Page 13 of 181 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 13

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ottercat: You're right- it really is about getting over/managing yourself and moving on. Working on it. Slowly working on it.

Speaking of managing: Wonder- I can't wait for the solstice! Aside from the Yule celebration- which I'm looking forward to- I'm so ready for the sun to come back!

Panda: I will in all likelihood be picking your brain when I think I'm ready to start looking for publishers. I don't know anything about the process (yet) and I prefer to talk to people that have acutally done it. It's good to know, though, that at least I'm on the right track!

So, ladies, with your encouragement, I have started sorting through the sci-fi romance to split it into chapters and see what I'm missing. Didn't get too far, but I got started- which is the most important step.

I mentioned something about bodies in Panda's journal yesterday, which made me think of you scifi fans/writers. I can't add a link because work blocked me. Oops. So, it's more NSFW than I'd anticipated- but so hot. If you haven't heard of them- Google Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Thought I would jump in here for a minute. This whole mental illness not being medically proven is total BS. I come from a large family. Six of us are perfectly fine. The seventh, who was raised just as the rest of us were, went weirdo at 16. Making her own little world out of kitty litter, peanut butter and lettuce. Just one example of strangeness. It took a while but she was finally diagnosed with a chemical imbalance. When she takes her meds she is great, when she doesn't.........hoo, boy!! Fortunately she has finally realized how vital they are for her.

(jumping back out again......)
    Come back! *Reaches after honeybuns* You're not supposed to be jumping yet!

I'm sorry to hear about your sister- but I'm glad the meds work for her! Yeah, I don't get that idea that it's not "real." I mean, sure, it's hard to grasp for someone who's had no exposure to it- but there are a lot of real things I can't wrap my mind around. That doesn't mean I dismiss them. I just don't get them. Meds never really did me much good- but when I'm on my supps they do work. That means that there is a chemical imbalance. It might be partially malnourishment- but given how much my mind is like the rest of my family- I don't think it's because I ate too much spaghetti after I moved out.

I'm happy that I can say this to you folks and you'll get it. What got me out of bed this morning is that I'm going to pick up my turkey carcass this afternoon! And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get two rounds of broth out of it with minimal additions of more pieces. Woo hoo! It's totally a CAFO turkey, but it was also free. And I don't have to eat massive amounts of bird to have it. And the cop was very excited that in return for the carcass, I'd give them some of the stock. But he was also really impressed that I can make applesauce, so- yeah. (oh yeah, and I'm going to be popping over to Good Will at lunch to see if they have a pot large enough for me to put the bones in so I can take my sledge hammer to them. Doing it in ziploc baggies is not working- since the bone shards shred the baggies. And who doesn't like to cook with a sledge hammer? )

I seem to have a mostly female following (not sure what happened to Icarian- insufficient drooling over the core pics?) so I'm going to go ahead and talk girl-things. Like, that the grill-guy in our cafeteria was flirting with me which made me realize something. 1- boy am I easy- all he had to do was suggest that he could cook the veggies that I didn't have on Thanksgiving . . . (he's been working on me for a while, it just took me a while to notice) and 2- the universe might be kind enough to give me a man that wants my mind and one that wants my body- but, damnit, I am going to hold out for one that wants both. I considered trying to remove the mind from the body part- but I'm not sure that it's worth the bother. No matter how much there is a physical connection, the mental connection makes it so much better. That, and I have issues. When I need a snuggle, I need it to be with someone that knows I have issues and is ok with that. My brief look into the mind of the body guy made me realize that I am really not discussing them with him. (Body guy- "Why is an amazing woman like you still single?!" Me, mentally- "We clearly just met . . . ")

Now the mind guy- very sweet, we get along well. And he's the one that took me out for lamb kabobs. (For years I hated that my mother's life seemed to revolve around food- feeding a family of 6 does that- but now mine seems to be moving in that direction . . .) However, I need to somehow make it clear that even though his mother is dying for him to get married and my mother wants me to find my forever partner- I don't think we're what the other is looking for. I mean, I probably have 50# on him and I get the impression that I intimidate him. I like to feel girl-sized and I hate unintentionally intimidating people. Aah well.
    Last edited by drssgchic; 11-30-2011 at 09:41 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My mom is giving me her turkey carcass. I am excited for my christmas gift (crock pot) so I can make me some broth!

Brain is shutting down early today so I have no thoughts on the man things, but I love to hear about such things and your reflections
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Crock pots are awesome! You know, after I got over my fear of sleeping/leaving the house when it's on. I'd like a bigger one, but I'm happy that at least I have one.

