Thread: Coconut Dogs page

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member

Coconut Dogs

Shop Now
    I buy a lot of coconut ... fresh as often as I can find it, and the natural large flake and the smaller grated coconut (to make my own yummy butter). I have some extra large containers that I keep the coconut flakes in, the kind that have the vacuum seal thing in the lid. The containers often make a distinctive little pop of air when you open them .... which I am finding out now, lends itself to the thundering herd of little feet skidding and sliding into me.
    My two Boston Terriers (aka dogs on crack) are notorious for hearing any little sound that comes from the kitchen, as well as having a very strong sense of smell .... and now it seems, they cannot get enough of the coconut flakes.
    I've given them coconut oil with their dried (no grain) food for a while, but on my last coconut run, a little bit of the flake escaped the bag when I was refilling the canisters and a melee ensued.
    I have noticed that their coats are sleeker and shinier with the coconut added to their diet ... and I know they are healthier as a result. Primal pups are happy pups ... they also love any little scrap of fresh venison when I am skinning or working out the meat. I'm still trying to curtail their instinct for cat though ....
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Wow, coconut flakes aren't something I'd ever think dogs would be excited over. Now I want to see if my cats like the stuff.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Yeah my two bulldogs love it.. but the flakes don't always get digested, which is really weird to me. You would think it would melt in their stomachs...but...uhm... I've seen it the next day. I give them the oil...
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Gotta be a hell of a lot better for them than regular dog treats, which are basically pressed and artificially flavored corn bits.

My dog is healthy and happy for going on a year now on a diet of mostly bone-in chicken with occasional beef offal, all raw. He went Primal about when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDink View Post
    Yeah my two bulldogs love it.. but the flakes don't always get digested, which is really weird to me. You would think it would melt in their stomachs...but...uhm... I've seen it the next day. I give them the oil...
    Well coconut flakes have a lot of fiber, which dogs aren't really equipped to digest at all. Humans do a little better at that than dogs.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Well coconut flakes have a lot of fiber, which dogs aren't really equipped to digest at all. Humans do a little better at that than dogs.
    Best then to give the occasional treat of the finer ground I think ....
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i gave mine chicken jerky as treats til they started shunning their (grain free, yes we're snazzy) food
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    Best then to give the occasional treat of the finer ground I think ....
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't make it a staple of the diet, that's for sure. But dogs eat little bits of indigestible plants and stuff all the time and it doesn't hurt them any, it just passes through their systems intact. I'm sure coconut oil is good for them, though, since it's definitely really good for people and is pretty much just saturated fat. I should start adding some coconut oil to my dog's food from time to time, see if he likes it.

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't make it a staple of the diet, that's for sure. But dogs eat little bits of indigestible plants and stuff all the time and it doesn't hurt them any, it just passes through their systems intact. I'm sure coconut oil is good for them, though, since it's definitely really good for people and is pretty much just saturated fat. I should start adding some coconut oil to my dog's food from time to time, see if he likes it.
    They REALLY like the oil... mine lick the bowl non stop trying to get every last bit!
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink