year for the first time and they seem to be rediculously small too, so same question - cheap? Zucchinni on the other hand grows like crazy and they want like a buck a pound or more at the store, so I refuse to buy it. Green beans too. Lettuce on the other hand is grown hydroponically in many places and so does not have dirt in it like mine in the garden does. Eating gritty salad may be good for me, but I really don't like it much

Re: Watering... well, yeah. Ya gotta water.
    But, once the bales are really soaked, and they should be really soaked in the beginning, they tend to retain water decently.
    You can lay a hose on them with a low spray to soak them a couple times a week.
    Watering is a fact of life when it's not raining. Sucks but true...

Look up some straw grown potatoes... or even cage grown... EPIC amounts of potatoes in small garden spaces.
    Like this...
    ...but we always just stacked old/starting to rot bales along each sides of a long row and filled in with more old bales and compost as the plants grew because we had BIG gardens.

Also... more organic matter = better water retention and growth.
    Growing in the straw and compost adds tons of organic matter to your soil and makes other things grow better there after the potatoes too.
    By moving the are where the potatoes were planted in the garden every year... the soil stayed well amended all over.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    wrt guns, didn't he have bombs booby-trapping his apartment? he could've easily used those if he didn't have access to guns, and the human damage would have been just as bad or worse. people who intend to kill will kill with what they have, and making guns illegal isn't necessarily going to prevent a psycho from killing people (or from getting guns for that matter). my husband and i were wondering how the situation would have been different if some of the audience were armed. maybe not so much because of the tactical gear he was wearing. but maybe being shot could've diverted his attention for long enough that more people could escape.

Re: the shooting.

No amount of gun control would have prevented what happened if it was that persons intention to make it happen.
    Yes his guns were purchased legally... those "assault rifles" are used in something like maybe 4% of homicide crimes... they barely register in the grand scheme of things. Also, they are almost never used by the legal registered purchaser. Different statistics by opposing camps state that between 80 and 93% of gun crime is perpetrated by persons who obtained the weapons illegally. That 80% is a number that was generated by an "anti-gun" group.

The tougher matter to reconcile is that IMO he chose to use guns because he WANTED to be caught.
    He could have killed and maimed far more people, and likely walked away from the crime scene completely if he had used one of the bombs he had built. Bombs are pretty easy these days... schematics for basic remote detonators can be found with almost no effort. The materials are also pretty simple to obtain if one has a clue where to look.
    He could have carried in a rather impressively sized bomb under loose clothing, set it under his seat, got up to use the bathroom... detonated... while still in the building so that he could have seen the destruction himself (a need for some psychopaths) and likely exited the building easily in the panic...
    If he had successfully exited the building... he could do it again, and again, until tracked down.

I feel bad for the families who lost loved ones, and the people who were injured both physically and emotionally... but that doesn't mean that banning the items he used will prevent all tragedies. And, honestly, the things that they are seeking to ban won't even really scratch the surface as far as gun crime is concerned.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have heard of potatoes in a barrel, and the ones in cages look a lot like that. I'll have to think about that for next year. Hmm, by then my strawbale target might be ready to be replaced, even . . .

Believe it or not, we actually have to be careful about having too much organic material in our soil. I think it has to do with the lack of decomposers- due to the overall lack of organic material However, if I spread the used compost out over a wider area each year it might work.

Saoirse- I was wondering the same thing, too. Honestly, this is making me MORE inclined to get a gun- and a conceal carry permit- rather than less. Maybe the shot wouldn't have taken him out, but you're right that it might have destracted him. And his apartment was rigged to the ears, apparently.

Cori- as usual, that's what I was saying, but better I think I'm just going to go with what I've suspected for years. I'm a big idea person. Details should be left to someone else