Thread: Experts Believe 366 Million People Now Suffer from Diabetes page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Experts Believe 366 Million People Now Suffer from Diabetes

Primal Fuel
    During a European meeting of the International Diabetes Federation, it was announced that 366 million people now suffer from the disease and that number is only going up.
    Experts Believe 366 Million People Now Suffer from Diabetes - WIBX 950

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I believe it.

And I'm pretty sure at least 25% (and growing) of those people are found in India.

Until people (especially the medical community) realize that the best way to treat diabetes is not just by 'eating less and losing weight,' but specifically eating less/no grains/sugar/fruit/starch (and therefore weight loss will follow as a result), this epidemic will just grow and grow.

In fact, South Asians (people of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/etc. descent) are likely to develop diabetes at 'normal' BMIs--there is no correlation between BMI and diabetes likelihood for them like there is for non-Hispanic white Americans. As long as people continue to believe that weight is a sufficient proxy measure for susceptibility to chronic disease, their health will suffer. (And if anyone doubts this re: indian people I can post links to the studies I've been reading).

So in addition to the awful CW, I blame this epidemic in part on the fat = unhealthy and root of all health problems (rather than, a lot of times, concurrent with health problems), and thin = healthy ("how can I have diabetes? I'm a skinny vegetarian?!") paradigm that most people buy into.
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 09-14-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    So in addition to the awful CW, I blame this epidemic in part on the fat = unhealthy and root of all health problems (rather than, a lot of times, concurrent with health problems), and thin = healthy ("how can I have diabetes? I'm a skinny vegetarian?!") paradigm that most people buy into.
    I know so many people who think like that. They believe their weight is the best indicator of health. It's been a real wake-up call to a few of them who've ended up with health problems (heart attacks, bad cholesterol numbers, and diabetes). I actually had one suggest that I should be the one with diabetes, not her, because I am obese and she is not. But what she fails to understand is that one's activity and diet rules over BMI status.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

loligoss is offline Senior Member

Stop the low-fat highly processed food and you will solve the issue

It is so frustrating that people think that eating low-fat is good for them.

Also all the sugar free foods that are full of "rubbish" that causes stomach issues and all the processed foods that have a stamp good for diabetics. Yeh right!

I think that people should be encouraged to eat real food and that junk food should be taxed. Unlike what really happens where organic food is taxed!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I know so many people who think like that. They believe their weight is the best indicator of health. It's been a real wake-up call to a few of them who've ended up with health problems (heart attacks, bad cholesterol numbers, and diabetes). I actually had one suggest that I should be the one with diabetes, not her, because I am obese and she is not. But what she fails to understand is that one's activity and diet rules over BMI status.
    What an awful thing to say. I hope you pulled a Grok and punched her out?

Quote Originally Posted by loligoss View Post
    It is so frustrating that people think that eating low-fat is good for them.

Also all the sugar free foods that are full of "rubbish" that causes stomach issues and all the processed foods that have a stamp good for diabetics. Yeh right!

I think that people should be encouraged to eat real food and that junk food should be taxed. Unlike what really happens where organic food is taxed!
    Better yet, repeal the freakin' corn subsidies. The United States' obesity rate would go down by at least 20% (and world poverty would decrease by the same amount).

But of course Iowa is a swing state, and we have the stupid electoral system, so no politician would dare suggest such a thing.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    What an awful thing to say. I hope you pulled a Grok and punched her out?
    It kinda crossed my mind. She's family, though, so I just rolled my eyes. I've told her in the past about the primal lifestyle, but she's one of those who lives and dies by CW's recommendations.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    It kinda crossed my mind. She's family, though, so I just rolled my eyes. I've told her in the past about the primal lifestyle, but she's one of those who lives and dies by CW's recommendations.
    Family or not, you should have clocked her skinny ass.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.