Thread: Need help with feeling like I'm choking or maybe its GR_ page

loligoss is offline Senior Member

Need help with feeling like I'm choking or maybe its GR_

Shop Now
    I suffer with IBS. Was on Thyroid medication which I weened myself off.
    Have been low carbing since January (Atkins) I tend to go off plan at holidays (Jewish) and birthdays. Have my TOM far too often despite being on birth control. Too dangerous for me to become pregnant and thank G-d I have 3 great kids.

In the beginning (The induction phase) I was always full and could hardly eat. The it sort of stabilized. I did primal before Atkins and whilst I was doing Atkins I still did not eat much processed food and limited sweeteners. I cut out sweeteners completely recently. I get numbness and tingeling which I noticed were not too bad when I was eating real food.

However, I get like a lump in my throat when I eat that doesn't go away for hours. I don't know if it's from Nuts (I cut them out this week to see if it makes a difference), coconut milk, nightshade veg etc

I'm 44, stressed out, 5"3 weigh 130+ - (depending of the day of the week). I workout at least 4 days a week (swimming, toning, weight lifting, cycling in the gym etc)

Did this happen to anyone else? Any suggestions are welcome

Dellastreet is offline Member
    First, either you have a thyroid condition or not. I'm all for alternative medicines, ways of eating, etc., but I don't think you can just ween yourself off of thyroid meds. I see too many people who don't want to take meds, even if they are very necessary, such as thyroid meds. This is my 2 cents, but considering the effect the thyroid has on the entire system, I would not want to ween myself off of the meds. Are you getting regular testing and do you know your levels? Again, my 2 cents, but I'd want to know exactly where I am with my thyroid - it will effect so much else that you do.

That said, I have Hashimoto's and take a thyroid med. I used to notice that I felt fuller in my neck during 'that time of month,' than at other times. I didn't get a choking sensation, but I did feel like there was pressure around my throat. Even in menopause, I'd get the sensation. I can't say what diet has to do with it, or if there is any correlation at all, but I do notice that if I stick to my eating plan, it isn't a problem and the month goes by and I don't even notice my thyroid. Good luck.

loligoss is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes i have a thyroid problem (its genetic) and surprise surprise you can ween yourself off it. It took two years but I did it. I have to be careful with cauliflower, broccoli and other foods that effect it. I am constantly tested and the results are within the brackets of acceptable (just). As long as they stay that way I am happy.

I have high cholesterol for the last few months (never had that issue before) but my trigs are super low which is great.

I didn't connect between TOM and the choking I will check if it only happens at that time.

Thanks for answering.