Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living off animal foods, avoiding vegetables. need sugestions, answers, etc page

jackdesimone is offline Junior Member

Living On Raw Animal Products...

Primal Fuel
    So, right now I"m living off of raw animal products, no vegetable of any kind.

(not because I haven't tried, but because I got seriously sick in a very short time, eating only spinach, for a day, no fat/protein. so for vegetables it was either the oxalic acid, or the pesticides, that did it in for me; but my point being, I don't like vegetables)

what does everyone think? am i in for nutritional deficiencies?
    Last edited by jackdesimone; 09-15-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you're in for nutritional deficiencies. If veggies make you physically sick there's gotta be something else going on... do you eat organic? I have a lot of raw veggie/fruit allergies, but can eat most cooked with no issues...

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    IF you eat pastured/free range/grass-fed animal products. You can do ok. Otherwise, not.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    you're nuts

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Jesus Flowerpicking Christ.

Why would you eat nothing but spinach for a whole day? Where did you get the impression that that would be a healthy and maintainable thing to do?

How about this: eat a mixture of animal and vegetable products like the book says. Steam or otherwise cook your vegetables and put a little butter on them if they're so damn horrible to you.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Jesus Flowerpicking Christ.

Steam or otherwise cook your vegetables and put a little butter on them if they're so damn horrible to you.
    lmao indeed GC, indeed

Although, I can see the OP's logic. I got totally hammered when I was a kid and was seriously sick... Now if only I'd never drunk booze again!
    I'd have a lot more money, have had a lot less headaches but a lot less fun ;-)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Some people just aren't ready for the PB.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

well, NOW, if I Did, ever eat vegetables again, It would Be only ORGANIC, CABBAGE... (cause I guess, the dark greens, carry the most oxalic acid; and I won't touch fruit, carrots, or potatoes) ..but probably raw sauerkraut, with probiotics...

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdesimone View Post
    So, right now I"m living off of raw animal products, no vegetable of any kind. ...

what does everyone think? am i in for nutritional deficiencies?
    I don't know. There are cultures that eat almost nothing but meat, and they seem to have done fine over extended periods of time—centuries. That's considerably longer than anyone has done on the current 20th/21th century Supermarket Diet—Kellogs, skimmed milk, processed meat, snickers bars, snack-cakes, Coca Cola, etc.

However, you have to remember that those people had a lot of food knowledge. They killed and butchered the game themselves; they knew which parts of the carcass to eat.

Their knowledge of the use of different organs and tissues of the animals for providing a defense against certain of the affections of the body which we speak of as degenerative diseases was surprising. When I asked an old Indian, through an interpreter, why the Indians did not get scurvy he replied promptly that that was a white man's disease. I asked whether it was possible for the Indians to get scurvy. He replied that it was, but said that the Indians know how to prevent it and the white man does not. When asked why he did not tell the white man how, his reply was that the white man knew too much to ask the Indian anything. I then asked him if he would tell me. He said he would if the chief said he might. He went to see the chief and returned in about an hour, saying that the chief said he could tell me because I was a friend of the Indians and had come to tell the Indians not to eat the food in the white man's store. He took me by the hand and led me to a log where we both sat down. He then described how when the Indian kills a moose he opens it up and at the back of the moose just above the kidney there are what he described as two small balls in the fat. These he said the Indian would take and cut up into as many pieces as there were little and big Indians in the family and each one would eat his piece. They would eat also the walls of the second stomach. By eating these parts of the animal the Indians would keep free from scurvy, which is due to the lack of vitamin C. The Indians were getting vitamin C from the adrenal glands and organs. Modern science has very recently discovered that the adrenal glands are the richest sources of vitamin C in all animal or plant tissues.
    Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: Chapter 6

Have you got a good source of adrenals? Maybe you don't necessarily need them, but you see the point?

You probably need less vitamin C on an all-meat (or meat-and-dairy-products) diet. It seems vitamin C uses the same transport system as glucose, and on "standard" diets that's probably the problem. Scott's antarctic expedition probably died of scurvy because they were eating a pound of biscuit a day (in addition to tinned meat), whereas Amundsen's ate freshly-killed undercooked meat (including their own dogs on the way back as the sleds got lighter).

This site:

Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health.

has some more information on explorers, including Vilhjalmur Stefansson, who went for a year on an all-meat diet in New York to prove to a disbelieving medical profession (which had never been to the arctic) that it could be done. After all, Eskimos, Canadian Indians, and Siberian tribesmen had been doing it for a very long time.

You may also find Stefansson's account of his year on the all-meat diet somewhere online. It's called The Fat of the Land.

My reaction to "what does everyone think?" would tend to be along the lines of "Why bother?" It should work—if you do it properly. But there's no need. The cultures that ate like that did so from necessity. Where you've got year-round access to plant-food as well as animal food a mixed diet is easier—and probably cheaper, too.
    Last edited by Lewis; 09-15-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Mad spellchecker built-in to Safari that changed "tinned meat" to "timed meat"

PrimalCon New York
    Why would you eat nothing but spinach for a whole day? Where did you get the impression that that would be a healthy and maintainable thing to do?

Popeye.

eat a mixture of animal and vegetable products like the book says. Steam or otherwise cook your vegetables and put a little butter on them if they're so damn horrible to you.

yeah, i'm finding strictly, animal proteins to acidify me too much, like cheese, egg whites,... and using the animal fats primarily, butter, egg yolk buttermilk. to balance acid. yeah, and i'll probably end up being forced to butter up my cabbage, or seaweed, to "alkalize", whatever that means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast