Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAFO Meat Vs. Grains? page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I try my best to push the better quality meat during my father and my grocery run, but sometimes he'll just end up throwing in the CAFO ground beef, or the Perdue chicken. Tried to show him articles, tried to educate him a little on the subject, but he still gets stingy on me. Would be struggling bad if I had to buy my own food, so I can't complain, but I'm wondering if the CAFO meat in my diet (about 8-12oz per day) is actually doing more harm than good...I understand that cholesterol and saturated fats aren't horrible for us, but there is that idea of MODERATION, and CAFO meats throw those two out of proportion...Curious, are grains really more healthy than the CAFO stuff?

Also...I know there are a lot of people outside America here..How do they produce their meat? Are there CAFOs elsewhere like in America?

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I don't understand the question. Are you asking whether CAFO meats worse than grains? No, they aren't. Just stick to leaner meats.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

The reason CAFO meat is bad is largely because of the animal's grain consumption. So why would the grains itself be any better?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Acmebike is offline Member

Certainly feel no anguish eating CAFO beef. When you can, eat wild, eat grass fed, eat pastured. When the situation dictates grain fed meats, stick to meat from ungulates (beef, goats, deer, things that chew their cud etc) rather than pork, fish and the like. The multi stomach system does a better job of making the best fats out of the poor grain feed, the best it can that is.

The elimination of packaged foods and grains, vegetable oils, and sugars are so far and above the healthiest part of any paleo/primal diet plan, that grain fed meats have a far less damaging effect than you are stressing over! Assuming you are not on a zero-carb regime. If so, the CAFO needs to go! But in a widely varied primal nutritional plan, you don&#39;t need that much beef protein anyway!

To offset the CAFO beef, perhaps take a good omega 3 supplement. Also be certain to carefully cook the meat to avoid any bacterial contamination from large feed lot and packaging.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Oh yah, and the famous and expensive and coveted Japanese Kobe Beef is very particularly and proudly grain fed. Grains make beef fatten up massively and puts a lot of soft fatty tissue marbled throughout the muscle meat.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Chima_p, apparently the "nasties" accumulate in the fat - high omega 6 and so on. So the "official" advice would be lean meat, then supplement omega 3.

FWIW the UK doesn&#39;t have CAFOs but most (if not all) beef is grain-finished. Ditto pigs. Sheep more likely to "escape" that fate!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Sacrifice sat fat and mono fat and taste for a tiny little bit of omega 6? No thanks. I&#39;ll just take more omega 3.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Interesting...Do you think the saturated fats in the CAFO meat are different, and less healthy, than the grass-fed then?

I was explaining my new eating habits to my grandmother last night, and she said that her mother used to eat like that as well...She lived on a farm, ate all fresh animals and eggs, had beautiful skin from the fat I&#39;m assuming, but suffered from 7 strokes due to plaque build-up. Argh!

I&#39;d bet your great grandma&#39;s strokes had nothing to do with the fresh meat and eggs. Meat and eggs don&#39;t contribute to arterial plaques. It would be interesting to know her baked goods habits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast