Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first grass-fed ground beef! page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Just bought my first grass-fed ground beef!

Shop Now
    What should I do with it? I feel like making a really complicated recipe with too many ingredients will interfere with the yumminess of the grass-fed taste. I also have to use a pound in one go because it's in a vacuum-seal bag. Suggestions? =)

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Make up some burgers/patties?
    Stuffed cabbage rolls?

Don't need much more than a bit of S&P in the GB for excellent burgers, grilled or fried in bacon fat.

You could bake up some good meatballs. For a pound, try adding a beaten egg, some grated Parm, fresh Italian herbs, S&P, bake at 350F until browned. I've also put crumbled, crisped bacon into meatballs with excellent results.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Don't need much more than a bit of S&P in the GB for excellent burgers, grilled or fried in bacon fat.
    +1 May not need any fat.

Why do you need to cook it all at once? Why can't you put some in whatever food storage wrap/container you use?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    +1 May not need any fat.

Why do you need to cook it all at once? Why can't you put some in whatever food storage wrap/container you use?
    I buy my grass-fed beef in bulk (freezer beef), so when I defrost GB I too like to cook whatever's thawed as soon as it is thawed, all at once. You can leave it in the fridge in wrap or a container, but it's going to start oxidizing (browning) and losing juices (blood pools out). Best eaten at its freshest, IMO.

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    I bought some organic grass fed hamburger last week that tasted awful. I threw it away. Won't be doing that again anytime soon.

I've purchased grass-fed beef from probably half a dozen local farms, and all of it was superior to store-bought corn-fed beef.

Did you buy direct from a farmer?

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I buy my grass-fed beef in bulk (freezer beef), so when I defrost GB I too like to cook whatever's thawed as soon as it is thawed, all at once. You can leave it in the fridge in wrap or a container, but it's going to start oxidizing (browning) and losing juices (blood pools out). Best eaten at its freshest, IMO.
    This. I have a pound to defrost, so I would prefer to cook it all at once. I think I will do the fried burger(s) with salt and pepper and see how it goes. Totally can't wait

By the way, when you grill, do you grill grill outside or George Foreman it? Because I am thinking about getting a Foreman, but I have so many cooking things at home that I don't want to get any more if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    This. I have a pound to defrost, so I would prefer to cook it all at once. I think I will do the fried burger(s) with salt and pepper and see how it goes. Totally can't wait

By the way, when you grill, do you grill grill outside or George Foreman it? Because I am thinking about getting a Foreman, but I have so many cooking things at home that I don't want to get any more if necessary.
    I'm pretty minimalist with appliances, so grill outdoors, charcoal. Some folks seem to love their Foremans, though. To me, a $12 cast iron pan is all I need for cooking burgers indoors.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I bought some organic grass fed hamburger last week that tasted awful. I threw it away. Won't be doing that again anytime soon.
    Maybe it wasn't really grass-fed beef. Did the label actually say "grass-fed" or was it just 'organic' or some other meaningless title? Grass fed tastes sweeter and oilier, more like an animal than a product.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast