Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit? (Or Unrelenting Box of Torture) page

Paleosence is offline Member

Crossfit? (Or Unrelenting Box of Torture)

Primal Fuel
    Hi Pimers

I've been doing a lot of walking, heavy gardening, playing on the beach with my little boy and so on. But decided I needed to get on with the sprints and weights. Suddenly I noticed the crossfit sign, right near my home, that I had driven past everyday. So in I go, a still overweight 44 year old woman, and the trainer does an initial one on one session with me, he pushes me, and some more, and some more, for the whole hour. For days I cannot walk without cramps and pain, I can't lift my son, even cooking is a mammoth effort. And the fatigue, I was in bed at 8 with my son for the next three nights. It wiped me. I get a txt from the trainer asking me how I feel, I tell him, and wonder when I'm ready for my first actual class. "Come tomorrow, you'll be right". I went, but I wasn't alright. I couldn't even start the class, my legs were jello and wouldn't do what my brain was trying to tell them to do. I struggled through the class, with a much worse performance than on my initial one-on-one session. To his credit, the trainer did notice, but told me to work through it, coming at least 4 times a week if I wanted to make progress. I didn't, cause my life has priority over crossfit, but tried to get back there as soon as I wasn't extremely fatigued from the previous class, maybe once or twice a week. Trainer keeps telling me to hit it harder to see results, and that recovery will speed up if I make it through two tough weeks. I'm thinking of tossing it in. I don't have a lot of confidence that the trainer to understand my needs, and his advice doesn't seem to sit well with what I'm learning here.

I'd rather take guidance from this community than my trainer. Please help me with some ideas about what I should do?

Paleosence is offline Member
    I was doing sprints with my son, he on his push-along 2 wheeler, and me on my feet. Where I used to struggle to keep up with him, he was having to work hard to keep up with me! So it must be working...... but the fatigue....... (maybe I am nearly ready for him to upgrade to a pedal bike....hmmm... I'm worried about him getting away from me and my not being able to catch him before we hit a road. Yes, I'm holding him back).

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    I think four times a week of Crossfit right out of the blocks would be really hard. I'd work up to it. 2, then 3, then 4. And even after that, occasionally just go once/week but do a lot of walking that week. I do 4 days/week now, but I had to work up to it. My gym is not that great at resting any certain muscles so when I do go 4 or even 5 times in one week, I tend to work a lot of the same muscles multiple days in a row. If this happens to be my shoulders or triceps, I can't even lift my kid.

Oh, and I don't think 4 times per week is remotely necessary. I do it because I can get in a quick lunch workout, freeing me to do other things in the evening and I like to get myself out of the office at noon and NOT out for lunch. I also get a good social value from my gym. I don't think any person NEEDS 4 times per week to make impressive progress. I'm not the first person to say this- it's waaaay more important to have a perfect diet.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I've always been of the mindset that working out should make what you do in life better, so I don't think exercise should impede your life to where you can't cook or lift your son.

Maybe you could do crossfit just once a week and do other bodyweight/sprint exercises the rest of the week until you feel up to more?

From personal experience, I can be intensely sore after cross fit the next day, and even follow into the day after that. However, I usually only feel like jelly during or immediately the workout, not at the next one. Are you getting enough sleep, water, and protein for your muscles to heal after a workout?

If your trainer gives you problems, you can always say "I understand your need to push me, and I'm thankful for it, but only I know what I'm feeling and how it affects my life. So I'll make the final call on what I do." If he pushes, go elsewhere!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert, but I've been around.

This guy pushed you way too hard. You should not not be able to walk and/or have to take to your bed. Four times a week for a beginner is just too much.

I'm not doing CF, but I recently started a group fitness class that's working my body unlike anything ever has (bodyweight, compound movements, deep stretching), so exactly what you're writing about is up-front-and-center for me, right now.

The first class felt like a true accomplishment and triumph to complete and I was pushed to right at my max, but it did not blow me out of the water, like what you're describing. I was sore for the next 2 days, but it was the good kind of sore (as opposed to the over-the-top kind of sore--I do know what you are talking about) and I was able to move .... and I looked forward to the next time I could go (not dreading it). I was only able to do 2 times a week, with lots of recovery in between. It has taken about 4 weeks for me to even consider going 3 times a week. In the beginning I was working so hard I was nauseous, but now I'm not even that. (P.S. I'm 42.)

What this guy is trying to get you to do is just to much for you, where you are right now, and it's pissing me off a little that he's just barreling ahead and not listening to you or your body. Not a good sign.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 09-14-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    It's too much for you and too soon.

with how you are describing your DOMS as well as the shape I imagine you might be in - two times a week would be quite a feat.

Back off a lot - but don't give up. Crossfit is a useful tool but only in the capacity that you utilize it correctly. It sounds like you have an active, passionate crossfit trainer which is a good thing too much of that for you right now, however, is a very bad thing.

Everyone is correct in that your body will adapt to work hard (and trust me you will never be in the pain and discomfort you are currently in again). It get's way better - trust me. Take it a little easier and give yourself some ramp up time.

Crossfit *is* worth it; but trust me when I say that if you don't enjoy the feeling of getting your butt kick it may not be the right regimen for you.
    ad astra per aspera

julie-a is offline Member
    I think he pushed you too hard too. I've been doing crossfit type exercise at home lately and I'm loving it but still haven't done the real thing yet. I think I'd rather work up to it a bit on my own before I try it. Can't even do a pull-up but we have a bar at home so I'm working on it. I also have a 10 lb medicine ball, weighted bar, a few free-weights, jump rope, and dip station. One site I get a lot of ideas from is bodyrock . tv. I find the workouts are usually not too long but intense and there are always modifications for beginners or if you don't have any equipment. Good luck!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I think, and no disrespect to the community here, the fact that you'd rather take advice from us than the coach means they probably weren't a great coach. Unfortunately, Crossfit is pretty un-regulated so the standard of instruction will vary massively. This is a problem with all coaching though.

You'll know you've found the right coach when:

a. You trust them.
    b. They get YOU results.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Heh... been there...

You over trained plain and simple.... Rest for a full week and give it another go... dont worry... you only get THAT sore once if you keep with it.

Also only keep going if you enjoy the workout if you dont look for alternatives.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    4 times a week like that is "chronic cardio" and you are releasing stress hormones. Counter-productive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast