Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Kaytee) page

Kaytee is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Kaytee)

Shop Now
    I came across a fitness website promoting the paleo diet about a month ago and was very intrigued. Started gathering information about it and am about 75% paleo now. Still have a ways to go and a LOT to learn. I was very excited when I came across this site because it looks like there is a ton of information. I have been religously tracking my diet and exercise for the last month, but I have never tracked anything publicly before. Guess this will give me additional incentive to be better. What I have found so far is: I don't miss the sweets, I have a ton more energy, I have almost cut out snacking completely (which I thought would never happen because I was snacking all day before), if I eat I health high-protien breakfast, I don't even think about food until about 1:00 in the afternoon and can't believe how fast the morning has gone. I have never been a big vegetable or fruit eater in my life. I am resolved to trying new things, and have been doing real well. I now snack on blueberries, a small handfull of cashews, or a bannana rather than Hugs or Golden Oreos. I have lost 11 pounds feeling full and energetic. That has never happened on any unsuccessful diet I have tried in past. I'm excited about the paleo lifestyle.

My first Challenge Report:

Breakfast - Denny's - ordered an egg, cheese and spinich omelet with 2 slices of turky bacon (my normal breakfast there is French Toast), water

Lunch - Prepackaged Chef's Salad from Safeway (lettuce, ham, turkey, cheese and ranch dressing), water

Dinner - Sirloin steak and fresh steamed green beans (i bought green beans before I read about lugumes. Can't afford to throw them away, so just will not purchase next shopping trip.)

Snacks - Two Diet Cokes (I've cut way back, but haven't given up yet), will have apple slices before bedtime.

Compared to my pre-primal diet, this is an excellent eating day. I am very happy with it, but I know there is room for improvement. I'll finish reading the free e-books that came with the newsletter subscription and maybe I'll know more tomorrow. We are travelling this weekend, so it will be much harder to eat Primal. I will definitely make wiser menu decisions tho.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Glad it's going well for you.

Fresh legumes are primal. No problem at all!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thank you Hedonist. I have a lot to learn. I did read this weekend that beans were okay, but that you needed to soak them first. So will do that. Also, beans are not the choice vegetable if you are trying to lose weight (I am), so I will reduce them, but maybe not cut them out. Hope I have that part right now.

Three days without internet. Seemed like I had lost my world. Home now and ready to report my last three days, plus today.

16th
    B - Egg and 3 bacon strips. (Eaten closer to lunch time then breakfast)
    L - None
    D - Hamburger patty with Cheese, carrots, asparagus, grapes
    S -None

17th
    B - Two eggs and four sausages
    L - Ceasar's salad with chicken and ranch dressing
    D - Chicken salad with ranch dressing, prime rib, broccoli, watermelon, grapes, cream
    S - M&M's (twice)

18th
    B - None
    L - Mongolian beaf with white rice, tea
    D - Cheese roll up and double decker taco (Taco Bell)
    S - Swizzler cherry bites and M&Ms

19th
    B - None
    L - Carne asada meat, lettuce, and cheese
    D - Steak, green beans
    S - Grapes, blueberries

It is very hard to be primal while traveling. Three days of traveling and all meals were either at restaruants or parties (rehersal dinner, wedding - NOT mine). I was very pleased with my food choices. I didn't find it hard at all to choose fruit over wedding cake. I have been very fortunate not to have the "carb flu" that I have been reading about. From day two or three, I have had more energy than I have had in years, I have not even thought of foods, and have had to make myself eat a couple of times even though I wasn't hungry (tonight for instance). I am never hungry in the morning but eat eggs and bacon to start the day with a boost of protien and get my energy going. I often have to remember lunch. Pre-primal, I was eating breakfast because I was hungry waking up and a half hour later snacking on cookies or Hugs chocolate candies until lunchtime. Outside of eating out at restaurants, I have found this to be a lifestyle that was made for me. My added benefit is that I have suffered from almost daily headaches for all my adult years. I have only had one or two headaches a week since being "mostly" primal. What a difference that has made in my life.

I did read this weekend that beans were okay, but that you needed to soak them first.
    That would be dried beans, of course. I eat them, but, no, they are not good for weight loss.

Sounds like you are doing well.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks again for your support Hedonist

B: None
    L: 2 eggs and 4 bacon strips
    D: Pre-packaged Chef's Salad from grocery store
    S: Yogurt

Better day today. Yesterday I felt terrible with no energy at all. That was a first since I've been "mostly" Primal - about three weeks now. I wondered if it was the low carb flu I've read about. Today I felt much better and had energy again. I got out to the pool for my movement day hour. Did not feel like snacking all day, ate good, and didn't even lay down for a nap today. Tonight I realized that yesterday's crumminess was probably a result of having my flu shot the day before. So now I'm glad to be back on track.

B: 4 pieces of bacon and 1/2 cup of grapes
    L: Leftover mongolian beef with 1 cup carrots
    D: Chicken, lettuce, and cheese salad with 1 tsb store bought ranch dressing
    S: Large Diet coke (I am doing better, but still can't kick the diet coke. It feels so good on my throat. Down to 2 or 3 a week from 3 or for a day. Baby steps.)

Large Diet coke (I am doing better, but still can't kick the diet coke. It feels so good on my throat. Down to 2 or 3 a week from 3 or for a day. Baby steps.)
    Yes. I like the carbonation too. I use seltzer water with some vanilla and stevia to create a cream soda. Or you could add other flavoring.
    Ancestral Health Info

Autumnrose is offline Member
    Good job with trying to give up the diet soda. I went cold turkey, but replaced the diet soda with more coffee. I'm not sure that is a good thing. I like the carbonation from soda and bought a Soda Stream. I add mostly lemon but use to use flavored stevia. I forgot about the flavored stevia.

Thank you for the alternatives to the soda. I will look into it. I don't drink coffee, and very, very little tea - maybe twice month at restaurants. I mostly drink water, lots of water.

Not much eating today. Not hungry this morning. Took my own salad to a luncheon, then got home late and didn't feel like eating, so just heading to bed.

B: None
    L: Safeway prepackaged Chef's Salad with Ranch Dressing (only use about half the dressing)
    D: None
    S: Smoothie at friends house. She fixed it without even asking me, so I felt obligated to drink it. It was very small, maybe about 4-6 ounces. Made of Yogurt, Apple juice, and frozen berries, so probably not all bad anyway.

And, I had another one of those damn cokes. My 16-year old brought it home for me, so I couldn't say "no", right. He is just so super sweet and thoughtful most of the time. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and tell him about my lifestyle change. Wanted to keep it to myself until some physically noticable changes came about. Two small things for me: I slipped my wedding ring off my finger tonight for the first time in over 5 years. I was just twirling it and it slipped right off. Second, I am comfortable in my bras. I don't feel like ripping the damn things off the minute I walk in the door anymore. Just a little encouragement for me. Although, I am doing really well without it. It is easy to make better food choices and I'm never hungry, no matter how little or how much I eat. Strange, but feels good. Tomorrow I will eat three healthy meals though. I'm sure its probably not good to have as little as I've had the last two days. Maybe I could just say it was IF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast