Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much exercise? page

sstan03 is offline Junior Member

Too much exercise?

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone.
    Okay, I am just starting out going primal. I have been following Atkins for over a year with good results but have peaked (still have about 40 lbs to loose). I have been trying to follow the exercise suggestions but am not sure about a couple things. I am in Krav Maga and go to class 4 times a week (I love it). The classes are 1 hour long and they are pretty intense. I have also added an evening walk with the family after dinner each night. I am wondering if the extensive Krav Maga workouts are over doing it for me. I did learn about Primal Blueprint from the instructors and they highly recommend it. I do not know my heart rate during class but I do know it is above the 75% heart rate for a good part of the class. Through class we will go hard then take about a minute or two break then go at it again. We can slow down if we want but I enjoy it so i tend to go pretty hard. It does wear me out but i feel great after the class is over. I also tend to get tired about 1.5 hours after the workout. If i miss a couple classes, and get back to it, i will usually be sore the next day.

Thanks for any input. I am always open to ways to improve my health.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Background info would help, but I don't think what you are doing is too much at all. I wouldn't worry about it. It's play and exercise rolled into one-much like mark's Ultimate.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Background info would help, but I don't think what you are doing is too much at all. I wouldn't worry about it. It's play and exercise rolled into one-much like mark's Ultimate.
    I agree with this.

I wouldn't say that being sore the next day is a problem. When I was "over-doing it" with regards to working out, I had a general feeling of fatigue and being worn down on many days. I solved it simply by exercising a little less and sleeping more. If you feel that way, you might try the same - but if it's just being tired shortly after the workout or a little soreness it's nothing to be worried about. But if you're feeling run down for days on end, it's probably time to try resting a bit more.

hey Apex and jsa23, thanks for the input. Apex, what other type of info would be helpful? Information about me: I am 5' 10" and weigh 225 - 230 lbs. I want to get down to 190 lbs. I have stopped eating processed foods (i do use creamer in my coffee and I eat cheese). I have a difficult time getting grass fed beef as my wife does the shopping and gets whatever she wants. (I am not complaining just stating facts). My wife and 2 kids go by the CW diets...they eat processed stuff and lots of breads and cereals. She does try to help me with my diet but still makes the deserts and stuff that is not healthy to eat. I usually do not have an issue with being tempted by that stuff.

As far as being tired after my workout, it is not right after my workout but about an hour after, i get a real bad case of the sleepy's but I am at work so i can not take a nap.

Just let me know what other info would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Stress indicators, sleep, any medical conditions, any medication, your fitness level-especially in comparison to this, athletic history, and age.

Though unless there is something alarming in one of these, I think you are fine.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I used to do Krav 3 times a week. Are you doing a mix of the actual self-defense classes and "Krav Maga Fitness" classes?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

robf is offline Member
    Probably not to much exercise, you would have to do a lot of exercise daily for extended periods of time in order to overtrain. As long as you have some time off to recover between the classes, which it sounds like you do, you shouldn't have a problem with over training. Most likely it is that you are still trying to lose weight and correct years of "bad" eating and little exercise. Get plenty of sleep, keep exercising, do the walks you are doing, eat right and if you do feel excessively tired or sore, you can skip a KM workout without losing any gains you have made; just don't do it too often. Your body is adapting and it takes some time. You don't say how long you have been doing your workouts and eating primal, but adapting to your new lifestyle can take a while, sometimes a few months. Don't get discouraged, listen to your body, and keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Stress indicators, sleep, any medical conditions, any medication, your fitness level-especially in comparison to this, athletic history, and age.

Though unless there is something alarming in one of these, I think you are fine.
    Stress is pretty high. I have a fast paced job with an ever changing target/goal. I get to work by 5:30 AM and usually leave around 4:30 PM. I do take time in the middle of the day to go to my Krav Maga classes so I get to relieve some of the stresses of the day there. The classes I attend are more of the actual self-defense level but are very similar to the crossfit ideas. When I get home, I am usually worn out but have 2 wonderful kids that want my time. I know I can get grumpy with them at times but try my best not to.
    Currently, I am on meds for Cholesterol (Welchol), Triglycerides (Tricor and Niaspan), Thyroid (L-Thyroxin) and Low-T (Androderm). I also take vit. D3 as blood work shows i am low on vit D. I also take a baby aspirin each night. My cholesterol numbers have gotten better in the past year as I have cut out the junk carbs (processed stuff).
    I have been doing Krav Maga for a little over a year now (started out slow, 2 X a week and have moved up to 4 X a week). Before that I was in the gym 4 -5 X a week, lifting weights and doing chronic cardio.
    I am 43 years old and weigh in around 225 - 230 lbs. and am 5' 10" tall.
    I know i do not get the sleep i should but i am working on trying to get that under control. I try to get to bed by 9 PM and am up by 4:30 AM. I have issues staying asleep, as i will wake up through out the night and sometimes i can not get back to sleep. I have had sleep studies done and do not suffer from sleep apnea.
    Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I used to do Krav 3 times a week. Are you doing a mix of the actual self-defense classes and "Krav Maga Fitness" classes?
    Do you still do Krav?

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can't help but think you are over medicated. Why don't you list your blood work numbers and get a little feed back from other people here that know a bit about this stuff. But, when I see what sounds like a reasonably healthy person that is also fairly young taking a medicine cabinet daily, that sets off a lot of red flags in my mind. Powerful medications like those mess with all kinds of things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast