Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 30 Day Challenge... again page

catholicchick is offline Senior Member

My 30 Day Challenge... again

Primal Fuel
    I read Primal Blueprint last year and started eating primal, exercising and playing back then and lost about 30 pounds. I was feeling healthy looking great and then... I injured my back. I rolled over one morning with a pinched nerve and still have problems with it. I think I became depressed about not being able to do the things I normally do and with depression comes bad eating habits, in my case.

Anyway, on Monday night I saw the 30 day Challenge post and thought, I need to get back on track. I am not one for breakfast, never have been. I had a chicken breast and salad for lunch and a steak with mushrooms, onions and garlic as well as a salad for dinner.

Today I brought a chicken breast and asparagus with me for lunch at work - we normally have staff lunch on Wednesday, but I thought I would play it safe.

I am a little nervous about exercising, when I walk, my right foot still goes numb due to the pinched nerve. It's been almost 6 months since I have been exercising. I think I will try with swimming. Lifting heavy things is going to have to wait for a while.

Good luck with your new challenge!!! Taking the first couple steps to 're-start' something is always the hardest.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully the primal eating will help with the back..if it's inflamed..I have been having insanely bad problems with my hip and barely able to walk..since being here for the past 16 days I am now very mobile and doing couch to 5k training as well.Good luck for your 30 days!

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it.

I know we are not supposed to watch the scale, but I have lost 2.5 pounds since Monday! Woo Hoo. Keeps me on track,(even if it is water weight :-).

For dinner last night I had a Mexican chicken Caesar salad with avocado and cilantro. No breakfast, as usual. For lunch today I had 3 chicken thighs with Reds Hot Sauce and a side salad from El Pollo Loco. My downfall is the diet pepsi. I am working on limiting my intake. It used to be a constant with me (3 to 4 32 oz sodas a day), I am changing slowly to water. Yesterday I had 36 oz total and today I have had 24 oz.

I have not been able to make it to the gym today to swim, I am hoping to do that later, I have a date with a plumber during the time I had planned my swim. I did reach out to one of the trainers at my club to schedule an appointment to do my body measurements, body fat and such. If I don't hear back from my email to her today I will call tomorrow. (If I write this down it becomes something I have to do!)

moxie is offline Member
    Catholicchick,

I understand your frustration dealing with an injury!

I was actually in decent shape - not great when I went into college. I weighed 190lbs and was an active lacrosse player.

My freshman year I dislocated my shoulder and being young and thinking I was invincible this was a huge blow to my self-esteem. I became depressed and that first year I came home weighing 230lbs. A 40lb increase. over the next three years I shot up to my current high which was 266lbs.

I finally got my original shoulder back in order and working quite well. Except a few weeks ago I subluxated the other shoulder!

It is frustrating not to be able to lift as much as I could or even do normal things like push-ups.

Keep on pushing through!

nowakow2 is offline Junior Member
    It looks like you're well on you're way to jumping back on the Primal bandwagon.

Red face

After reading Moxie's journal, I decided that I need to set some goals. So first my stat's. I am 43 years old, 5'8", 185.2 pounds, married with two kids (13 and 4). I started primal again on Monday at 188 pounds, so I am feeling pretty good. My goal weight is 160 pounds. My lifestyle is pretty sedentary, I spend my days working at a desk and chasing after the kids at home. I am fortunate that my husband likes this way of eating and has had success losing weight as well. My kids, well, not real pleased about doing away with some of their favorite foods, but we are working on incorporating into their diets as well.

My short term goal (30 Day Challenge):
    1. Lose 8 pounds.
    2. Consistently eat primal.
    3. Limit my diet pepsi intake to 24 oz or less per day
    4. Starting moving slowly
    5. Play outside with the kids after work.

My 6 month goal (which overlaps with Thanksgiving and Christmas - so pray for me )
    1. Lose 25 pounds
    2. Be free of diet pepsi
    3. Go on hiking or bike riding trips two weekends per month.
    4. Have the kids switched over to eating primal.

That's as far out as I can think right now.

Last night for dinner I had Coho Trout with homemade tartar sauce and asparagus. This morning for breakfast I was in a hurry and had a pita pocket breakfast from Jack in the Box with a small diet pepsi.

Once again - thank you everyone for your encouragement, it means a lot!

Francesca is offline Member
    Hey Catholicchick! Just had a read of your blog posts and sounds like you've made a really positive step forwards! I too have had trouble with injury in the past and it held me back especially in terms of mood drop. I have just started the 30-day Challenge (again) this week and hope it will kick start my journey into all-round better health.

Wishing you the best of luck with yours
    "BELLY'S GONNA GETCHA!"

My Primal Journal

Thanks Francesca - I'll check in on your progress too!

I've been reading the blogs on Leptin and decided to download the ebook Master Leptin this weekend. Very interesting and not opposing thoughts to what we are doing here. I am trying to eat breakfast. This morning I had an Italian Sausage and a scrambled egg. It takes some getting use to eating in the morning.

I am proud of myself and have to share - on Friday I had chicken and a salad from El Pollo Loco. I bought a small diet pepsi took two sips and didn't finish it. Friday night I opened a diet pepsi out of habit and drank less than half. Haven't had one since! This is a huge success for me. The best part is that I haven't had the caffeine headaches I have had in the past. Not sure why, but sure am thankful.

I had a good weekend, eating tri-tip and chicken with salads for the most part. On Sunday, I had to make a Fast Food run while taking kids all over and had a grilled chicken breast and side salad of coleslaw. It was the best I could do at the time (uggh).

Didn't lose any additional weight this weekend, but need to add some exercise. Planning on swimming today at lunch time.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Haven't posted for a couple of days, but still staying with the program and have started swimming daily. Today I went to the gym for a body fat and bmi measurement - Body Fat = 34.6% BMI 27%. Thought she was going to do body measurements too, but I guess I will have my husband do those for me tomorrow. I need to add that I lost a little over 5 lbs so far. Woo Hoo!

It was staff lunch again today and I once again brought my lunch - the rectory cook made shrimp and rice with a green salad. I love it when she makes salads with lunch, helps fill me up! I did sneak a couple of shrimp, but brought some of that Hawaiian Pig recipe I found here - yum (only had Kosher salt and cracked myself up with the untold joke that's lying there) and asparagus.

Still sticking to the no diet pepsi thing which makes my children sad, they love sneaking drinks from my glass. I also posted my goals everywhere (thanks again Moxie). I walked in my office today and one of my co-workers was reading them - she was very impressed (they are above my computer in my office where I can't help but look at them several times a day).

Today my honey is taking me out to dinner with a group of his work buddies for a celebration on the end of the season. Say a prayer for me that I stay strong tonight. Planing on at least a glass of wine.
    Last edited by catholicchick; 09-21-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my weight loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast