Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Abs Exercise is No Abs Exercise? page

jpatrickclark is offline Member

Best Abs Exercise is No Abs Exercise?

Primal Fuel
    So, I am now concentrating much more on compound exercises and avoiding isolation exercises as much as possible. This being the case, I am now wondering if I really am better off to avoid crunches, leg lifts, situps and all other manner of direct abs exercises. I'm still trying to burn off the last of the stubborn belly fat so that I can see my abs come to the surface. Of course, that belly fat took a while to build itself up. So I realize it will also take a while to burn itself back off. But, I'm hoping that since I am now more focused on not overtraining, eating better, and getting plenty of sleep each night, that stubborn fat will finally begin to make its exit. Below is my current routine. Thoughts?

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    (alternate between list A and list B each day, 4 sets of each exercise, working to fail on each set)

A
    Squats
    Barbell rows
    Pullups

B
    Flat bench press
    Decline bench press
    Lat pulldowns

Tuesday, Thursday
    10 minute HIIT Cardio only (5 minute warmup at a slower pace)

I suppose I should also mention that each weight training day is approximately 30 minutes in the gym.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    If you're doing compound lifts, you don't really need all those ab exercises. Also, spot reduction is a load of crap. You don't burn belly fat by doing crunches; you burn belly fat by eating right, getting rest, and being active so that you lose body fat in general.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    If you're doing compound lifts, you don't really need all those ab exercises. Also, spot reduction is a load of crap. You don't burn belly fat by doing crunches; you burn belly fat by eating right, getting rest, and being active so that you lose body fat in general.
    Exactly. The more research I do, the more those facts become clear to me. Ultimately, my biggest issues have been overtraining, not eating properly, sleep deprivation, and too much sitting on my rump. I am now correcting those first three issues which means I now need to concentrate on being more active outside the gym.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere (might have been on Nerd Fitness) that compound-movements will strengthen those abs. I do a lot of different ab-stuff, but I have major repair to be done after pregnancies.

js290 is offline Senior Member

What has been most frustrating for me is that, in general, I am a skinny guy. And that stubborn belly fat really isn't a lot. But it's just enough to keep my abs mostly covered and make me not like what I see in the mirror each morning. I'm just glad though that I'm finally getting some trustworthy advice on how best to achieve my goals. That six pack will get here. It's just going to take time and patience.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatrickclark View Post
    What has been most frustrating for me is that, in general, I am a skinny guy. And that stubborn belly fat really isn't a lot. But it's just enough to keep my abs mostly covered and make me not like what I see in the mirror each morning. I'm just glad though that I'm finally getting some trustworthy advice on how best to achieve my goals. That six pack will get here. It's just going to take time and patience.
    Lift some heavy ass weights.
    W.O.W. 9/10/11-How Physical Culture Neglects the Poor Responder »

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Trying to lift as heavy as I can. And again, working to fail on every set. Since I stopped overtraining, I have already added 10 pounds to my bench press work. Most of the other exercises I listed above I'm still fairly new to though. So, I'm still working towards adding additional weight with those.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    main thing is how you use whatever it is you're developing.

eg, i do certain ab movements for my yoga students so that they can develop the core strength to do other yoga postures more effectively. so, it is a sort of "ground work" on how to access that space. and then it's not as necessary because youa re doing it when you are doing the postures.

so, i look at a lot of al's videos and stuff -- and a lot of it is just this or just that. you know, doing the compound movement or whatever. but then i realize that some of it might require strength in other areas. i mean, plank pose can help with developing the arm strength that facilitates chins, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast