Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Paleo, first meal, question on what to drink page

verdilak is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Today was the first day I started Paleo, and yesterday was when I first heard about it lol. Anyway, I decided to wait to be hungry until I decided to eat and was surprised at how I was not hungry at breakfast or lunch times, though I did eat about 5-6 mixed nuts at around 2pm.

Since we have been snowed in, I had little food on hand but this is what I made for myself and my family (my family is adding pasta to it, none for me thanks!)

10 mushrooms, thinly sliced

1 medium sized yellow onion, thinly sliced

a handful of broccoli, broken up

a stick of celery, thinly sliced

handful of baby carrots, thinly sliced

5 cherry tomatoes, quartered

For the thinly sliced veggies, I used a mandolin (love them) to slice them.

I threw in our last homemade butter from a friend of ours and some EVOO, sauteed the veggies, threw in two eggs, and some imitation crab meat (I know, not exactly the best since it did have some salt in it, but again, have been snowed in for the past few days).

I was very happy with what I made, eating about half of it and a small handful of nuts, along with a cup of water.

Which has me wondering... is water about it to drink? I LOVE ginger ale, I drink often 2 cans of it a day (which dropping it will help me in loosing weight), but what else can I drink besides water, soups, and broths?

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

My treat, carbonated water! And my saying, don't drink your calories!

If you like a cup of dry red wine every-so-often, then indulge! Maybe not for breakfast though :P

Tea, Coffee.

I grok, therefore I am.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

What lovestoclimb said - "don't drink your calories!"

The only thing I drink that has calories is whiskey .

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

water... squeeze in some lemon if you like. In the summer, some people make up a pitcher of water with mint and cucumber slices in it... I haven't tried that but it sounds refreshing.

If you like the ginger flavor you could boil some ginger in water, then drink it as ginger tea - hot or cold. Sweeten it with a little stevia or something if you'd like it sweetish.

coconut water is awesome, provided you get an unsweetened one with no added ingredients.

coconut milk is great too - needs to be diluted for me to want to drink a glass of it, but here's my recipe for that: http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/10/11/coconut-drink-recipe/

I'm not usually big on milk drinking but since becoming pregnant sometimes I'll have a glass of milk to get in some more calories.

Homemade hot chocolate is great too... warm some milk or cream (if using cream, you'll want to dilute it with water definitely) in a double boiler and add chunks of dark chocolate, whisking them in as they melt. Throw in a splash of vanilla extract if you want.

I stay away from juice. If I want fruit, I eat fruit.

Coffee (decaf) is fine. As is tea. Try drinking your tea unsweetened. Some are really nice cold too. I love cold jasmine tea.

All that said... I mostly just drink water. haha. And if you're trying to lose weight, skip the caloric drinks (the homemade hot cocoa, coconut milk drink, etc) and stick with calorie-free (coffee, tea, water)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

verdilak is offline Member

Heh, fun for me it looks like. I dislike coffee, most teas (can I drink herbal teas with a bit of honey?), and I dont want calorie rich drinks.

thanks for the suggestions though!

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

I like some strong ginger tea, iced, mixed with carbonated water, add a little honey or sweetner if you must. Closest thing to ginger ale and also good for you.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

I love ginger tea! I used to pour hot water & a squeeze of lemon over a ginger chew (Ginger People). The chews melt nicely, but they're made w/ ginger, tapioca starch & cane sugar (10g carb per 2 chews). I dont use them too much anymore. So I just recently bought a ginger root and grated a bunch of it into my most recent glass of green tea.

Mmmm.

FairyRae2 Guest

Here is a lacto-fermented ginger ale recipe. The fermentation will eat up some of the honey, but I'd probably reserve it as a treat, not a daily thing... This version will be much better for your digestion than commercial ginger ale, and a lot healthier!!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lact...ed-Ginger-Ale/

mhoward is offline Member

Don't be too critical of imitation crab. Just think of it as fish cake, which it is, and it sounds a lot classier.

Also, be mindful that calories have to come from somewhere. Be sure to have enough fats, as one cannot live on vegetables alone.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

I know the don't drink your calories mantra, but I've recently discovered carrot juice as a nice break from water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast