Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I did something bad and now im paying for it page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Uh, just for the record, and I think it's understood, but what you did is NOT a carb refeed, not by a long shot.

gorski is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    Either your sarcasm is a little over the top or you don't realize that != means 'does not equal'.
    != doesnt work when you have words before it, only numbers.

Sugar != healthy, reads sugar! = healthy.

Use /= instead

lol

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gorski View Post
    != doesnt work when you have words before it, only numbers.

Sugar != healthy, reads sugar! = healthy.

Use /= instead

lol
    Why would 'sugar != healthy' read 'sugar! = healthy'? It doesn't read that, at all, and it's not even close.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Uh, just for the record, and I think it's understood, but what you did is NOT a carb refeed, not by a long shot.
    yeah, I would strongly recommend reading more about carb refeeds before you attempt another one.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Hey Mike, if it makes you feel any better, you've got some grouchy achy company. I had a few days of sub-optimal food choices and I've been a cranky, achy, fatigued grump for going on the 2nd day.
    I was called to do a last minute replacement on a charter boat where I didn't have any control over what was provisioned since the chef did it and the crew basically gets what the crew gets. The charter guests were all ovo/lacto pescatarian so we all got to eat what they ate. Yay. Not.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    yeah, I would strongly recommend reading more about carb refeeds before you attempt another one.
    yeah i guess i will have to. i know that starchy carbs are recommended but didnt know why other then they arent as unhealthy as unstarchy carbs. pizza and doughnuts obviously werent good choices but i was under the impression it was "teh carbs" that were important, not how you obtained them. i figured if i was going to eat carbs might as well be something i enjoyed
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    yeah i guess i will have to. i know that starchy carbs are recommended but didnt know why other then they arent as unhealthy as unstarchy carbs. pizza and doughnuts obviously werent good choices but i was under the impression it was "teh carbs" that were important, not how you obtained them. i figured if i was going to eat carbs might as well be something i enjoyed
    On carb re-feed days it's important to keep fat low. Pizza and doughnuts are carby but they also contain a lot of fat (and the unhealthy, inflammatory, PUFA, omega 6-heavy fats too). Whereas stuff like rice and sweet potatoes are basically pure starch.
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 09-14-2011 at 07:44 AM.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    For those of you that are wondering... != is from programming, and we have a LOT of geeks around here (i.e.: people willing to spend real time and energy to understand things of interest to them such as HEALTH). It's just some of the geeks are also computer/math/science geeks as well.

Here's how it often runs...
    a = b (define a to be equal to b)
    a == b (a and b are the same)
    a >= b (a is the same as or bigger than b)
    a <= b (reverse of the above)
    a != b (a is NOT the same as b)

I suspect it's because there is no "equal with a slash through it" character. :-)

With the geek/primal overlap, I see a lot of tech jargon slipped in here periodically.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I think we've all done something like this Mike. Just say 20 Hail Groks and eat a steak. You'll be better in the morning.
    Georgette

Sean_OToole is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Kind of an aside, but I wrote a little guide on using math symbols in writing a while back. (Some of my friends seemed to be struggling with it.) It strikes as somewhat relevant here.

The equals sign is a mathematical symbol that denotes equality. It is used when two sides of an equation are exactly equal, not simply when they are similar to each other. It certainly is not used to give an adjectival or nominal description of what something is, eg 3x+2=linear expression.

If you are speaking English and you want to express that you like bacon or that you believe the Giants are superior to all other baseball teams then you are probably going to want to use some form of the verb "to be". So you might say, "Bacon IS awesome!" or, "The Giants ARE the best!" You don't want to say, "Bacon=awesome," or "Giants=best". This would suggest that the two terms are interchangeable, which they surely are not. ("What do you think about the Giants?" "They're bacon!" or "Bacon is the Giants food!") When in doubt, stick to English words like are or is, and you probably stand a greatly reduced chance of sounding like a jackass.

The inequality sign is a bit more lenient simply because it is far more likely that the different things you're discussing are, in fact, not equal to each other. For example, "bacon does not equal is awesome" is a correct statement even though we can all agree that bacon is awesome. While it may sometimes be desirable to express an inequality in your writing ("Tom Selleck does not equal Tom Skerrit"), the standard English keyboard does not allow for the creation of an inequality sign. So rather than try to create some sort of lol-emoticon type inequality sign like /=/ or != you should once again probably just stick to English words. ("Despite having similar names and appearances, Tom Selleck and Tom Skerritt are not actually the same entity.")

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast