Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80 hour weeks and a Primal Challenge page

Pawson3 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation 80 hour weeks and a Primal Challenge

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A few days late in noticing that there was a new challenge, thus it will begin on 9/15. 3rd year resident ready to be a bit more accountable this month. Did a pretty solid Primal period from Jan to June for my wedding and ended up looking and feeling great, weighed about 177 lbs, not my best, but pretty happy, despite probably drifting towards only 60-70% primal at the end from all the wedding celebrations/honeymoon etc.

Post honeymoon and a new year in residency with 2 ICU rotations set me back....big time. No primal, no home cooked meals, nothing. Lunch and dinner every day was hospital food. Probably could have sacked up and made food daily, but it just wasnt going to happen with my schedule. Now Im 4 weeks from a vacation and just wanting to get back to feeling great again.

Starting: 186lbs
    Hip: 37"
    Waist: 36"
    Bi: 14"
    Upper thigh: 26"
    Lower thigh: 20"
    Calf: 15"
    Neck: 16"
    BF: coming soon
    Pics: coming tomorrow

Follow along.....

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. We do the best we can with what we have. Good luck on getting back in the groove.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Great Day 1, as usual with PB. Generally work in a protein drink in the AM, had some sliced turkey with salsa for lunch, and a piece of grilled chicken with some red sauce for dinner. Full all day, no cravings, love it. Going to try and work in some IF early next week as well. Uploading some "before pics" ASAP.

On a workout note, Ive been nursing a calf strain for about 4 days. I had started up the Insanity workout vids and was doing great for week 1, and tweeked my calf on a Plyo move. Tried to get moving again yesterday only to feel a twinge. Guess my 31 year old body isnt as quick to recover. Did a butt load of pushups, pullups, and situps yesterday instead, and hitting the pool today. Getting old gets old. Time to feel young again with some PB!!

Day 6 in the books and doing pretty well. Probably around 70% primal right now, and working on improving that daily. Breakfast of an omllette with turkey sausage, lunch of a big ass salad and grilled chicken, dinner of steak kabobs and some broccoli. Glass of red with dinner. Havent been on the scale yet but probably havent moved too much. Had some beers this weekend while watching my Bills tear up the Raiders, and had a few drinks Saturday night at a concert. No excuses, but it was the first weekend off with the wife since June, so we wanted to live it up a bit. Back on track today and feeling good.

Good workout this morning. Did a full body workout of lifting at the gym then 10 minutes of interval stationary bike sprints (raining out). Keepin it goin!

moxie is offline Member
    Pawson,

It's great to see another person who works outrageous hours succeeding with the Primal Lifestyle!

I'm not working quite as much as you - but my job and my 70+ hour work weeks were definitely something that I used as a crutch for my weight gain for a long time. No more excuses though!

Grok on,

-mox

Back on board. Unfortunately not the way I wanted, however. things have been good, but not as primal as I may have liked. I can feel like the first 4-5 entries of Bane's posts, constantly fluctuating until taking some serious control. I cant kid myself and pretend that Ill be on here every single day posting, but things are starting to settle out and with a New year comes a New challenge for myself, and it all starts with attempting to get back to basics this year. I reread marks book, Im shooting for 80-90% primal, lifting heavy things, sprinting a few times a week, getting outdoors, and trying to love me some life!! While I dont really expect anyone to really follow, we'll see how it goes....

My numbers are.....the same as they were in September. Crap. Here we go!!

Getting into it....slowly.

Breakfast was ok...fairly large after a crazy overnight shift. Need to cut back on those. Included eggs, bacon, sausage, (some) potatoes, and a beer. Woke up today and have just had Think thin bar and a coffee....those think thin bars, while not primal, are low on the carbs and when the cupboards are empty, which they usually are, it seems to be an ok thing to fill up on. I need to cut back on them though.

Tonight should be ok food wise, but its inevitable that I end up having some beers....hockey game downtown with the fellas. Ill try and keep it under wraps.

Big lift and sprints tomorrow before another overnight shift for the next 2.

Some goals for the next 30 days:
    No facebook- substituting my daily facebook with daily MDA
    Lose 5-7 lbs Primally
    Read one chapter of leisure reading per day
    Read 3 chapters of medical lit per week
    Workout 3-4 times per week
    Cut back on the booze- probably a big issue in me staying healthy....if I can limit myself to drinking with the crew once a week, that will be awesome
    No more breakfasts out after work, a COMPLETE sabatoge on the diet

Lets do this!

Hello all! Things are going well. Just sent in my new Challenge pics to Mark, hopefully he got them in time and he will take them. If not, Ill just load them up here and go from there. The Diet has been easy, as it previously has, as expected. Enjoying the goodness of Primal foods. Even out to eat! Went out tonight, had a great salad, nice steak with broccoli, and a glass of red. Not gonna lie, had 2 bites of a lava cake, but honestly, there were no cravings for it, and after 2 bites I was good. It felt great. I also dont feel all bloated and gross after a night out at dinner, and I got to spend some QT with the wife afterwards instead of getting that carb-y gross feeling and passing out on the couch. Good night all in all

Workouts have been intense and very good. As I said before, Im very much back into lifting heavy things, so much so that I do it 3 times a week; Im loving it. Still working in my treadmill and bike sprints when I can. The weight isnt really peeling off just yet, Im still hovering; but to be honest, I had a pretty big night on the town recently, that may have derailed me for a day. Im back on board though, thats why we shoot for 80%, right?

Things going well over the past week! Ive been doing well with Primal for the past week, and have been about 80/20. I have had a few lapses as Im getting back into things, mainly with just some occasional slips. Ive basically cut out the booze, only down to a few glasses of wine this week at some work socials. Ive been out to eat a few times with these work recruitment socials, and with the exceptions of a few fries at the last place, and a few chips at the first place, Ive been ok. These have ended (thankfully- not for work, because they are a good time, but for my waist), and the next few weeks should be a lot more consistent.

Ive been using myfitness pal to keep track of my carbs primarily- and I have been pretty good at keeping around 100g/day which is pretty good. The weight is not necessarily slipping off as I want (still 189), but again, diet definitely not perfect, and doing LOTS of lifting heavy things. I know that Mark only wants us to hit it 2x/week, and Im doing my best to keeping these things in line. I also add a kettlebell workout in for 2x/week as well, more for stamina/cardio/lifting, and bike sprinting (HIIT) 2x/week. While the weight is not necessarily coming off quickly, my body looks and feels great, and my wife will be the first to say so, which Im loving.

Until next time....

2 weeks since my last post, and things are....good. I have not lost much weight, but my body is transforming. I have become a little to addicted to lifting, im loving getting back into heavy lifting, which I think has transformed me from losing a lot just to shifting my body around, which my wife definitely appreciates so far. Current weight 187, but I FEEL great and and getting STRONG, which I love. until next time...

p.s. Arizona in 5 weeks. Get it done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast