Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to sprints - question page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

New to sprints - question

So after eating Primal (well, Primalish - I still don't moderate dairy or fruit) and doing moderate cardio (cut down from more intensive cardio) and weight resistance training for a month, today I took the leap to incorporate sprints. I used the Cybex cross trainer, interval 1, level 1, for 30 minutes. Each time the hill appeared (once every two minutes, lasting for a a minute), I gave it my all. At first, I did the sprint for the full 60 seconds, but by the third interval I cut that down to sprinting for 30 seconds. So it was sprint for 30 seconds on an incline, slow for 30 seconds on an incline, and slow for 60 seconds not on an incline.

Basically, I felt like I was going to throw up after 15 minutes. I managed to make it the full 30 minutes -- including a 2 minute warmup and a 2 minute cool down -- but ugh. Ugh!

So my question is, did I do too much for the first time doing interval sprints? Or is this a good baseline for me to use to measure my weekly sprinting progress? (Maybe next Wednesday, I won't feel nauseous until, like 16 minutes.)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Sprints should be at full speed for 4-8 repetitions of 10-30 seconds each, for most people. It takes training for most people to sprint more than 30 seconds at a time, and even those who can do it are usually training for a specific purpose (400m race, or longer).

That's a total of between 40 seconds to 4 minutes of total sprint time, plus whatever rest you have in between.

Start with short sprints and build up. Do them outside, as treadmills can interfere with good running form and throw off your pace. Don't look at your watch. Run as hard as you can until you feel yourself slowing down. Slow down gradually. It might only be 5 seconds of running at top speed, but that's okay.

Ah -- okay, thanks! Next week instead of doing intervals on the machine, I'll run down my block as fast as I can and then walk back, and repeat, for the 4 - 8 reps.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Ah -- okay, thanks! Next week instead of doing intervals on the machine, I'll run down my block as fast as I can and then walk back, and repeat, for the 4 - 8 reps.
    is your block on an incline? (you said "run down") if so, run UP the hill, less chance of you busting your shit, and a better workout.

It winds a little, but isn't really on an incline. "Down" in this sense is more getting from Here to Over There.

skeedaddy is offline Member

sand is good

If you find it possible, try to sprint in the sand. This ups the ante for the workout and reduces impact stress...Besides the beach (which is the best!) I have utilized a volleyball court and a childrens play area surrounding a jungle gym. I use the 40/20 method meaning 40 paces at a moderate to slow pace then 20 paces ALL OUT repeating for 8 cycles. Since you are just beginning, take Mark's advice and "begin slowly", I didn't and paid the price. Bent my big toe under at full stride forward motion. One year later my toe no longer bothers me.
    Last edited by skeedaddy; 09-18-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks, skeedaddy! I'll keep my eyes open for sand and sand-like grounds for sprinting opportunities. My next sprint session will be on Thursday, which may be on my exercise bike if it's raining too heavily outside.

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member
    I bought a bicycle. At my age, sprinting is out of the question ... at least for now. I do 8-10 all out sprints for a minimum of 10 seconds, then I pedal back to my starting point and catch my breath for a minute or two.

Keep in mind that I am only 4 weeks into TPB, so I plan on increasing the distance/duration of my sprints as I grow stronger. I am already feeling things getting easier.
    Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
    Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
    9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
    Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger

http://www.momentsnoticed.com

Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
    http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro

Facebook Pro Page (Be a Fan!):
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moment...C/111048610165

Hey, Bamaphotopro, that sounds great! Maybe I'll try your bike sprint tomorrow.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think you're first intervals were great! do what you can do - not everyone is at the same level. I started sprinting and on my second time doing it pulled a hammie then I was forced to not sprint for a very long time. I started again in the treadmill going up hill as fast as I could and hurt my achilles....now that's healed and I've managed to be injury free on the tread mill doing sprint intervals for 3 miles and its better than doing nothing. If I manage to get outside and run great - if not, so be it! YOU do what YOU CAN DO!.
    Health is Wealth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast