Page 105 of 181 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1801

Thread: Going Wild (Drssgchic) page 105

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just got back from a "Pat yourselves on the back for our anniversary and all the growth our company has gone though!" meeting. When it came to the Q&A at the end, I was very tempted to ask if I could get some of the bullshit bagged up- I had gardens that would be more appreciative of it than the employees were. But I figured I probably shouldn't get fired if I can help it.

L- WF salad and sparkling water

I have stuff that I need to drop off at Good Will, and I'll try to send other stuff, but, I'm not going to do more than that right now. Too much bother.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

I just found out that I could, potentially, make a bit more as a waitress than I do in my current job. Are. You. Shitting. Me?! I swore up and down for a long time that I'd rather starve than be a waitress. Well, I have a friend that might be able to get me a job where she used to waitress. At the moment, I'm thinking I'd rather waitress than stay here. I figure I can start with it on weekends to see if I can stand it. If I can- hey- that can get my my "year off" that I've been wanting. As long as I'm making enough to cover the basics, it's enough. I can take some time to re-align my head and start figuring out what the next step is. If I'm any good at it, I might even make decent money

I didn't weigh myself this morning. I decided I wanted an omlette more. And- I don't care. I'm fat and a pound or two either way really isn't going to matter at this point. One perk of waitressing is that it is mostly moving slowly (ish) with the potential for a little heavy lifting (ish) to get me moving.

Oooh- I went up to Denver yesterday and saw the Flagship REI! Aaaaawesome sauce! Ikea- psh. Way cooler I picked up a fanny pack (waist-pack for day-hikes) and new VFFs. I also picked up a little first-aid kit because I realized I don't have one for hiking and, like, it might be a good idea? Duh. I'm going to slowly start to aquire gear because, damnit, I live in Colorado. How am I NOT hiking?! I just got an e-mail about search and rescue recruiting for the 2013 training class. I think I'm doing it this year. It's a LOT of work- but it's great people, great skills, and it'll be good for me to be useful.

I realized while I was filling out the job information for the place that can help me look that I have zero skills. Well, I can do customer service. And I can be trusted to handle cash. And write e-mails. Other than that, though, I got nada. Which is what's making the job hunt so hard. As one of my brothers pointed out- EPCSAR (the local search and rescue) might be a volunteer position, but there are people that pay for the owners of such skills . . .
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Lots of cool people in search and rescue groups and many of them are probably primalish or very primal friendly PLUS possible Hunky guys If not, move on and keep looking for you niche.

A friend of mine used to waitress to put herself through nursing school and then again to get out of nursing when she couldn't take the BS anymore. You can really do well with the lunch shift in business areas - many of those guys drink and if you ask "top shelf?" they use premium liquors and you get bigger tips. They typically think nothing of it as they are writing it off or expensing it anyway. Plus the constant movement will make you strong! Just watch out for the temptations and you will do well.

Did you guys get hit by that storm Wednesday night? It poured and hailed for >1hr here. Flooded the creek in our back yard and took most of the playground mulch with it and also washed much of the garden surface soil out into the yard. What a mess but thankfully no real damage.
    Last edited by Mud Flinger; 06-08-2012 at 10:03 AM.

There are some nice looking ones in this group . Mostly of the be-ringed variety, but I'm mostly just interested in looking anyway. They request a minimum of a two-year commitment, but that's fair since for the first year you're basically a pack mule while you're learning everything you weren't able to learn during the 80 hours of training. I didn't do it last year because for about 3 months in the spring, you're basically going to school. It's really intense. So I did garden stuff last spring. But I think I've got the garden thing somewhat under control, so I think I could do the SAR training this spring.

It's actually mostly a pizza place, so that removes 75% of the menu from possibilities, which helps. (pizza and beer- thanks but no thanks) My friend started it to get her through school. After she finished her master's in teaching and realized how much teachers make, she stuck with it. But she's moved on to being a realtor, now.

Where I am living sheltered in my apartment with no plants- all we got was rain. Where Showcase 2 and the community garden are- mad hail. I think the potatoes will be fine, but the totally de-leafed peppers and abused tomatoes have me concerned. I haven't seen the community garden beds yet, but I'm not too excited. We just got an e-mail that tomorrow will be a work day so we can put a bunch of stuff back together. I guess that's one perk for being slow to get stuff in. Less is up to be killed?

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I guess that's one perk for being slow to get stuff in. Less is up to be killed?
    that's one way of looking at it! i have some plants to put in the ground but they still seem so tiny.

speaking of *ahem* guys, an attractive, tattooed man came in my house to vacuum my drapes for free. it was a kirby demonstration. i usually don't let people in my house, but the kid who came before him had a nice story to tell me.

Mmm, tattoos I'm sure the only reason you let him in was to help you with your drapes . . .

The owner of Showcase 1 was complaining that her peppers and tomatoes weren't growing very fast. Well, sugar, you put warm-weather plants in the ground in APRIL, so, ah, yeah . . . (Lucky for her, her garden is close to her house so the roof sheltered it some from the hail.) Hmph- at least she probably still HAS peppers and tomatoes.

I like this work a day, three days off, work a day, two days off. Working five out of seven days every week really is overrated. I mean, my cortisol levels are at an all-time low! I didn't get everything I wanted done, but I did remember that I needed to update my address at the DMV, and I'm maybe 2/3 moved. Of course, now I have to move the awkward crap like my table and my futon bed. Oh well.

When I was at REI I saw something called the "kitchen sink." It looked like a collapsable basin, more or less. I just wanted one for my parents so that when they go places, they can take everything AND the kitchen sink. (The Big Blue Toybox- or the full-sized van we had for years- would regularly get stuffed to the gills for trips. We had to do some serious scaling down when we upgraded to the 'Burbie- the Suburban)

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Mmm, tattoos I'm sure the only reason you let him in was to help you with your drapes . . .
    actually i let him in because he was going to clean for free. i've never cleaned the drapes; they really needed to be done. i didn't see the dude before agreeing to let him in, but i couldn't help point out the funny in it. yay for almost moved!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    actually i let him in because he was going to clean for free. i've never cleaned the drapes; they really needed to be done. i didn't see the dude before agreeing to let him in, but i couldn't help point out the funny in it. yay for almost moved!!
    Guys, make note here- promise to clean for free and otherwise modest and retiring housewives will let you in sight unseen

I took my third load to the new place yesterday, decided that was enough- since I have until Friday to get it done, and realized I'd forgotten my bedside lamp and alarm clock. Crap. Oh well, got to check out the alarm on my new phone. Works fine. I'd also forgotten my teakettle and bathrobe. *le sigh*

Woohoo on the moving! I got the 3rd tomato of my plants yesterday, the wife says they're good, I don't like tomatoes unless they're cooked. 2 big cukes, 2 big bell peppers and several banana peppers, carrots are coming right along and I planted more baby spinach and romaine lettuce saturday. I sure do like this gardening stuff.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

You . . . you don't . . . How can you not like garden tomatoes?! Blaspehemer! That's horrible! (That's my jealousy speaking- the hailstorm did a number on the pepper and tomato plants under my care, so we'll see if we get any this year.) It might already be too hot for greens, so I'm just going to replant those patches with carrots or something to get us through until I can do greens again. Hmm, I wonder if I have any arugula seeds . . . The hail also did in all my baby turnips I was so looking forward to at the very least having turnip and beet greens for salads.