Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deflated and lacking in faith! page

PrimalJasper is offline Junior Member

Deflated and lacking in faith!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Guys,

Sorry this is a negative issue but I really need some help - or a slap!

I started the Primal lifestyle back in February this year after a family death and it really helped. I was super focused and really motivated. It seeped into every aspect of my being, I was walking everywhere, I stopped eating junk, only drank water and occasionally pressed fruit juice, and I was running and lifting. I was doing it, and loving it!
    A couple of months down the line there was another family death and I kind of waivered. I had a drink or two and binged and bits of my old lifestyle crept back in. To top it off I broke my foot on my motorcycle dodging a dog! I wrote that month off and told myself I will start from scratch again at the beginning of the next, which I did.

I stopped the caffeine, alcohol, grain (I still eat rice), candy and other assorted junk and I started walking again, first with a crutch and then without. On a week by week reduction such as week one - no caffeine, week two - no alcohol etc. I returned to Primal. Two months have now passed and my body should be pretty clean on the inside and my foot feels strong enough to start running through the woods again and I have even bought myself some Vibrams!

The problem is, I have no motivation at all. I know I feel better in myself but I just canít push myself any harder and I donít know why. Its like I donít have a feel for it anymore and I am waiting for that motivation to miraculously return. Iím not grieving; Iím not full of rubbish chemicals. I just feel really deflated.
    I know Primal is right, I know I have felt it before. I just want to feel it again.
    Has anyone had any similar feelings or lack of faith/motivation and over come it? I could really, really use some of your ideas if you have!

Many thanks in adavance,

Japser

p.s. I am not hunting for sympathy!
    p.p.s. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Grizz is offline Banned
    YES ! Here is my advice:

Read the new book by Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis, "Wheat Belly."
    Low Carb Age Ľ Wheat Belly Book Review Ľ Low Carb Age

I guarantee your cravings for junk will end once & for all.

Grizz

Thank you for such a quick reply. I will check it out. I dont wnat to nit pick but the issue isnt so much the cravings, I feel i am pretty much on top of them with the exception of wanting a bag of goodies when watching a movie!

The issue, to be more to the point, is with how I feel in general about it. My heart's just not in it anymore. I am successfully beating my craves but it feels like I am just doing it and not being it. I was wondering if anyone else has had this "hour of darkness" and has found something or thought something that made them feel "Yeah, get some!" about being primal. I am not going to give up, I want to enjoy it again.

Thanks again for the recommended reading,

Jasper.

CatPrimal is offline Junior Member

Fake it to You Make it

Hi Jasper - sorry to hear about your losses and foot. Rough time!

I would give yourself the gift of committing to a period of time - just one day if you need to - of being totally primal. You'll feel great, and proud of yourself - perhaps enough to continue the next day. Sometimes you just have to fake it 'til you make it, when you know it is best for you. Good luck!

Amaradex is offline Junior Member
    Hi Jasper,

I'd have two suggestions - either could work depending on how you are at the moment.

First, find an active pursuit that doesn't feel like a challenge but instead feels relaxing. For me, this is walking my dogs with my fiance. Because of how much I enjoy being with him and talking, as well as enjoying the company of our dogs, I don't really notice how far we walk. We've gone on 6km walks that have felt like 2km. The exercise as well as the enjoyment makes me want to do it more and more and I create a habit out of it, which spurs me to make other good habits.

Another option if that doesn't work is to give yourself a goal that will require whatever you currently feel you are lacking. Maybe it's a long back-country hike or running a 10km race or maybe it's eating completely clean or not watching TV for a month. Then, make that goal less about you and more about someone else. Tell all your friends and family and encourage them to donate $1 to charity for every km you hike or day you go without TV. Maybe find someone in your city who has a similar goal and work with them. When you feel responsible to someone else, you're more likely to keep up with following your goal. This effect seems to double when you are helping someone else at the same time.

One thing to consider is if you are getting enough natural light. With your injury, you've likely been cooped up inside and that can lead to lassitude, depression and a lack of motivation in a lot of people. Do your best to get outside when it's sunny out and consider getting a "day light" to help you get the natural light you need. I know I've been down the past week because it's been grey and rainy, but getting outside tomorrow when it's supposed to be sunny will help me keep moving!

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    You may be experiencing a phase of depression due to the loss of your family members. It can take all the joy and motivation from your life until it is treated. Depression is very sneaky--I know the times it affected me, I was the last to realize it. I do not believe in taking pills, but I have gone to counseling to help and it worked for me.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You may be experiencing a phase of depression due to the loss of your family members. It can take all the joy and motivation from your life until it is treated. Depression is very sneaky--I know the times it affected me, I was the last to realize it. I do not believe in taking pills, but I have gone to counseling to help and it worked for me.
    Sounds like depression to me too. If you feel like you're in a hole and can't get out, then pills can be useful. They can be the rope that lets you climb out. If you're not feeling that down, then I don't think they're all that useful. You can do better with CBT/counseling.

If you feel like it's too much of a PITA to find a psychologist, have someone you trust setup an appointment for you. All you need to do it show up to it.

There is hope, even though it might not seem like it now.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    Working through normal grief takes time and someone to talk to is a great idea. Your down feelings will wax and wane and a counselor can help you come up with a variety strategies to use if depression rears it's motivation-sucking head. Hang in there. Those of us who have battled depression know this is no joke. Getting outdoors and moving help me.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I went through a similar process when I lost a couple of family members. It negatively affected my sleep.

I would do every thing I could to ensure that you went to sleep early enough to be able to wake up when you want/need to without an alarm.

For me I was not going into REM sleep and the lack of motivation was only the beginning, but once the sleep issue was resolved it all started to get better.

Also, if you don't feel like going for a walk outside, maybe a laze in a hammock in the sun with a funny book, get some sun, get some grins, destress, you might even nap!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Wow.

There's a lot to pick from and I should imagine I will take on as many as I can if not all - it cant hurt!

I am being totally honest and sincere when I say thank you all very much, I really do appreciate your suggestions and kind words.

I suppose in view of what each of you have said maybe I am focusing on my diet and intake and hoping for a change through that rather than my mental state.

Again, Huge thanks to you all.

Kindest regards,

Jasper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast