Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal is not a magic bullet: A Rant page

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member

Primal is not a magic bullet: A Rant

Shop Now
    This has been building in me for a while, and Mark's posts yesterday and today triggered a bit of exasperation. Thus, a rant - you have been forewarned.

I've been primal/paleo for six months. I got into it in an effort to help some health issues - fibromyalgia being the big one, plus arthritis and horrendous allergies. During this time, I've tried every permutation and elimination I could think of to figure out how to best care for my sorry ass. I've found out some valuable stuff - dairy is the devil incarnate, nightshades don't have any discernible effect, beef heart is tasty.

I eat pretty impeccably from a paleo standpoint; all my meats are local, grassfed/pastured (or canned sardines), my veggies are local organics, I eat offal like it's going out of style. I've had grains exactly twice - both times a little bit of white rice when I had sushi. Sugar? Bitch, please. Bacon fat and coconut oil in everything. I wear minimalist ballet flats to my desk job, take ten-minute walks every couple of hours, stand whenever I can, get an hour of primal bodyweight/circuit exercises three or four times a week.

You know what all this has done? My hair, skin and nails are healthier. My boobs are fuller, my muscles slightly more defined.

That's it.

I still feel like complete shit. I'm in pain, I'm exhausted, it feels like I'm trying to think through cotton. My joints are sore as ever. My allergies haven't changed one iota. Seeing people's success stories are enough to make me cry in frustration - don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to hear about people reclaiming their lives, but goddammit, why can't that be me, too? Why do I have to work so hard and get so little in return?

I'm not planning on throwing in the towel - the science alone is more than enough to convince me that primal/paleo is the way to go. Before I found MDA, I'd never even heard about lectin and phytates, or the relationship (or lack thereof) between dietary and serum cholesterol, or even the real role that cholesterol plays in the body. All the other anti-grain people I'd stumbled across (Andrew Weil, Konstantin What's-His-Face "Fiber Menace" Guy) seemingly didn't know a scientifically robust, repeatable experiment from a hole in the ground - Mark has more than convinced me with the weight of the evidence to which he points. My hair, skin and nails are enough of a personal proof. (Also bacon.)

But I still feel like complete shit, and it sucks.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Eating right is a big part, but for some things, you'll need other types of support, workouts, swimming, getting out of the angry cauldron that is Mass...

Don't through in the towel, just realize (as you obvious HAVE) that it's not the end all be all, but only a portion of a whole wellness process.

I could say more, but I stopped thinking after "boobs are fuller".
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    I agree with davem 100% especially the angry cauldron thing. environment plays a big role in how we feel. and during the time i lived in the metro boston area, i felt like shit. hated that place

davem is offline Senior Member
    Let's not turn this into a shit on the boston area thread but... why ARE PEOPLE SO ANGRY HERE?!

I derail, apologies.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    I have heard Robb Wolf and Kurt Harris talk about how nothing else matters much if you're not getting good sleep. You didn't mention your sleep. I also think you can eat too much offal. Once a week is plenty, I thought. You could have an allergy, some type of infection, stress, etc.

Donnn is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried PQQ (pyrroloquinoline quinone) and the ubiquinol form of CoQ10?

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Let's not turn this into a shit on the boston area thread but... why ARE PEOPLE SO ANGRY HERE?!

I derail, apologies.
    we could always just start a shit on boston thread...
    sorry...

your body didn't feel this shitty overnight. it's going to take time to heal itself. stick to the paleo/primal thing. get some sleep. maybe get some bloodwork done. CRP, blood cell counts and whatnot
    Last edited by not on the rug; 09-15-2011 at 12:35 PM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you've got other things going on that Paleo/Primal will not fix, just as I did. This did not fix my adrenal fatigue, which I had to address separately. This did not fix my thyroid, which I had to address separately. This did not fix my leaky gut, which I had to address separately. This did not fix my candidiasis, which I had to address separately. (And, BTW, many of your symptoms do sound like it's possible you have candidiasis.) Consider going to a naturopath to get it all sorted out. That's what I did. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Everything I listed above has been fixed now.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    People here might not agree with me, but I think the first thing I would do if your diet, sleep, and stress are all in line: go to the freaking doctor. Grok didn't live as long because 1) he fought big animals, 2) he got diseases that diet alone can't combat. If you have serious health issues, step into the 21st century for a minute and let the professionals take care of you. Be an active patient, ask questions, and do your research....but for goodness sake, we have modern medicine for a reason. Schmucks on the internet (me, Mark, and everyone here) shouldn't be your primary source of crucial health information.

I've been primal since mid-June and it wasn't until I got blood work done that I realized I had thyroid and testosterone issues. I had constant brain fog, mood swings, and chronic fatigue. I was following the Primal Blueprint 95/5, and things only got worse throughout the summer. I'm now getting medical treatment and I feel a whole lot better, while still living primal.
    Last edited by CoS; 09-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    When I think of the North East I pretty much in-vision angry people yelling at each other.

Probably the same way they think of everyone in Texas as an idiot on a horse.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast