Thread: BMI calculation help/what goal to set? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

BMI calculation help/what goal to set?

Primal Fuel
    If the BMI calculator says your BMI is 30 percent, does that mean the person is about 30 percent fat? So if the person weighed 200 pounds and had a BMI of 30 percent does that mean 60 pounds of that person is fat and the goal should be to lose 60 pounds?

This may have be covered before and I thought I had it figured out but the more I read the more I confuse myself.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Nope. It's a weight to height type of calculation. It does NOT give you a measure of "pounds of fat".

What you *can* do is use the formula for BMI (found here: Body mass index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), plug in your height and DESIRED BMI and solve for weight. The difference between that number and your current weight is the amount you are aiming to lose.

If you don't want to do the math, just plug in some numbers into an online BMI calculator like this one:

Healthy Weight: Assessing Your Weight: BMI: Adult BMI Calculator: English | DNPAO | CDC

Just play with the weight number until you end up with a BMI you like. I'd recommend one on the low end of the normal range as a likely healthy weight.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

thanks I did that. I guess I would need a body fat caliper to figure it out? I always weigh more than I look so I want to try to go by how much pounds of actual fat i need to lose not just weight.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    You can use a Lean Body Mass calculator like this one - Lean Body Mass Calculator - Calculate your lean weight in just a few seconds! - and assume the rest of your weight is fat. So if your LBM is 100 lbs and you weigh 150, that means you have 33% bodyfat. If you want to go down to 20% bodyfat, assuming all your lean body mass remains intact, you would need to go down to 125 lbs or so. However, it's my understanding that it is very rare that all your lbm remains intact as you lose weight, so you would need to adjust periodically. But you wouldn't want to lose all that body fat because then you wouldn't be able to live!

Calipers are <$10 on Amazon, and you can plug the measurements into a site like this one.

For <$30 you can buy an electronic gizmo that is about as accurate, from my experience.

BMI is a good tool of generalizing about healthful weight, but it does have well-established limits, given differences in musculature and frame. It's very helpful to know your LBM to set a clearer weight goal, IMO. For instance, my LBM is in the middle of the BMI suggested weight, so I would either need to strip away some muscle mass or sand my bones a bit thinner, neither of which do I intend to do as I am neither bulky nor fond of snapping.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks everyone!