I sympathize with the brain shutdown. At least the week is now half over? It's all downhill from here? I'm kind of tickled that I have man things to talk about. Aside from amazing people with my manly preference for trucks. (Yes, I'm a girl. Yes, I want a truck. And?) This is pretty new territory for me. Particularly the multiple guys making advances at the same time. Grill guy was asking all sorts of questions when I swung by to pick up a tea for lunch. To the point that even I got that he's interested- and I'm pretty dense. (makes me carry my weight well )

I stopped at Goodwill, but no pots. Lots and lots of pot lids, but no pots. On the other hand, there were a couple of very pretty wine glasses (I realized recently that if I'm going to have potential guests I should have more than one) and I finally got a cut-glass decanter with a lid for my ACV! To match the cut-glass dish that holds my BS. Yep, I'm giving in to my sparkly girly side- but only on the cheap.

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    I cooked my carcass in a really big pot in a 275 degree oven for 24 hours. I am a little afraid of the broth - I don't really like turkey-will I dislike the broth too? How turkeyish will it be? I didn't even taste it before I froze it.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Yay for man-things!
    While someone who's interested in your mind is awesome, he has to be interested in your body as well. I think it's important to feel sexy for your partner. My BFF is literally one of the most beautiful people in the world (picture if Penelope Cruz and Angelina Jolie had a baby) and she actually didn't date very much because guys were just attracted to her physically and didn't anticipate the intelligent sensitive talented person that came with it. I don't think she dated for like 10 years and finally met someone, dated cautiously for several years and got married to a great guy who loves everything about her. Anyway, enjoy the flirting, tho! that's also important ;-)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Man I need local primal buddies. It would be good practice for my social anxiety AND I'd have people to go to Goodwill with! It's more motivating when I have someone to go with that's not my sister. I used to go to the local Sally's (Salvation Army) practically every weekend in college. I got some banging dresses and costume materials there. But NOW. Oh the pots and pans I would buy! One of those blue things with speckles that my grandmother made lobster in. That sounds like something you could bake in for DAYS.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

NorCalGirlDiver: You know, I never thought about it tasting particularly "turkeyish." It may, though. That could probably be solved by liberal applications of garlic and pepper.

Official weigh-in: 202#. I'm not going to be upset. I am focused on my mental health. This isn't going to get to me. Much.

Well- I didn't get any writing done last night, but I'm (more than) stocked up on eggs, and after I finished picking the carcass I picked up yesterday, I have lots of bits and pieces for soup when I make it. Also, I have enough pieces that with the addition of maybe two wings I'll be able to get in a second round. I may have pissed off all of my neighbors by breaking turkey bones at 6 a.m.- but that's just payback for the folks that tromp up and down the stairs at midnight on work nights. Neener neener!

So, you know those things that you think everyone knows? Ran into another one. "I did the best I could to clean the carcass." Ok, cool, don't want to take meat if she was feeding it to her family- all I really wanted was the bones. I filled up a "sandwich" size ziploc tupperware- and I really didn't get it as clean as I could have if I'd had more clean tupperwares to use. I thought everyone knew how to do that. Ok, so not everyone would then make broth like Mom did, but how can you not get all the meat off the bones? Not to mention the stuffing that went down the disposal.

I've always felt a little bad for beautiful women that also have brains. Ok, and envy. Men are wired to be more visually/physically oriented- and the kind that would want Angelina Jolie on their arm are probably less than concerned if there's anything going on between the ears. I'm glad she found a man smart enough to value both! That's what I want. Which is why I called it quits on body guy. Yeah, I like that he makes me feel sexy- but I refuse to give my mind less than its due. And mind guy, well, I have a lot of male friends. No reason not to have one more.

Wonder- I wish you lived a little closer to my baby brother. Not primal- but he's been introduced to the idea. More to the point- he'd probably get a kick out of Goodwill/Salvation Army scrounging. Funny, though, that you should mention cooking lobster. Once Dad got his stove set up for boiling maple sap, he finally had a surface big enough to make a big lobster-cooker possible. Now he has one of them, too.

So, I managed to wake up early enough to smash turkey bones and add in the veggies so the stock should be finished tonight. I even had time to mess around with my sledgehammer a little. And I forgot my AM supps. Dang it. Oh well, it's still a good day. It's snowing I need to start finding other Sallys and Goodwills, etc. I still can't believe that there were no pots.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Jumping in again..........

I thought you would get a kick out of what my hubby calls thrift store shopping. "Oh, these jeans? I got them on the secondary market."

Once I introduced him to 'secondary market' shopping, his wardrobe has improved considerably. Now, if he would just stop wearing the worn out stuff that the thrift stores would discard. The ONLY way I have gotten him to give clothing that he never wears is to tell him I am donating some stuff to the homeless shelter or Union Gospel Mission.

Jumping back out again. See ya! (waving madly!)