Thread: Staying in ketosis at 150 grams of carbs = possible? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I thought I had to say goodbye to ketosis after I began to eat lots of carbs, but my HORRIBLE body/breath odor is making me wonder!

I really should get some ketostix (does WF have them?), but tell me if my reasoning is right: I was on VLC for 4 months (-30 grams a day). That should have put me in ketosis and forced my body to burn fat for fuel. Then I decided to up my carb intake to about 150 grams a day (for weight lifting reasons) while still consuming tons of fat. As my body was adapted to burning fat, it still continued to rely on it for fuel. Isn't ketosis simply "burning fat for fuel"?

So I am thinking that as long as I keep my fat intake very high, the amount of carbs I consume will not kick me out of ketosis. It will all be used to replenish glycogen stores, and whatever is left over will be consumed by my supposed high metabolism.

What do you think?

Oh, I'm also super hot after I eat my meal (1 a day). I get so hot that I sleep with the window open and it's winter.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Hm - I haven&#39;t tried measuring my state of ketosis while eating THAT many carbs. I imagine its definitely possible; given your body has adjusted to burning fat and it seems like you&#39;re burning the carbs fed to your system pretty regularly. Of course, I&#39;m just guessing 100%.

I guess a concern of yours/mine could be: if you up my carb intake and pop out of ketosis, will your muscles be at risk to be used for energy? (Since the increased insulin and drop in GH calls for less fat used as energy). Not to scare you or anything, but, just a concern I thought of since I&#39;m also upping my carb intake.

I know Walmart -should- carry ketostix (might have to ask the pharmacy people though). I&#39;m gonna pick myself up some tomorrow, actually... Was previously doing ~10-15g /day, but probably upping mine to 50-100g depending on what i plan on doing that day.

Your second paragraph makes perfect sense. I can tell you is that I haven&#39;t lost any muscle (I have actually gained) nor gained any body fat despite eating so much. So this is another reason to believe that my body relies primarily on fats regardless of carb intake.

go_ginger_go Guest

Getting some Ketostix will answer your question right away. They have them at Wal-Mart and also drugstores in the diabetes section. I had to try 3 Walgreens before I found a location that wasn&#39;t sold out of them -- I guess everyone is either diabetic or going Primal.

If you still stink then I would be inclined to say you probably are still in ketosis. When I fall out of ketosis (as I did with a thud over the holidays), all my various k body funks cease immediately.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Haha! Body funks..

Since you are not eating that many carbs (<150g) and you are weight lifting 3 times a week I would say that all the glucose that is made from carbs is shuttled directly into your muscles to be stored.

None of the glucose is available for your brain which has adapted too using ketone bodies for fuel. So there is no reason for your body to come out of ketosis.

If you don&#39;t work out for a week I would guess that you muscles would become full after a couple of days and then you would come out of ketosis shortly after.

Insulin stops the production of ketones. If you split your meals up 3-4 a day I would suspect the spikes of insulin throughout the day would allow the ketones in your blood stream to "dry up" and your brain would be forced to use glucose again. Kicking you out of ketosis as a result.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

This might sound crazy but I used to work in a medical facility where I had access to ketostix. No, no that&#39;s not the crazy part. The crazy part is I used to eat tons of carbs -grains, pasta, bread, cereal out the wazoo not because of CW but b/c I was totally addicted.

I would occasionally test my urine and it usually demonstrated small ketones in my urine. I always wondered about it...

Kaizen Guest

I&#39;m surprised everyone so is crazy about Ketostix. Ketostix aren&#39;t very accurate, they&#39;ll give weird readings at times. Sometimes you can be in full on Keto "mode" and it won&#39;t show on the stix, and vice versa. Honestly why does it matter if you know "you&#39;re in keto". If you feel that you are, and you&#39;re doing great eating 150g of carbs, then keep going. Don&#39;t over analyze it. I&#39;ve heard of some people staying in Keto even with 100-150g of carbs in their system, so it depends on the person.

You&#39;re talking about me? Ketosis doesn&#39;t matter because I have hardly any weight to lose at all. I&#39;m not crazy about ketostix either - I have never even used them. Ketosis is definitely a plus in my book, though. I just wanted to discuss whether it&#39;s possible or not because there are obvious signs of it. I just want to figure out what my body is doing.