Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constipation and Chronic fatigue syndrome Primal help! page

curreh is offline Junior Member

Smile Constipation and Chronic fatigue syndrome Primal help!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everybody! Finally getting around to posting on the forums, I hope I'm in the right section! I'm looking for some help with getting primal right, mainly the diet, and any help whatsoever with chronic fatigue syndrome, or what my doctor currently believes is Adrenal Fatigue and is about to treat me for.

First my general back-story, I'm an 18 year-old Male living in Australia, and I had glandular fever - or Mono (Mononucleosis) as I believe they call it in the states - three years ago now. I never really returned to good health afterwards and was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Since then I've learnt a lot about health which I'm very glad for, and have made several steps forward towards good health with setbacks here and there, but getting better!

I worked a lot on my diet changing, eliminating all preservatives, sugars, caffeine, dairy, gluten and eggs (which I seem to react to but am not sure if it is just something that is added to the eggs or some other factor/s) Having a Filipino mother I've always eaten rice so I kept that into my diet until I started reading about paleo, and stumbled upon mark's daily apple. It's come to make sense to me that there really isn't much nutrition in the rice apart from plain carbs, and would be much better eating something like quinoa or sweet potato, but I thought I would try the low carb approach.

This is where the biggest problem I'm having is, whenever I try going primal I get constipated for 2-3 days at a time (currently been constipated for 3 days at the moment : ( trying to clear it up with prune juice) so I must be doing something wrong. I'm taking a probiotic at the moment, and am thinking of making my own sauerkraut with the recipe on the website and possibly finding a digestive enzyme.

I think what might be happening is that I've taken the rice out of my diet, and increased the meat intake and the vegetable intake equally, where what I actually need to do is keep the meat intake the same and increase the vege's/fruit a lot? Could it be too much protein for my stomach making me constipated? I've also read whilst searching through the forums that it might be because I'm not eating enough fat, what kind of fats should I add on if I'm having trouble with this constipation?

I love the energy I had and the lack of cravings for food when I go primal, just I need to figure this constipation out, I never got constipated whilst eating rice but without it things just don't work. I'm thinking of just settling with substituting rice for quinoa and sweet potato but I'd still love any help anybody could give me with constipation and chronic fatigue syndrome

thanks for your time!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Veggies = natural laxative:-)...Increase, and you should notice a change...Grok On!

dado Guest
    Try a glass of milk or two.

When I was knocking back a gallon and a half a day I had really smooth drops.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    veggies and liquids in general, maybe even an avocado and some ground golden flaxseed.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I had issues with constipation most of my adult life. When I stopped eating grains and started eating healthy fats instead, the issue ceased. I have always eaten lots of veggies and meat so that was not the solution. It was deleting all grains and adding healthy animal fats and/or coconut oil. Coconut oil is certainly good for regulation. As matter of fact I would be careful how much of that you ingest to start with. It can act as a laxative until you get used to it.
    Cooking with CO makes your food taste sooo fresh though. hmmmm

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Put some butter on those veggies.

Hilde is offline Member
    I would also recommend the coconut oil/ coconut milk, but start carefully! I got stomach pains when I first started with coconut oil, but I started with a big amount. If you search on this forum for coconut oil/milk you'll find out why, don't remember at the moment. BTW, I also had mono and have CFS and would love any ideas if any of you know of any alternative treatment or something.
    It turns out that common sense is not as common as we thought.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Leafy greens, plenty of healthy fats, and add magnesium citrate supplement. Your body will balance out over time.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by curreh View Post
    This is where the biggest problem I'm having is, whenever I try going primal I get constipated for 2-3 days at a time (currently been constipated for 3 days at the moment : ( trying to clear it up with prune juice) so I must be doing something wrong. I'm taking a probiotic at the moment, and am thinking of making my own sauerkraut with the recipe on the website and possibly finding a digestive enzyme.

I think what might be happening is that I've taken the rice out of my diet, and increased the meat intake and the vegetable intake equally, where what I actually need to do is keep the meat intake the same and increase the vege's/fruit a lot? Could it be too much protein for my stomach making me constipated? I've also read whilst searching through the forums that it might be because I'm not eating enough fat, what kind of fats should I add on if I'm having trouble with this constipation?
    Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
    The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG

curreh is offline Junior Member
    thanks so much for all the replies and help! Got into some coconut oil some avocado, probiotic and magnesium this morning Going to read through all your stuff js290, thank you very much

Oh and Classic I absolutely love cooking with coconut oil now haha, the flavour it adds to everything is brilliant, can't help but snack on it whilst I'm cooking ;P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast