Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I still hungry? page

Supawood26 is offline Junior Member

Why am I still hungry?

Shop Now
    Hey guys, Iíll try to keep this short and sweet. I try to follow a primal lifestyle, Iím 6í4, 230ish w/ 18% bodyfat. Iíve been aiming for the following breakdown: 2500 cals, 155g fat, 75g carbs, 225g protein. My biggest problem is hunger in the mornings. My breakfast is 99 times out of 100 the same thing:

Breakfast
    Half bunch asparagus and 1 package sliced mushrooms cooked in 1.5 tbsp butter. 3 eggs cooked in non-stick spray, 3 hard-boiled eggs w/ some salsa.

I workout late in the evenings, usually finishing up and getting home around 9:15 or so, Iíll have a whey protein shake, some fruit (typically a serving, say a cup of strawberries, and 3 hard boiled eggs. (I love eggs if you canít tell, and they fill me up)

Any ideas or suggestions? Iíve been thinking about eating lighter in the mornings and heavier post-workout on my workout days and doing the opposite on rest days. Should I be eating more calories? My daily maintenance level says I should be at 3400, Iíve been trying to lose weight but Iím really focused on losing fat thus the low carbs. Iíve been hanging around 230lbs for some time, itís been a nasty plateu for me, I also believe my weekends are my biggest downfall as I tend to consume grains/bread/cereal...

Thank you guys in advance for any feedback.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    I am 6'7" and hit the gym every tues and thurs and get home about 7:30 so kinda in the same ballpark as you. I am 45 lbs down and shooting for 60 more. I am shooting for the 50g carbs and under m-f getting a bit higher on the weekends.

You did not mention what you have for lunch so that might help us help you.

I do not eat breakfast. Lunch I do a BIG salad with all the fixins (roast beef ect) or roasted chicken legs with the skin on just as an idea.

(on gym days) 30 min before the gym I eat some coconut bark and a glass (8-10oz) of spicey v8 (I know someone will scoff at me for that one) and it gives me the perfect energy burst to hit the weights hard four 45min then do 6 40yard sprints.

Soon as I get home meat goes on the grill or in the oven.

Nutshell Try this.
    Cut back on the carbs and keep them 30 min before a workout.
    Up the meat and fat.
    Get coconut oil in your life.

Give it a try and report back. Remember this works for me.

Others I am sure with have great ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, here are some more details that could help

6'4" - 230lbs, 18% BF - over the last two years, I've lost 50 lbs. I found the Primal Blueprint through Crossfit. Per the calculators recommended by PB, my maintenance is 3400 cals, so I cut down to around 2500 in an attempt to lose weight. I break that down to aim for 225g protein, 50-75g carbs, and 155g fat. Most days I feel like a zombie, particularly as the day goes on. Here is my typical day of food:

7:00 Breakfast
    3 eggs cook on stove, 3 hard boiled eggs w/ salsa, asparagus & mushrooms cooked in 1.5 tbsp butter, glass of water

11:00
    28 almonds

1:00 - Lunch
    Large salad, cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, sometimes peppers - always a large portion of meat (typically a large can of chicken breast mixed w/ mustard, and dill relish) - salad is eaten w/ 2 tbsp olive oil & vinegar

5:00
    14 almonds

6:30 Dinner
    Large piece of meat, some fat, the other 2/3rds of the plate are covered with veggies (sometimes topped w/ cheese)

8:15-9:15 - workout

9:15 - Post Workout
    2 scoops whey protein mixed with water, serving of strawberries or some type of fruit, 3 hard boiled eggs w/ salsa

I do use coconut oil on occasion to cook with. I occasionally top veggies w/ some sesame oil. I love almonds, will use avocados on occasion.

Any thoughts or tweaks? I feel like a walking zombie at times. I also constantly feel like I'm waiting for the time for my next meal. Do you think I should up the carbs? Should I up the total calories? Again, I feel like I'm hitting a serious plateau here but I don't think I should feel as worn down as I do.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I'd lose the nuts and snacks first. If that's not enough try reducing fruit. I'd be willing to bet if you focused on 2-3 big meals a day, and cut out all snacking, you'd see the hunger drop away a lot. As it is right now you have your body programmed to be expecting food every few hours, so why wouldn't it get hungry?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'd say not enough fat, and too much of a caloric deficit- esp if you feel like a zombie. See if adding 500cal of fat helps(puts you at 3000cal, still a good deficit).

Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    I'd lose the nuts and snacks first. If that's not enough try reducing fruit. I'd be willing to bet if you focused on 2-3 big meals a day, and cut out all snacking, you'd see the hunger drop away a lot. As it is right now you have your body programmed to be expecting food every few hours, so why wouldn't it get hungry?
    Oh, yeah, this too.

I really do love the almonds and use them as a source of fat. I've even toyed w/ the idea of messing w/ IF. I'm just in a rut and can't seem to control myself on the weekends either.

3000 cals would be a good bump, would I keep the carbs around 50-75g, protein at 225g, and bump the fat from 155g to 210g? That's 500 cals worth of fat alone, 55 grams.

What sources of fat do you guys use to add on? Almonds, cottage cheese, avocados all have carbs in them as well as the fat. What source of pure fat would you use to supplement what I'm already eating?

Again, I don't eat much fruit, typically a small dose post-workout. If I take that out, what would my post-workout nutrition look like?

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supawood26 View Post
    ... I also believe my weekends are my biggest downfall as I tend to consume grains/bread/cereal....
    I would try ditching the weekend grains and see what happens. Good luck!

For fat I'd suggest gf butter/ghee, lard, tallow, or coconut oil.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Supawood26 View Post
    I really do love the almonds and use them as a source of fat. I've even toyed w/ the idea of messing w/ IF. I'm just in a rut and can't seem to control myself on the weekends either.

3000 cals would be a good bump, would I keep the carbs around 50-75g, protein at 225g, and bump the fat from 155g to 210g? That's 500 cals worth of fat alone, 55 grams.

What sources of fat do you guys use to add on? Almonds, cottage cheese, avocados all have carbs in them as well as the fat. What source of pure fat would you use to supplement what I'm already eating?

Again, I don't eat much fruit, typically a small dose post-workout. If I take that out, what would my post-workout nutrition look like?
    I wouldn't worry about berries after a workout, they're probably fine!

For pure fat, think of more butter and oils in your foods. Can you add some heavy whipping cream or coconut milk to your smoothies? Or what about eating some almonds or avocado?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast