Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acne... page

PillowFire is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

How do you guys deal with acne? I'm a teenager, but I am dedicated to finding a way to get rid of the pimples. I don't have a major problem with them, I just want to have a fully clear complexion. I am washing my face twice a day with a cleanser when I shower, and using an anti-acne lotion from CVS. Diet is good. What do you guys recommend and what has worked for you? A problem I have with the lotion I use is that I have to use it or my face gets very dried out and tight after using the facial wash, and it makes my forehead shiny. I wish I could get rid of that.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hi

Long term sufferer here - although mine is due to hormonal stuff going on.

The thing that jumps out at me is when you say your skin gets dried out and tight - ditch the face wash that does that to you. The more it dries out, the more oil it will produce to protect itself. The lotion you add doesn't quite "match" so the extra production will still happen.

I've not heard of CVS so can't comment on that but again, if it's too harsh and works by "stripping" the skin, it will be counter-productive.

Diet wise, I presume plenty of fat?

Do you use dairy? That's a common trigger for a lot of people.

I use Aveda products, but may have to reconsider as they are starting to dry my skin out. A lot of people swear by the "Oil cleansing method". If you google it, look out for forums and discussions rather than an actual product advert.

Oh yeah, I recently got told off for not washing face properly (!!) - I just rubbed cleanser in and rinsed off. I was informed (and it's quite obvious really) to really massage the cleanser in, give it a chance to work, then rinse well.

As for shiny foreheads...I'm still looking for the answer I'm afraid. You can get powdered paper that you just "mop up" with?

Hope that gives you some ideas!

PillowFire is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply!

CVS is the pharmacy; it's a CVS store-brand lotion. I actually use two different cleansers. One in the morning, one in the night. If I don't apply the lotion after the shower, my skin will be dry practically immediately. That, and even after application my skin can still feel somewhat dry although dryness won't look apparent.

I do massage the cleansers in, so I don't know. One thing I do is if a pimple get's really noticable, I will pop it, but thoroughly, use alcohol, and then apply something called "dry-lo" which dries out the area it is applied to. It seems to have some decent effect on slowly making blemishes go away. Oh and, I don't eat dairy. Maybe a piece of quality cheese here or there, or some cheese sprinkled onto a salad, but on a day to day basis I don't consume dairy products.

Anyway, I will google the oil cleansing method.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

pillowfire, I almost never get zits anymore... simple regimen too.

In the shower, I just wash my face with water and a washcloth - using the washcloth in circular motions to exfoliate all over my face and neck.

Then out of the shower, if I remember, I use a tiny bit of cetaphil moisturizer (you can get it at CVS in a tub - not the kind made for face, just the regular body cream in a tub), rub it between my hands and then over my face especially forehead/nose where my skin sometimes gets dry (it's dry and oily at the same time - weird?).

If I do get a zit or two, I use an astringent with salicylic acid in it - just smooth it over the trouble spots with a cotton ball when I get out of the shower... then I wait a while before moisturizing. The zit(s) will disappear in a day or two with that.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

oh also sometimes i use a bit of coconut oil instead of the cetaphil. Just depends on my mood...if it's cold I'm more likely to use cetaphil just because the coconut oil is really hard when it's cold. haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Just my two cents, but I think Burt's Bees acne treatment serum works really well. I got a sample of it a week ago and right at that time a noticed a few pimples on my forehad (cheated with grains prior to that). It cleared them right out.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Acmebike is offline Member

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I don't think diet alone can clear up some people's acne...Especially if you're cleansing improperly...Pillowfire, if I were you, I'd stick to one cleanser with minimal ingredients. I tried some Juice Organic cleanser awhile back from Tj Maxx, and it was soft and smooth and didn't dry my skin out. I used Proactiv for about two or three years, but it stopped working (go figure..) Also tried a Benzoyl Peroxide Bar, which is effective but REALLY harsh, so use moderately...

I'd also try cleansing only once a day, at night, rather than twice if you're noticing your face is dry. Your face should NEVER feel tight or dry after cleansing.

I've been going on-off with the oil cleansing method for about a month or two, with mixed results...Coconut oil didn't seem to work so well after awhile, olive oil didn't impress me, now I'm using almond oil/lemon oil which is alright. Ordered some jojaba oil and tea tree oil for future use, because I love Ebay deals.. You might really benefit from OCM, google it up, just make sure you don't steam for too many times (2 should be sufficient,) or your face will get dry. It does require a lot of trial and error though, so be prepared for mixed results... It at least FEELS effective, whenever I massage the oils in I feel a grainy texture which I've read is the dirt and grime trapped in your pores. Yummy!

Acmebike is offline Member

Just thinking aloud, but what would sorta Acne issues might a teen to young adult Grok or Grokette have had? There certainly were not cleansers, soaps, oils, lotions and potions to apply, and likely there was little need for them. Proper nutrition, sunshine, a healthy skin had to result far more often than not.

I had it bad as a teen, but I was a sugar fiend as well. i used any and all soaps, topical creams, zit lotions, etc, it was terrible! But I finally grew out of it in early college. Seemed the LESS I used the different cleanser regimes, the sooner the acne resolved, but coincidence is likely too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast