Thread: October 5th, i'm tackling the Grouse Grind! Any hiking tips? page

Nion is offline Senior Member

October 5th, i'm tackling the Grouse Grind! Any hiking tips?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so my mother inlaw wants to do the Grouse Grind Trail for her birthday. Lord knows why. She's sickly and we'll probably have to carry her to the top.
    Anyway, i'm fairly fit (i can hike a few km and not be a puffing mess of sweat, but i'm not quite a Spartan yet)

The thing i'm worried about is the incline. Anyone got tips for hiking such steep stuff? It's said to get to 45 degrees in some places. If we have to help her out i'd rather be prepared, lol.

I will probably take the camcorder too, and film in a couple places and from the summit, if anyone's interested! You can see all of Vancouver, right over the border into the USA from the top
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    If you have some trekking poles, they will help(both you and Mom) with the climbs. Also, be sure to keep upright when doing hills(and the flats), and push off the balls of your feet...Good luck, and have fun:-)

BCingyou is offline Member
    I'm no hardass hiker but I've done the grind tons of time. It's really not that extreme. There are stairs a lot of the way, room to take breaks, and you'll see lots of older people doing it (kids too).

Bring snacks and water, take breaks.

Yes the view is great from the top. It's a hell of a feeling getting up to the lodge at the top and looking out. Taking the cablecar down is fun too...

Quote Originally Posted by BCingyou View Post
    I'm no hardass hiker but I've done the grind tons of time. It's really not that extreme. There are stairs a lot of the way, room to take breaks, and you'll see lots of older people doing it (kids too).

Bring snacks and water, take breaks.

Yes the view is great from the top. It's a hell of a feeling getting up to the lodge at the top and looking out. Taking the cablecar down is fun too...
    Good to know! I'm told it's just a LOT of stairs basically.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I did the Grouse Grind a couple years ago when I was in Vancouver for work. I am used to doing the Manitou Incline and I came from altitude (I live at 6700 ft) and it was hella easy for me. However, it is pretty long and could take about 1.5 hours or so to finish.
    If your MIL wants to do it and is sickly, she might not make it. There are some parts that will be very hard for her iirc. She might just want to take the gondola up and wait for you at the top. Where they serve beer.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I did the Grouse Grind a couple years ago when I was in Vancouver for work. I am used to doing the Manitou Incline and I came from altitude (I live at 6700 ft) and it was hella easy for me. However, it is pretty long and could take about 1.5 hours or so to finish.
    If your MIL wants to do it and is sickly, she might not make it. There are some parts that will be very hard for her iirc. She might just want to take the gondola up and wait for you at the top. Where they serve beer.

She's done it before, when she was healthy. So she thinks she can do it again with stomach tumors. She refuses to acknowledge she's sick, and it's her birthday thing so *shrug* if we have to, me and the DH will help her up and rest when she needs it.