Thread: Exercise Guilt page

cranehigh is offline Senior Member

Exercise Guilt

Primal Fuel
    I know it's a holdover from my not so long ago days of chronic cardio, but I have serious exercise guilt.

Yesterday was a "rest day" for me, which means I only biked 4ish miles and danced in a show. (probably about 20 minutes of dancing). Today was supposed to be a lifting day for me, but every month I have One Bad Day for TOM where I feel awful, sleep a lot, and try to stay out of my body's way. That day is today. If I don't lift, today will be the same kind of day as yesterday.

After spending so long tied to an elliptical and treadmill, counting every single calorie I ate and burned, it's hard to get go of exercise guilt. If one of the ways in which Primal works is learning to listen to our bodies, and my body is saying "hey lady, I'm making you stiff and sore and crampy as all get-out so that you stop moving for a bit", why is it so hard to shut the guilt up and listen to my body instead?

Does this get easier?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    it's just you, tell yourself it's okay to rest (because it is, especially in your TOM status) and if the guilt creeps talk it away, or something.

You may also want to try being a man, we don't really have these issues.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Maybe rereading Sisson's chapter on exercise and why it's good to avoid chronic cardio will help? And perhaps he's done a blog post on chronic cardio as well?

I can only suggest. I'm dealing with exercise guilt, too. When I first went on PB, Sisson's advice to stop chronic cardio was fresh in my head and it was easier to cut down. Then I got mixed up with Weight Watchers and got carried away with wanting to use up all their activity points...now I'm back to square one with trying to cut down while not feeling guilty.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

cranehigh is offline Senior Member
    Thank you both for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Ha.

And Heidi, it definitely does seem to be something that comes in waves. My first several weeks being Primal I was really reveling in this foreign way of approaching exercise, and the freedom and time I gained with it. I'll try to find some reading to refresh my mind, and do some inner dialogue work.

RumbleRo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Unfortunately it doesnt. I get exercise guilt too if I dont do anything in the day.

Im no stranger to waking up at silly hours of the morning and going for a jog or hopping on my spin bike, 2am, 3am because of the guilt felt not exercising the day before.