Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauerkraut page

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member

Sauerkraut

Primal Fuel
    So I decided to make some sauerkraut and now I'm afraid to eat it, lol!

It looks good. Nothing black or fuzzy that I can see through the glass. I put it in September 7th so that's 1 week today. I didn't mean to leave it so long but honestly, I'm a little nervous about opening it.

So how do I know if it's good? How can I tell if I'm going to poison myself?

And if it's ok and won't kill me, how do you eat it? My whole life I've only eaten the store bought cooked sauerkraut on hot dogs, lol!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
    So how do I know if it's good?
    It keeps you regular?

apple is offline Senior Member
    If it doesn't smell god-awful, it's good to eat. If the juice is still covering the top of the cabbage, mold can't grow on the surface, so you should be safe. I was weary about eating my own sauerkraut at first, and nothing bad happened to me!
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I will suck it up and open a jar tonight. The juice is all covering and just from the outside I don't see anything gross. I mean really, worst case, I just throw out a buck's worth of cabbage (I only made one small head - two jars).

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    It should be pretty obvious when you open it. If it smells like rotten veg, it's gone bad. If it smells sour and tangy, she's good to go. I've got my first batch in years in the cupboard too, should be ready on the weekend.

blueballoon is offline Member
    Like racingsnake said, it's pretty obvious when it goes bad. That being said, I bought a copy of "Wild Fermentation" and have read it cover to cover two or three times now. Put to rest a lot of my fears of fermentation. I highly recommend it.
    My blog (primal after 8/5/11).

kiwigirl42 is offline Member
    I have just read through 'Nourishing Traditions' and have my first jar of sauerkraut sitting on the bench. I'm so pleased with it! Nourishing Traditions is such an interesting book too. Lots of other things I want to try from it (non-grain/ legume things mind!)

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I felt the same way when I made my kraut. I had no idea what it was supposed to taste like, but I just bought a can of the stuff from a supermarket, and it tastes pretty much the same!
    It tastes... sour. A little tangy. As long as it doesn't taste BAD or smells bad, I think you may be fine. I know I was :P

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigirl42 View Post
    I have just read through 'Nourishing Traditions' and have my first jar of sauerkraut sitting on the bench. I'm so pleased with it! Nourishing Traditions is such an interesting book too. Lots of other things I want to try from it (non-grain/ legume things mind!)
    I have that book as well (on extended loan from the library) and I've been eyeballing those sauerkraut recipes, only I can't decide which one I'd like to make. The Latin American one sounds good. Which one did you make? Did you use whey, from the recipe from the same book?

kiwigirl42 is offline Member
    Did you use whey
    I made the plain sauerkraut and added in whey from home made yogurt. if you haven't got whey you can just add extra salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast